Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suspect that at least some of you in this discussion can elaborate how "mind as computing system" can be "tuned" by purely naturalistic means other than those that would be defined as "programming".

I agree that the mind is not programmable -- it isn't a "computing system". There is no CPU in the brain executing instructions in some sort of program.

I'm not sure why you mean by the mind being "tuned". The brain can have evolved for certain tasks without any "programming" taking place. There could be a difference in structure or function in different areas of the brain. I'm not a brain scientist, so I wouldn't know the specifics, but that sounds reasonable.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟562,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've seen just as much evidence for the soul as I have for the existence of gods.

None.

That said, I would say the soul is the common name for the totality of a person's being. Everything that makes you who you are, from your physical body to your thoughts and beliefs and desires along with your name and anything else attributed to your existence can be given one name and I'm willing to call that the soul but that only exists as a concept, not an actual thing.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree that the mind is not programmable -- it isn't a "computing system". There is no CPU in the brain executing instructions in some sort of program.
I am aware there is no CPU in the brain. And while this may be simply be an issue of terminology, I believe that at least some experts see the brain/mind as a "computing system". At least based on what I have recently read.

I'm not sure why you mean by the mind being "tuned".
I use the word "tuning" to refer to the process by which our brains/minds improve, over both evolutionary and "within-lifespan" timescales, in terms of their capabilities of accurately modeling the world. In short, the problem is this: in the absence of a "designer", how do we account for the facts that the thoughts we think turn out to be sensible, given what is going on "out there". There has to be some mechanism that drives us to this fortunate state of affairs; otherwise (for those who deny a "god" or some other kind of magic"), the fact that my brain generates the thought "run" when a saber-tooth tiger is around seems miraculous.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've seen just as much evidence for the soul as I have for the existence of gods.

None.
The focus of this thread seems to be on how we can give an account for "rational thought" in the absence of some supernatural force; for some posters, strict "nobody-here-but-us-atoms" physicalism/naturalism does not seem up to the task. I think posters on all sides agree that the development of our sophisticated reasoning capabilities seems miraculous (i.e. it seems that it could not happen by purely "natural" processes).

Hence, I think, the immaterial soul is inserted as the explanation.

However, as one poster has astutely observed: It seems impossible to imagine how the action of a whole bunch of simple transistors could be orchestrated together to beat the world's greatest chessmaster. Lesson: Beware the argument from incredulity.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
In short, the problem is this: in the absence of a "designer", how do we account for the facts that the thoughts we think turn out to be sensible, given what is going on "out there".

Evolution. Why is this not a sufficient answer?

I don't see how this answer is "miraculous" at all. It may not be understood fully, but doesn't seem to require any supernatural intervention. This objection strikes me as manufactured and unnecessary.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
I was just reading from what I am confident is a credible source: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Apparently one of the biggest "over-steps" in thinking of the mind as a computing system (I intentionally avoid the phrase "computer" for a reason that will become clear in about a second) is the assumption that if the mind is a computing system it must be programmable like a computer is programmable. Apparently this is not the case and least some experts conceive of the mind as a computing system that is not "programmable". I suspect that at least some of you in this discussion can elaborate how "mind as computing system" can be "tuned" by purely naturalistic means other than those that would be defined as "programming". If any of you think you can do this, please take a shot (or point me to a post where you believe you have addressed this question). I also do not have a nuanced understanding of the concept of "programming" - what this notion really cashes out to. Again, if anyone has thoughts.....

