The Sign of the Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonV

Hello friends,

I am currently reading a small text by Fr. Geoffrey Hodson of the Liberal Catholic Church entitled "The Priestly Ideal". In this text, he briefly touches on the sign of the cross, and I thought I'd share this excerpt with you.

Applied to one's person, the vertical stroke of this Sign implies the instant descent of spiritual power into and throughout the whole personality, whilst the horizontal arm symbolizes the more material parts of Soul and body into which spiritualizing and energizing power descends. A union of the human Soul with the Supreme Deity is also implied and, thus performed, the Sing of the Cross which should be clearly made, elevates the energizes mind and body, thereby aiding in the fulfillment of the priestly ideal. (pp. 6-7)

Fr. Hodson is careful to further explain that when making the Sign, one should not do it automatically. It should always be done with thoughtful awareness of it. It should not be done in a sloppy manner, but as straight and perfect as you can.

Speaking personally, I have adopted using the Eastern Orthodox hand gesture of the thumb, index and middle fingers together, the ring and pinky resting on my palm, but touching the left instead of the right should first when reciting "Holy Ghost". :crossrc:

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello friends,

I am currently reading a small text by Fr. Geoffrey Hodson of the Liberal Catholic Church entitled "The Priestly Ideal". In this text, he briefly touches on the sign of the cross, and I thought I'd share this excerpt with you.

Fr. Hodson is careful to further explain that when making the Sign, one should not do it automatically. It should always be done with thoughtful awareness of it. It should not be done in a sloppy manner, but as straight and perfect as you can.

Speaking personally, I have adopted using the Eastern Orthodox hand gesture of the thumb, index and middle fingers together, the ring and pinky resting on my palm, but touching the left instead of the right should first when reciting "Holy Ghost". :crossrc:

wonderful post!! I find myself doing it reflexively or the abbreviated one at supper...thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.