Thinking of Moving to Australia

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟232,590.00
Faith
Christian
Two more questions for the moment, all answer appreciated.

1) Is it common to use credit cards of there, and are there any benefits to using them like airline miles or a percent going into a saving account?

Very common. I use mine for almost everything and then pay off the balance each month - it's about to get me a new TV almost free on points:clap:

They've put some caps on so you can't but a new car, house etc and then pocket the points like you could do years ago though.

2) Do you have to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to purchase a house?

Yes. Be careful - if you aren't at least a resident, you can only buy new property (e.g. an off the plan flat/townhouse), and I think you need approval from the Foreign Invetiment review board. You can't just go and buy a house that's already been occupied - as in normal real estate.

They did waive this requirement a while back but it's been reinstated

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Be careful - if you aren't at least a resident, you can only buy new property (e.g. an off the plan flat/townhouse), and I think you need approval from the Foreign Invetiment review board. You can't just go and buy a house that's already been occupied - as in normal real estate.

They did waive this requirement a while back but it's been reinstated

"Yes" is incorrect. The person you're dealing with is moving to Australia. There is therefore, as you note a difference between 'resident' and 'investor'.

Your post therefore is confusing the issue.

Note the web-site says: "This advisory board reports to Treasury and reviews all applications by to purchase residential real estate, no matter what the value of the intended purchase is, by anyone who is NOT an Australian citizen, an approved migrant, a permanent resident of Australia, a foreign national holding a permanent visa or a person who, despite being a foreign citizen, is entitled to permanent residence status in Australia, should they take it up, such as a citizen of New Zealand. These people are holders of "special category visas"."
Foreign Investors - Buying property as a foreigner or Temporary Resident in Australia

It is my understanding that they are moving here permanently. Therefore it does not matter that they retain foreign citizenship in buying a house/flat

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟232,590.00
Faith
Christian
"Yes" is incorrect. The person you're dealing with is moving to Australia. There is therefore, as you note a difference between 'resident' and 'investor'.

Your post therefore is confusing the issue.

Given the money involved it's wise to make sure you can purchase. I'd be very careful if I was using a student visa or some other means to "get in the door" and then apply onshore rather than becoming a PR or citizen.

It was open for a while but the current government changed the rules back in April (stupidly, they made it immediate resulting in a lot of calls to lawyers on the Friday it was announced by people attending auctions that weekend and killed quite a few sales in the process)

The following cases may apply until you get your PR. If in doubt talk to a lawyer.

Temporary residents

Q43.I was told that, as a temporary resident, from 24 April I need approval to purchase property. I signed an unconditional contract before 24 April 2010. Should I apply for approval?

No, temporary residents only need to apply if the contract was entered into on or after 24 April 2010 (the date that the Assistant Treasurer announced the policy changes).

Q44. I have submitted an application for a temporary resident visa. In the meantime, I have been granted a bridging visa. Am I eligible to buy an established (second hand) dwelling?

No, not until you receive your temporary resident visa (temporary residents include bridging visa holders only if they are awaiting the outcome of an application for permanent residency). Once you receive your visa, you may apply to buy an established dwelling to use as your principal place or residence.

In other words, if you're a temporary resident waiting for a PR, you need FIRB approval to buy a secondhand dwelling.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks again for all the help.

Another quick question, do you all have any preference on which airline you use?

We are looking at

V Australia

Air New Zealand

and Quantas,

Leaning toward V Australia atm though.

QANTAS (no 'u' in it because it's an acronym) has a very good safety record with no major crashes since the jet-age began.

V Australia (owned by Virgin) only flies out of one US city - LA.

Air New Zealand are pretty good

I'd go QANTAS

QANTAS began as Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 8, 2011
Wollongong
✟15,182.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thanks again for all the help.

Another quick question, do you all have any preference on which airline you use?

We are looking at

V Australia

Air New Zealand

and Quantas,

Leaning toward V Australia atm though.

Get the best deal. They don't differ greatly in quality of service. I flew Air NZ when I went from Sydney to LA, and return, and thought it was great.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
just a little off topic. Can anyone help me find the application form to become a permanent resident. My friend is looking for one and has been told to download it by immigration. However I can't find the form and it is not available at a post office and immigration won't post it out. thanks in advance. What I really need is the link to the exact form or the exact name of the form.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
just a little off topic. Can anyone help me find the application form to become a permanent resident. My friend is looking for one and has been told to download it by immigration. However I can't find the form and it is not available at a post office and immigration won't post it out. thanks in advance. What I really need is the link to the exact form or the exact name of the form.

Good luck

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
thanks for that but sadly we have tried and we just end up in circles. She doesn't need a visa but permanent residency. She has been living and working here for quite a few years.

There's a "Permanent Residence" FAQs page here

Don't know if it'll help

Upvote 0