For myself: While I cannot immediately intuit how a computing system's behaviour can be tuned - solely by natural processes - without being "programmed", I suspect that it can. In this respect, I suspect many of us are, as the article implies, default to the programmable computer as our model for the mind and, in so doing, go one step "too far" in assuming that the mind must be programmable.
I think the idea of the brain as a computing system is valid enough, but it's the popular conception of computing that is too narrow. When people talk of computers, they usually mean electronic digital processors (e.g. microprocessors). These are one type of programmable computer, but there are computers that are not explicitly programmable - such as neural networks, and the brain is a computational structure made of a large number of interconnected neural networks. These are learning systems, they can be trained by example and effectively learn from experience. However, digital processors can emulate neural networks if they're programmed to act like them.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
That said, I would say the soul is the common name for the totality of a person's being. Everything that makes you who you are, from your physical body to your thoughts and beliefs and desires along with your name and anything else attributed to your existence can be given one name and I'm willing to call that the soul but that only exists as a concept, not an actual thing.
What's wrong with 'person' rather than 'soul'? Soul is usually an attribute or property of, or associated with, a person.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist

I don't see how this answer is "miraculous" at all. It may not be understood fully, but doesn't seem to require any supernatural intervention. This objection strikes me as manufactured and unnecessary.
Yes - in fact, one only has to look at the behaviours of the range of other creatures with neural systems that we share the planet with, from other primates to simpler, less cognitively capable creatures, to see that the autonomous functions of the brain that help the simple creatures survive, are progressively supplemented, in creatures of increasing cognitive complexity, with features that improve survival capability by adding greater behavioural flexibility and allowing social communication and cooperation, culminating in the predictive modeling and planning of the higher primates and humans.

Cognitive changes that reduce the capacity to respond appropriately to the real world are less likely to survive; but that doesn't mean cognition has to become more complex - in some environments the costs of sophisticated cognitive processing outweigh the benefits, and simpler solutions will be more effective.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree, and explained my position that evolution can indeed be the explanation. Of course, I suspect that the experts will say that while it seems plausible that evolution can do the job, this has not been established (yet) beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't see how this answer is "miraculous" at all.
Perhaps I was not clear: my point was that, in a purely naturalistic framework, it seems (repeat seems) miraculous that we can get from the jumble of particles that sprang into existence as a result of the big bang to structures (brains) that can accurately model the external world.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
...my point was that, in a purely naturalistic framework, it seems (repeat seems) miraculous that we can get from the jumble of particles that sprang into existence as a result of the big bang to structures (brains) that can accurately model the external world.
To some people; not to everyone. In general, the more that people discover about it, the less miraculous it seems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's wrong with 'person' rather than 'soul'? Soul is usually an attribute or property of, or associated with, a person.
The word "soul", at least as used in our western culture has a range of meanings. Sometimes it has been used to denote the entire person, other times as a way of emphasizing particular characteristics of the human person. I think the biggest trap that people fall into is to assume that the word "soul" denotes an immaterial consciousness-bearing "thing" that inhabits an otherwise material body; in making this assumption, such people are, unwittingly no doubt, following a specifically Platonic line of thinking which has become part of the default thinking in our 21st century western culture. However, I believe the historians of culture / language will tell us that this particular concept of a "soul" was not present in the cultural setting from which the scriptures spring. But that's another story.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To some people; not to everyone. In general, the more that people discover about it, the less miraculous it seems.
While I completely accept standard evolutionary theory based on the credibility of the scientific establishment, it still seems, at a gut level, hard to believe that it has produced such complex creatures as us in "only" a few billion years. And I would think the overwhelming majority of people have the same intuition.

On this subject: while it is no doubt true that the overwhelming majority (> 99.999999% - I picked a fanciful number) of creationists accept the creation account for "religious" reasons (as opposed to "scientific" reasons), I propose that it also true that >> 90% of people who accept evolution do solely on the credibility of the scientific establishment - I am confident that only a small fraction of people understand enough about the mechanics of evolution and the associated evidence to assess the theory independently. That's OK of course.

Same with climate change - the problem is that we have people on this forum who appear to believe that they "know better than the experts" and spout all manner of wildly implausible objections to things like evolution and climate change. Of course, it is possible that the scientific consensus is wrong on these things. But if that is so, surely it will be an expert who discovers the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
While I completely accept standard evolutionary theory based on the evidence, it still seems, at a gut level, hard to believe that it has produced such complex creatures as us in "only" a few billion years. And I would think the overwhelming majority of people have the same intuition.
Perhaps those people don't grasp the significance of a 'few billion years'. It's not called 'deep time' for nothing.

