Politics
US-Democrat
Got this from Facebook.

They call us ”The Elderly”
We were born in the 40-50-60’s.
We grew up in the 50-60-70's.
We studied in the 60-70-80's.
We were dating in the 70-80-90's.
We got married and discovered the world in the 70-80-90's.
We venture into the 80-90’s.
We stabilize in the 2000’s.
We got wiser in the 2010’s.
And we are going firmly through and beyond 2020.
Turns out we've lived through EIGHT different decades...
TWO different centuries...
TWO different millennia...
We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.
We have gone from slides to YouTube, from vinyl records to online music, from handwritten letters to email and Whats App.
From live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, colour TV and then to 3D HD TV.
We went to the Video store and now we watch Netflix.
We got to know the first computers, punch cards, floppy disks and now we have gigabytes and megabytes on our smartphones.
We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long trousers, Oxfords, flares, shell suits & blue jeans.
We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, polio, tuberculosis, swine flu and now COVID-19.
We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, petrol or diesel cars and now we drive hybrids or electric.
Yes, we've been through a lot but what a great life we've had!
They could describe us as “exennials”; people who were born in that world of the fifties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.
We've kind of “Seen-It-All”!
Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.
It is our generation that has literally adapted to “CHANGE”.
A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which will be UNIQUE.
-Author unknown
Keep on keeping on!

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟364,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Got this from Facebook.

We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.
We have gone from slides to YouTube, from vinyl records to online music, from handwritten letters to email and Whats App.
From live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, colour TV and then to 3D HD TV.
We got to know the first computers, punch cards, floppy disks and now we have gigabytes and megabytes on our smartphones.
We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long trousers, Oxfords, flares, shell suits & blue jeans.
We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, polio, tuberculosis, swine flu and now COVID-19.
We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, petrol or diesel cars and now we drive hybrids or electric.
They could describe us as “exennials”; people who were born in that world of the fifties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.
Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.
A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which will be UNIQUE.
-Author unknown
Keep on keeping on!
I like, we have succeeded tremendously.. .i will wager a bet those in the future will not provide even a third of what we have accomplished.

Upvote 0

Faith Love 50

I'm just a sinner saved by Grace
Nov 3, 2023
Roanoke
✟1,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Its amazing how much we seen and gone through over the years, from Vinal to digital to online streaming. I remember when the microwave began and first cell phones I could not hear off of (hard of hearing with a Hearing Aid then and now a Cochlear Implant now) times and technology changed a lot, but still a way to go as far as technology, cars, and the like. I often wonder where the world will be in few years or when I am long gone in heaven with my Saviour.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember watching Cassius Clay (Mohammed Ali) vs. Sonny Liston in 1964 ( 65?) with my grandfather, father and brother as there was one TV and that is what grandpa wanted to watch. He also liked Mitch Miller's show. ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember watching Cassius Clay (Mohammed Ali) vs. Sonny Liston in 1964 ( 65?) with my grandfather, father and brother as there was one TV and that is what grandpa wanted to watch. He also liked Mitch Miller's show. ^_^
I didn't like Ali growing up because of his mouth. It wasn't till the 80s that I appreciated how smart of a fighter he was.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟795,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Got this from Facebook.

-Author unknown
Keep on keeping on!
Yes, I like that. My dad lived from 1910-1990 and he often remarked that he had seen dramatic changes, but I think our generation has seen more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My mother just passed. She lived from 1925 - Dec. 2023
She would talk in the past quite a bit before she died. Didn't remember the present but remembered a lot of the past. She mentioned she had been on quarantine for have some illness, couldn't remember what, and so there was a sign on the house by the local health department that the house was on quarantine and no visitors allowed. Her brothers and sisters stayed with relatives.

She also was a heck of seamstress and knew shorthand. No one knows shorthand now. I wish I had learned it to take notes in college.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My mother ruled the TV when she was home. She watched Bonanza and Andy Williams when I still lived at home. When she was in her eighties and nineties she was really only interested in politics and liked to watch 60 Minutes. My grandparents liked Gunsmoke and Lawrence Welk.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟96,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember watching Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) leading the Milwaukee Bucks to the NBA title. I bought a book from the Weekly Reader mail order form, called "Big A The story of Lew Alcindor" in 4th grade. I still have it somewhere in the house
JJ
I seen Jackie Robinson's final public appearance live at Riverfront stadium before the A's - Reds '72 world series

I find it funny, that old music from my parents generation was called "oldies" , but my generation's music is called "classic rock" - like we cannot admit we're getting old.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep, I grew up on Gunsmoke and Bonanza and Andy Griffith and Matlock and Westerns.
I do miss Mighty Mouse cartoons shows like Flicka and Fury and Sky King. ^_^

Loved this guy!
1706390347352.png

Here is one of the cartoons:
MIGHTY MOUSE: Wolf! Wolf! - Full Cartoon Episode - HD

Attachments

• 1706390347462.png
    1706390347462.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My mother just passed. She lived from 1925 - Dec. 2023
She would talk in the past quite a bit before she died. Didn't remember the present but remembered a lot of the past. She mentioned she had been on quarantine for have some illness, couldn't remember what, and so there was a sign on the house by the local health department that the house was on quarantine and no visitors allowed. Her brothers and sisters stayed with relatives.

She also was a heck of seamstress and knew shorthand. No one knows shorthand now. I wish I had learned it to take notes in college.
I'm sorry for your loss! My mother was born in Michigan. She passed away in Florida(her favorite state). She spent her adult life moving from one place to another, often going back to Florida. Her six children didn't enjoy changing schools so often. My mother also knew shorthand and was a clerk typist.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember watching Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) leading the Milwaukee Bucks to the NBA title. I bought a book from the Weekly Reader mail order form, called "Big A The story of Lew Alcindor" in 4th grade. I still have it somewhere in the house
JJ
I seen Jackie Robinson's final public appearance live at Riverfront stadium before the A's - Reds '72 world series

I find it funny, that old music from my parents generation was called "oldies" , but my generation's music is called "classic rock" - like we cannot admit we're getting old.
Did like seeing the Detroit Tigers win the 1968 World Series., and again in 1984. And hey! The Lions are good again. :clap::clap:

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry for your loss! My mother was born in Michigan. She passed away in Florida(her favorite state). She spent her adult life moving from one place to another, often going back to Florida. Her six children didn't enjoy changing schools so often. My mother also knew shorthand and was a clerk typist.
Thanks. She was ready to go at 98 and was ready for a number of years. She grew up in St. Louis, MO and lived in the same house in Michigan from 1956 - 2017. My, that was something to deal with when she moved to a senior apartment. My dad kept everything! She did too.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks. She was ready to go at 98 and was ready for a number of years. She grew up in St. Louis, MO and lived in the same house in Michigan from 1956 - 2017. My, that was something to deal with when she moved to a senior apartment. My dad kept everything! She did too

My mother got rid of all our favorite toys and books every time we moved. :( But I'm trying to part with the thousands of belongings I have; no one is interested in my 1950s doll collections and books.

Upvote 0