Status
Not open for further replies.

Extrinsic

Apr 29, 2012
✟7,614.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
I'm having issues understanding the theist agenda. Is the goal to topple science and lead mankind into a new stone age? I read one post where development of philosophical and scientific thought was described as "dark and taxing." Are science and technology considered evil in the mind of the believer? Can a thing be inherently evil or does is it take a malevolent will to make it so? Do theists resent that technology saves the lives of countless people? It doesn't make sense...this is a forum on the internet - computers and all related technology were made possible thanks to people who would have been put to death under theocratic rule and I wonder how it is that theists can justify using the tools created by people they consider evil? When your children are gravely ill and receive medicine that saves their life you may give praise to God (when thanks should go to the science that made it possible), but it seems like, based on the theist attitude toward science, that God would rather your children die, and you would too. Is any evil justified if a person believes they serve god(s)? That seems logically contradictory. Is peaceful coexistence with atheists and agnostics not preferred over conflict?
I am an Atheist, but it would be a mistake to assume I am immoral, my sense of right and wrong is very well developed and for me the ends cannot justify the means, evil means create evil ends in my thinking. I was fortunate, I was not mentally conditioned to believe, for many of you there was never any choice in whether you believed in god, you were in service to someone else's beliefs before you knew any better, and it's too bad. If there is a god and you weren't lucky enough to be born to the "right" faith...well i don't know, too bad I guess. I am not trying to be combative these forums likely get enough people trolling that another is unnecessary, I am genuinely confused by all of this. It seems as if god is insane if he hates logic soo much he creates hell to punish people who exercise it.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm having issues understanding the theist agenda.
You've come to the right place, then.
Is the goal to topple science and lead mankind into a new stone age?
No.
I read one post where development of philosophical and scientific thought was described as "dark and taxing."
Did you ask the poster for an explanation?
Are science and technology considered evil in the mind of the believer?
It can be, if not used properly.
Can a thing be inherently evil or does is it take a malevolent will to make it so?
According to the Bible, and by extrapolation, the weather can be 'evil.'

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Do theists resent that technology saves the lives of countless people?
No
It doesn't make sense...this is a forum on the internet - computers and all related technology were made possible thanks to people who would have been put to death under theocratic rule and I wonder how it is that theists can justify using the tools created by people they consider evil?
Um ... even I could be 'put to death under theocratic rule,' so what makes anyone else any different?
When your children are gravely ill and receive medicine that saves their life you may give praise to God (when thanks should go to the science that made it possible),
And where did that science come from? a gifted pianist? a gifted artist? or a gifted researcher? and who provided the gift?
but it seems like, based on the theist attitude toward science, that God would rather your children die, and you would too.
The god you are describing might; the God of the Bible wouldn't.
Is any evil justified if a person believes they serve god(s)?
Yes --

Psalm 83:15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.

If you disagree, you might want to try and understand what Biblical evil can entail.
That seems logically contradictory.

If logical doesn't work, try theological.
Is peaceful coexistence with atheists and agnostics not preferred over conflict?
Depends on who you ask.

The Antichrist is going to usher in three and a half years of false peace.
I am an Atheist, but it would be a mistake to assume I am immoral,
Why? what if 'moral' is defined as one's relationship to God; and 'ethical' is defined as one's relationship to his fellow man?
my sense of right and wrong is very well developed
I doubt that would pass an issues test, no offense.
and for me the ends cannot justify the means, evil means create evil ends in my thinking.
Depends on your definition of 'evil.'
I was fortunate, I was not mentally conditioned to believe,
That's debatable.
for many of you there was never any choice in whether you believed in god,
You're a Calvinist, are you?
you were in service to someone else's beliefs before you knew any better, and it's too bad.
Hmmm -- and you serve only your own beliefs, do you?
If there is a god and you weren't lucky enough to be born to the "right" faith...well i don't know, too bad I guess.
There are remedies for that; but for the record, there is no such thing as, 'born to the right faith.'

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Why do you think Jesus uses the term, 'born again?'
I am not trying to be combative these forums likely get enough people trolling that another is unnecessary, I am genuinely confused by all of this.
Then you've come to the right place.
It seems as if god is insane if he hates logic soo much he creates hell to punish people who exercise it.
Well, we're glad He is not; aren't you?

No one is going to Hell that doesn't deserve to go; is that moral enough for your 'well developed sense of right and wrong'?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.