But yes, the gut feel of a creature that lives for around 70 years is not well suited to deal with that kind of scale. Similarly for the size scale of the visible universe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟254,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps those people don't grasp the significance of a 'few billion years'. It's not called 'deep time' for nothing.
But my point is that few - if any - of us have a "gut-level" sense of what a billion years mean. Obviously, I get the concept of a billion as a number; however I cannot connect this number to anything "experience-able". And I suspect the same is true for you.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
But my point is that few - if any - of us have a "gut-level" sense of what a billion years mean. Obviously, I get the concept of a billion as a number; however I cannot connect this number to anything "experience-able". And I suspect the same is true for you.
Yes, but I do have some idea of what has happened during that time, and of the timescales of evolution, which gives some perspective.

Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ElxDalto

Aug 4, 2016
Texas
✟8,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It sounds like there is no way to know if souls exist, and no evidence suggesting that they exist.

If you think that the age of the earth is at all related to carbon dating, you are completely ignorant of the ways we know how old the earth is. You didn't answer my question - why do you think that you weren't created last Thursday?

You hold a position while having no knowledge of the relevant evidence, or even understanding the different types of evidence that could answer that question? Imagine if I used that same approach anywhere else. "I firmly believe that synaptic signal transmission in humans is completely due to the action of dolomite fibrils! That's my answer even though I have no idea what has been found regarding nerve function."

Crazy, isn't it? Of course it is. Why do you consider that a reasonable approach for the age of the earth?

In Christ-

Papias

I guess since I'm ignorant in this subject, enlighten me on what you think I'm missing.

Upvote 0

ElxDalto

Aug 4, 2016
Texas
✟8,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not agreeing =/= not grasping.

Such as arguments from ignorance?

I agree. I stand for many things.

However, I will not stand for just anything, such as claims that have poor evidence or even contrary evidence, or indeed I would fall for anything.

eudaimonia,

Mark

I guess so

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm still not sure how the idea that reason can't come from unreason has anything to do with the impossibility of natural processes producing thought.

Sounds like a really fuzzy and pointless objection to whatever it was supposed to be objecting to.

I'd be more convinced if you did more than assert you were right here.

I'd be more convinced if you did more than assert you were right here.

We can't prove anything unequivocally in any case. At least people who think that brains are natural don't have to worry about magical all-powerful beings changing the rules on a whim.

Yeah. You might have more luck if you actually tried to do something other than just asserting that I'm wrong.
I am sorry, but I can't see how you came to your conclusions, so I cannot explain any further. If I say my car is a honda and then you say therefore it must be a blue car of year 2010, I cannot but say it isn't true. Please explain to me how you came to your conclusions from what I said and then we can discuss it.

Conclusive evidence? Seems like weasel words to me. Has there every been a case of thought without an associated physical brain? Don't physical changes in that brain lead to changes in the ability to and quality of thought? Is there anything non-physical which has ever been observed to cause thought?

Sure, you can play hyper-skeptic all you want. But at some point you end up like a person claiming that digestion is just correlated with the digestive tract rather than being a product of it.
Really? Ok. If a train always runs on tracks, does that mean the tracks are responsible for its locomotion?

Besides, there are many studies showing thought with less associated brain activity than expected, mostly done under meditation. The fMRIs are often much less active while the subjective activity state of the practitioner is reported as being increased.
There are also dodgier things like astral projection etc. that I am not even going to talk about. If thought was not fully dependant on physiology than such things by nature would not have associated or less than expected evidence when investigated by empiric means. You merely discount it as not having evidence when the very premise would entail there NOT being any.

This is classical begging the question, but that is what happens when Naturalistic Materialism is employed.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That seems somewhat tautological - reasoning is how rational arguments are made.

It seems to me that reasoning is effectively making conclusions from a valid argument; regardless of the truth of the premises, if the conclusion is reached through valid argument, it has been reasoned. If the premises are true, the argument will be sound and the reasoned conclusion will be true. If one or more premises are false, the argument will not be sound and the reasoned conclusion will be false although correctly reasoned. In other words, in both cases, reason is used to argue correctly given the premises, but the conclusion will only certainly be true if the premises are true.

No, it's quite logical to be scared of a tiger if you think it's inhabited by alien souls and you're afraid of alien souls; it's the premises that are false. It's also quite rational to scared, given that premise (i.e. that belief). It's the belief that's irrational, not the reasoning based on it.

It's not the truth or falsity of the premises that make an argument logical (valid). When true, they make a valid argument sound
You seem to be conflating Reason and Rationality. They are not the same.

Reason is the ability of consciously making sense of the world from logic, verification of fact, justifying belief and practice via existing information.
Rationality is the quality or state of holding beliefs that conform to reason.
So tell me, how do you ascertain if a premise is true? By reason is it not? So the only way to see if something is true, ie reasonable, is to examine the premise down to the axiomatic.
While arguments can be made by rational means from irrational premises, the end result remains irrational - like a mathematic proof that starts out declaring 1=0 will always be irrational regardless how complex or rational the rest of its argument was.
If the axiomatic starting point is irrational, then the entire argument is irrational regardless of means employed. Chemical interactions or nerve depolarisation, which would be the first origin of why we would consider something axiomatic, cannot be anything but irrational as no reason can be employed here. Thus, as I said, if we accept this as the origin of thought, then the validity of any propositions can never be established as we simply cannot say the original axiomatic premise can be 'reasonable', ie based on logic and thought. The only reason why we would accept this naturalistic materialism however, rests on our trust of our Rationality which we have just completely eroded. It doesn't mean that we are necessarily wrong, it does however mean we can never trust anything at all as being correct.
You essentially just want to stop at the premise, but that is the whole point of the argument. We cannot hold any premises to be true at all if we accept naturalistic materialism.

Yes, I don't agree with your first (compound) premise. I agree that reasoning requires insight or understanding of the logical relations between the premises - that's how a valid argument is constructed; but I don't agree that neurons firing in the head cannot be the underlying cause of insight or understanding. It may turn on how one defines insight or understanding, and/or what kind of information processor can achieve them. But I also think there's an implicit appeal to incredulity in phrases like, "neurons firing in the head". But then, who would believe transistors switching in microchips could beat the world's best human competitors at the verbal quiz game 'Jeopardy'? Who would imagine that a simple static grid of cells that can be black or white ('on' or 'off') depending on the on/off states of neighboring cells (i.e. Conway's Game of Life cellular automaton) could emulate a computer (universal Turing machine), or make a self-replicating structure, or emulate itself? The interactions of simple parts can give rise to exceedingly complex behaviours.

'Neurons firing in the head' produce a range of informational structures, from content-addressable storage (memory) and associative mapping of that storage, to inductive and deductive logic processing, that can be used to facilitate understanding and insight. High-level systems such as those involving the self and language understanding, are composed of subsystems, and those of smaller subsystems, and so-on to the neuronal level. In the brain the hierarchy is not rigid - subsystems are shared and cross-connected, and there are competing 'opponent' systems down to the individual neurons.

First Premise: No belief is rationally inferred if it can be explained from non-rational causes.

My first premise is not compound. It is axiomatic. I cannot say something is logical or reasoned through if it is held without needing to apply any logic or reason.

You keep talking about complex interactions etc. as if this somehow changes anything to the argument. It makes no difference. That simple interactions can have complex results or a computer can win Jeopardy is completely irrelevant. If Reason occurs because of activities that are not themselves rationally derived, there is no reason to trust or consider the result rational.
So lets assume that our physiology is responsible for our thoughts - all that that means is that we therefore cannot trust that our thinking is rational, as the axiom need not be X but could have been Y. We only consider it X because of irrational nerve depolarisation, but for all intents and purposes it might just as well have been Y.

Last I heard, Wernicke's area is mainly involved in the phonetic and syntactic aspects of language, recognition and parsing; the full understanding of meaning is distributed across the cortex, as one might expect.

A lot of work has already been done - parts of some systems have been comprehensively explained (e.g. parts of the visual system), and others functionally mapped in considerable detail. Sure, there's a lot more to do than has yet been done, but with in excess of 80 billion components, it's a complex system.

I don't have links for them, although they're probably online - I learned of them from books (e.g. by V.S. Ramachandran) and conferences. One example of a very specific deficit was a man who had a stroke and ceased to be able to recognise items. He couldn't recognise himself or anyone he knew, and he couldn't recognise objects, although he knew what type of objects they were and could describe them in detail. For example, when shown a carrot, he knew it was a vegetable, and described it accurately, but he didn't know what vegetable it was; on the other hand he could also tell you all about carrots, their appearance, growth, use, etc. When asked to draw a selection of flowers, he made drawings labelled 'rose', 'tulip', 'daffodil', etc, but he drew imaginary flower shapes, nothing like the real thing, and yet he could accurately describe the features of the real flowers. Then there's Capgras' syndrome, where someone thinks their partner has been replaced by an identical imposter; believed to be due to damage to communication between the recognition & discrimination centre in the fusiform gyrus and the emotional limbic system (the amygdala). Another oddly specific one is 'Telephone syndrome', where individuals are in an apparently minimally conscious state, showing sleep/wake cycles and eye tracking, but unresponsive and uncommunicative - until they're given a phone call, when they suddenly become fully conscious, alert, and normally communicative, only to subside back to unresponsiveness afterwards, even to the same person that called them. Another is paralysis denial, where the individual is paralysed in some way, but denies it and attempts tasks requiring the paralysed limb, claiming success, or making unrelated excuses, when they fail dismally; there's a disconnect between their physical state and their brain's body map, making them unaware of the paralysis and unable to learn of it. Similarly, there's hemispherical neglect, where the left or right half of the person's perceptual experience is absent (i.e. half their perceptual world), although all the perceptual pathways are intact.
Yes? I agree the brain and neuronal pathways play a significant part in our reasoning. I just don't think it consists SOLELY thereof.
If anything, these examples show attempts at Reason which fail to deliver true results, but if a system was so significantly disrupted, one would wonder if Reason would have been possible at all if solely derived from it.
While not definitive evidence, these examples are actually essentially to what I was referring as they imply that Reason is attempted in spite of its supposed 'hardware' not functioning. They show that we actually don't know where our 'Reason' truly lies, if anything.
We cannot say that 'its complicated but obviously it must just be a function of the brain' as this is a complete shot in the dark not based on anything but the vaguest suppositions.

This is just an example to explain the principle, by no means even a good example: If we look at a city from the air and see cars heading to office blocks and back, we cannot merely conclude that they are self-functioning. If we see new buildings going up and others decaying, if we see highways disrupted by accidents or natural events, we will see failure and change in functions of the city, but this does not mean we can conclude the 'city' as a self-functioning entity. We will see the 'city' making rational choices, but it was not made by it, but by people within it we do not see. Essentially the 'city' consists of both the buildings and their inhabitants - to the brain therefore we are at the looking at the city stage, we are unaware of the 'people', the rationalising component and have so far failed to find them, only seeing disrupted pathways 'they' are attempting to overcome or normal ones. Perhaps this component does lie merely in the functioning, but we can by no means conclude this based on current knowledge, this is merely the assumption made by Naturalistic Materialists.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,238.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Conclusive evidence? Seems like weasel words to me. Has there every been a case of thought without an associated physical brain? Don't physical changes in that brain lead to changes in the ability to and quality of thought? Is there anything non-physical which has ever been observed to cause thought?

Sure, you can play hyper-skeptic all you want. But at some point you end up like a person claiming that digestion is just correlated with the digestive tract rather than being a product of it.

Hee hee, an atheist is perturbed because a theist asks for evidence. Classic. And is accused of being too skeptical. Skepticism is only a virtue when you guys do it? :)
This is classical begging the question, but that is what happens when Naturalistic Materialism is employed.
Yes, there's no other option but question-begging when materialism paints itself into that corner.

Upvote 0