• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The Word "Accept"

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change..." ~ Serenity Prayer

How do you balance "accepting" the reality that your family member has mental illness, with not tolerating some of his/ her words and actions that are not "acceptable"?

Edits after reading the SOP:

I would like some support/ input on this as this can be a delicate balance to maintain.

Last edited:

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change..." ~ Serenity Prayer

How do you balance "accepting" the reality that your family member has mental illness, with not tolerating some of his/ her words and actions that are not "acceptable"?

Edits after reading the SOP:

I would like some support/ input on this as this can be a delicate balance to maintain.

Have you heard what the psalmist pray:

Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me!
My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times.
YOU REBUKE THE INSOLENT, accursed ones, WHO WANDER FROM YOUR COMMANDMENTS.
TAKE AWAY FROM ME SCORN AND CONTEMPT, FOR I HAVE KEPT YOUR TESTIMONIES.
Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes. Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.
Amen

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing to remember it's not them, it's the illness causing the issue.

A lot of us haven't learned to handle broken brains, so we're all still learning how to handle it.
If someone has a broken leg, we don't complain that they can't keep up with us when walking or running.
If they've got a broken arm, we don't fuss when they can't carry the same loads that they did before they broke their arm.

But we don't see a broken brain so we tend to think of them as doing or not doing something vs the broken brain being the issue. Depending on what they've got, it can cause different processing of emotions, reactions, words or more. Me for example the Wife had Dementia / Alzheimer's, still early stages (around stage 4) looking at them when they're doing good, you wouldn't really know anything is wrong. But later they would start asking where everyone went, even though no one was there, or get mad when you won't take them home while they're sitting at home. It can get frustrating but it's not them it's the disease that's causing them to not process the world the same way we do.

Upvote 0