Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is why there is a post-metaphysical turn in philosophy to existentialism and Social Trinitarianism; the "glory" in Ezekiel 1 and the transfiguration for example, were really experienced by Ezekiel and the apostles involved, so they experienced the "uncreated light" not just in the mind but in reality; Now, the doctrine of "inseparable operations" get's tangled in there and this is why Lutherans are more able to see OT christophanies of the pre-incarnate Christ while Calvin never saw Jesus in the OT; (John 12:41) has to be read back into the OT as the interpretive method. The issue becomes sola scriptura : Was John not being truthful saying Isaiah and by extension pre-incarnate Jesus was being seen by Isaiah? Calvinism/Catholicism would say no, this was just an ecstatic experience in the mind only because God cannot be seen in any way. So the essence-energies distinction is the only explanation or you deny sola scriptura and fall into rationalism trying to understand christophanies and the transfiguration.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
OT christophanies of the pre-incarnate Christ while Calvin never saw Jesus in the OT; (John 12:41) has to be read back into the OT as the interpretive method.
I just learned a new term to describe this technique in the last week: prosopological exegesis.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,508.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Had to look it up.

"Prosopological exegesis is a person-centered reading strategy that helps us see the person-centered subject matter and the person-centered end of Scripture. It teaches us that the purpose of revelation, and of revelation's inscripturation, is to unveil God's intratrinitarian life of communication and communion and to welcome us into that life's embrace--at great cost to the triune God himself (Matt 11.25-27; 1 John 1.3-4). Holy Scripture is the product of the Holy Spirit, who enabled prophets and apostles to overhear the lovely words of the Father to the Son and of the Son to the Father, and who enables us to hear the testimony of the prophets and apostles in order that, through their testimony, we too may have fellowship with the Father through the Son in the Spirit." The trinitarian depth of Scripture

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just learned a new term to describe this technique in the last week: prosopological exegesis.
Okay well this is a typical reply--- I'm reading the Hummel cph commentary on Ezekiel, and without quoting verbatim, that's what he says, he also puts in Chemnitz the two natures in anticipation of this "prosopon" accusation ;I can't quote the full 600 page book though it is couched with Trinitarianism in mind, however, the Reformed will use this as an excuse like I said to not see Christ in OT, and that's part of Hummel's point in the commentary-- now if you want to actually critique the way Hummel put it in the commentary, I'd love to read it lol. those articles are very useful though, I am learning more every day, and haven't encountered that before. I can't help but wonder if rejecting PE also results in seeing Christ nowhere in the OT except Isaiah 53 because all of the other prophecies can be explained away grammatically/syntactically in Judaism, which is why William Lane Craig relies so heavily on just Isaiah 53.
also
"Prosopological Exegesis capitalizes on ambiguity in certain biblical texts and seeks to put a “face” (Greek; prosopon—thus the terminology) or “person” to these alleged ambiguous speakers behind the writings of the inspired authors. Should Christians use this method to understand the Bible?" doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about because Ezekiel 1 doesn't have someone speaking for Christ like Psalms 2 and other passages

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums