Prescott, Az
✟125,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 Samuel 5:8 Now David said on that day, “Whoever climbs up by way of the water shaft and defeats the Jebusites (the lame and the blind, who are hated by David’s soul), he shall be chief and captain.” Therefore they say, “The blind and the lame shall not come into the house.

Matthew 21:
Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.

13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

14 Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.

King David was the Lord's Anointed, and His every word was considered as an Angel from God.
2 Samuel 14:17; 2 Samuel 19:27
However, he often spoke rashly from his carnal mind when provoked to anger. He was so enraged by the rejection of Nabal from his goodwill that he swore that every man of his household would be dead by sunset. The foolish man's wife Abigail interceded to prevent a slaughter of innocent blood.
1 Samuel 25:
Then David said to Abigail: “Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me!

33 And blessed is your advice and blessed are you, because you have kept me this day from coming to bloodshed and from avenging myself with my own hand.

34 For indeed, as the Lord God of Israel lives, who has kept me back from hurting you, unless you had hurried and come to meet me, surely by morning light no males would have been left to Nabal!”

35 So David received from her hand what she had brought him, and said to her, “Go up in peace to your house. See, I have heeded your voice and respected your person.”

The Jebusites were so confident in the security of their stronghold that they taunted David, saying that only the blind and the lame would be needed to defeat him. He was so enraged by this that he declared his hatred for the blind and the lame! His general Joab then led men up the gutter of Zion to capture the stronghold and establish what would be called the City of David. At his word, the blind and the lame had been banned from the House of God, until Christ came overturning tables, and breaking curses spoken rashly.
David would go on to pray:

Psalm 19:
Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins;
let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright,
and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

14 Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart,
be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord,
my strength, and my redeemer.

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
2 Samuel 5:6 And David and his men departed to Jerusalem, to the Jebusite that inhabited the land. And it was said to David, Thou shalt not come in hither. For the blind and the lame withstood him, saying, David shall not come in hither.[7] And David took first the hold of Sion: this is the city of David.[8] And David said on that day, Every one that smites the Jebusite, let him attack with the dagger both the lame and the blind, and those that hate the soul of David. Therefore they say, The lame and the blind shall not enter into the house of the Lord.[9] And David dwelt in the hold, and it was called the city of David, and he built the city itself round about from the citadel, and he built his own house.[10] And David advanced and became great, and the Lord Almighty was with him.LXX

Makes sense, in context, in the Septuagint... but the saying itself seems to be superstition... or making mountains out of molehills. Weren't they, in fact, blind and lame Jebusites... the ones who withstood David?

Why is Sion called Mount Hermon... but also near Jerusalem?

Deuteronomy 4:48 From Aroer, which is upon the bank of [the] rushing stream Arnon, and upon the mountain of Sion, which is Hermon.
Psalms 133:3 As the dew of Hermon, that comes down on the mountains of Sion: for there, the Lord commanded the blessing, even life for ever.

The Jebusites are Hurrians which inhabited all of Palestine.

"Hurrian ewir-ne is clearly the origin of the Jebusite king of Jerusalem’s name ’wrnh. Clay tablets found in Taanach and Shechem in central Pal. contain Hurrian personal names. In the OT, several groups that appear to be Hurrian bear the names “Jebusite,” “Horite,” and even “Hivite.” It is possible that Hamor the Hivite, who is connected with the town of Shechem, was a Hurrian. Other Hivite centers were at Gibeon, of Jerusalem (Josh 3-7; 11:19), and in the Lebanon (Judg 3:3) and Hermon (Josh 11:3) mountains. It has been suggested that the Heb. form hwy arose from hry by accidental replacement of the r with w, since both letters resemble each other. In Genesis 36:2 and Joshua 9:7, the LXX preserves Χορραι̂οι, “Horites,” whereas the Heb. text has the altered form hwy. See Hivites."
Hurrians

Upvote 0