The traditional protestant view that the catholic organization is the woman of Rev 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisCritical

May 31, 2014
✟15,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to have a debate with a catholic regarding this question. It was generally taught in America and in the beginning of the Protestant Reformation it was naturally accepted among Protestants who left the catholics, many of whom like the Waldenses were murdered mercilessly by them- that this was very fact. Over time, likely due to the catholic counter-reformation and catholic infiltration of Western Protestant and Anglican societies, this interpretation of the scripture has been largely toned down to being only a theory that can't be proven.

I propose that this change of teaching is an unfortunate demise in Christian critical thought and departs from what would otherwise be a quite natural interpretation of the scriptures if an informed understanding of Church history were had by such a Bible reader. Also modern events even support this old interpretation as well.

My stance in this debate would be that the interpretation of Rev 17 by the ante-nicene exegetes lends support to the belief that the catholic organization is the harlot of Rev. 17.

I could attempt to support the stance that the Roman catholic church is the harlot of Rev. 17 through other supporting arguments, but in order to limit this debate and not allow it to be too wild I would like to systematically cover this topic one debate at a time. Whoever wishes to debate should be willing and able to stay on topic. The point is to debate whether or not the ancient exegetes and their interpretation of the passage in scripture pertaining to the woman on the beast would support the interpretation of the early Protestant Churches generally, that the woman on the beast is the catholic institution with allegedly on or about 1 billion adherents.

Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I am willing to do this debate though I am hesitant to accept because I am not sure how you think you're even going to find references by the ante-nicene fathers to the Catholic Church in the 21st century.

I'm also unsure why you want to limit the debate to just the ante-nicene interpretations, but okay I guess

Upvote 0

KrisCritical

May 31, 2014
✟15,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for accepting. I look forward to our debate. My desire is to limit the scope of this debate to a singular portion of this debate to ensure that we cover one aspect of it at a time. I intend to propose other debates as well which will cover other aspects of the same debate. The main point through all of them that I will endeavor to bring to light is that there is overwhelming evidence pointing to the verity of the teaching that the roman catholic institution is the woman riding the beast with 7 heads and 10 horns and 7 crowns on his 7 heads in Rev. 17. If I limit this discussion to one aspect of it then neither you or I will be aloud to change the subject and avoid the singular point that I want to demonstrate here and now, i.e. that first of all, the ante-nicene fathers and their exegesis of the scriptures pertaining to her support the belief that present-day roman catholicism is the woman on the beast. She may be found in other religions as well, but the roman catholic institution and the so-called 'jesuit order' is most likely the current authoritative entity that she represents in the book of Revelation ch. 17. If you want some time to do some research into the specific topic due to it's specific nature, I understand. Please let me know if you are prepared now or would like more time for research.

-May the best man win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Guys, I'm glad to set these up; but I will only run one at a time. Which one do you want to start with?

I would prefer the other one first because I'm still not totally sure on this one. If my opponent agrees, then let's go ahead with that one.

I'm not sure why one would want to limit the use of evidence.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,174.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would prefer the other one first because I'm still not totally sure on this one. If my opponent agrees, then let's go ahead with that one.

I'm not sure why one would want to limit the use of evidence.

I will be happy to debate the other one.

Ok, the other one it is. I will be able to set this up either tonight or tomorrow... gotta go to work.

We will keep this thread open for future consideration.:)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟843,174.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat...

This thread has undergone as small cleanup. If your post is missing, it is because it was off topic to this forum; pleas note at the top of the page:
Formal Debate Proposals A forum where topics for Formal Debate may be proposed.

If this debate proceeds, there will be a peanut gallery thread created so non participants may discuss the topic as well.

Mark
Staff Supervisor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgardner2358

AChristian1985
Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
✟7,765.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Two Babylons. The Lord in John 17 prayed not that the believers would be taken out of the world but that they would be delivered from the evil one. In Revelation 17 is a great harlot, both a religious and a material system, in contrast to the bride of Christ (never says her size) who is pure and spotless (not full abominations and fornications). The harlot also sits on a city of 7 hills, and the Lord tells His people to come out of her. Hmmm. Now if you sympathize with alcoholic, homosexual pedophiles there is a global organization that supports, promotes, and protects them. Guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgardner2358

AChristian1985
Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
✟7,765.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the book The Two Babylons. "Because of your traditions you have made void the word of God" "An elder should be the husband of one wife" <NOT celibate> "Call no man on earth your father" "There is <only> one mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ"
The mother of the harlots sits on the city of 7 hills: Rome. Her harlot daughters inherited all they have from their mother: divisive teachings dividing themselves from other believers; and the clergy-laity system. What other mixed system has a number of genuine believers in it?

Upvote 0

pgardner2358

AChristian1985
Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
✟7,765.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a proposal forum, not a debate forum; please stay on track.:)

My apologies to the unapologetic apologist. My heart burns for my brothers and sisters who remain in her. Y'all please continue this thread so that what truth in this area (in addition to the newspapers and courts) can be revealed spiritually.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.