The Talpiot Tomb of Jesus, and why I do not believe in it.

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,224.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
An investigative journalist was said to have found the tomb of Mary and Joseph and their son Jesus and his wife Mary. He is Jewish and advocates it is Jesus tomb and that Jesus must have survived the cross and gotten married... I suggest a few reasons for which I doubt the inscriptions on the boxes are true.

One is because the people who inscribed them are unknown. But we are led to think they are the same people who killed and buried the prophets.

Another is because Roman crucifixion was not something a man could survive.

A third is because the early Christians were persecuted for following Jesus and saying he rose from the dead. They were even dispersed into Rome and Greece. Why endure such a thing?

The fourth is because if Jesus survived crucifixion, the early Christians would have known he was actually still alive. And so would the Jews, to make the point with the Christians.

A fifth reason is that the Jews did not create and retain a tradition that Jesus lived to be married, such as into his fifties. Another ten or fifteen years of Jesus in Israel and they would have known. The Pharisees were in power and were not crushed by Christian history falsifiers. It reminds me of The Da Vinci Code. Jesus' descendancy fiction.

Also because Jesus' mother was looked after by John the apostle, and she would have died in Greece. I think her body would have been incorruptible and taken away by the angels after. Why go to Greece and risk your life spreading the message of the resurrection to the Greeks?

7, The Romans were at about the Circa 1800 level in civilization, and would have known about Jesus if he lived beyond execution and until 60 AD...

I could suppose the DNA in the bones in those tombs were from a mum and dad, and their son and his brother and their wives... But not that they were Jesus' bones.

The investigative journalist was Simcha Jacobovici.
The University of the Holy Land :: Talpiot Tomb
Is THIS the actual tomb of Christ's FAMILY? - Middle East - International - News - Catholic OnlineTalpiot Tomb - Wikipedia

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
or you could follow what scientific research into these cases reveals as:- The Jesus Family Tomb: Fact or Fiction? - Y-Jesus.com
shows.
other sites Gary Habermas is worth looking into with his evidence that most historians accept about the facts behind the resurrection.

One point.
What biblical evidence do you have for the story that mary's body was taken by angels?
What historical evidence do you have?
What relevence does it have for Christianity?

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,224.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
or you could follow what scientific research into these cases reveals as:- The Jesus Family Tomb: Fact or Fiction? - Y-Jesus.com
shows.
other sites Gary Habermas is worth looking into with his evidence that most historians accept about the facts behind the resurrection.

One point.
What biblical evidence do you have for the story that mary's body was taken by angels?
What historical evidence do you have?
What relevance does it have for Christianity?
With regards to Mary's body, I think it was like Moses' body. Satan would have wanted it. There is no Bible verse about it. Except in Revelation about a woman with stars around her that Satan was most interested in. She escapes. There is no historical evidence regarding her body except that we don't know of any tomb of Mary.

I would suppose Mary in Heaven with her body would be relevant to suggest her appearances may be real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With regards to Mary's body, I think it was like Moses' body. Satan would have wanted it. There is no Bible verse about it. Except in Revelation about a woman with stars around her that Satan was most interested in. She escapes. There is no historical evidence regarding her body except that we don't know of any tomb of Mary.

I would suppose Mary in Heaven with her body would be relevant to suggest her appearances may be real.

If we have no biblical information and no archeological information, we don't know what happened to Mary's body.
The most likely event is that she died and was burried.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,224.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If we have no biblical information and no archeological information, we don't know what happened to Mary's body.
The most likely event is that she died and was burried.
Want a new thread on this digression?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No thank you. Mary is irrelevent to the practical living a Christian life.

She's relevant to us inasmuch as Jesus was a real human being and not God in a skin suit.

Upvote 0