Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I like Charles Wesley's Easter and Christmas hymns, Christ the Lord is Risen Today and Hark the Herald Angels Sing. Both are jam-packed with scripture allusions and doctrine, but still celebrative and not pedantic. I know if the Resurrection or Nativity/Incarnation scriptures are read and we sing these hyms, I'll be blessed, and know I celebrated the Resurrection or the Incarnation, even if the sermon and everything else about the service is terrible.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
My favorite Messianic Hymn

Kadosh

Traditional

The Old Rugged Cross

Modern

Enter In

Heavy Metal

Best Kept Secret / Skillet

Hip Hop

Irene

Spanish

La Rocca Firma / Crystal Lewis

Reggae

Holy Ghost Medly / Grace Thrillers
Hail Him Up / Pappa San

All time Favorite

Jesus Loves Me This I Know

Song I have been playing most recently

Bind Us Together

Blessings

Pastor George :wave:

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
This question has recently been on my mind... There are too many that I love dearly, but here's a start:

Jesus Paid It All - All to Him owe. Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow. How can you beat that?

Nothing But the Blood - What can wash away my sin? NOTHING but the blood of Jesus! Brings my mind to Hebrews 9:22 "Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness." I also wrote a song from that verse [plug!].

Hallelujah, What a Savior - Such a powerful song.

Immanuel's Land - The Bride eyes not her garment, but her dear bridegroom's face... He is all the joy in Emmanuel's land!

It Is Well With My Soul - Apart from it being a powerfully comforting song, it has the great line: Sin, not in part, but the whole. Wow. Powerful stuff. I nicked the line for one of my songs and changed it to "Payment not in part, but the whole" which is the same thought.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

The Cross - [modern, Moody Church] Some of the best lyrics in years. Has the line "the cross behind me to defend" which always brings a tear to my eye... even now!

A Debtor to Mercy Alone - One of the best lines ever: The terrors of law and of God, With me can have nothing to do; My Saviour's obedience and blood hide all my transgressions from view! [and continues]

The work which His goodness began, the arm of His strength will complete;
His promise is Yea and Amen, and never was forfeited yet.
Things future, nor things that are now, nor all things below or above,
Can make Him His purpose forgo, or sever my soul from His love.

My name from the palms of His hands eternity will not erase;
Impressed on His heart it remains, in marks of indelible grace.
Yes, I to the end shall endure, as sure as the earnest is giv'n;
More happy, but not more secure, the glorified spirits in heav'n.

Rock of Ages -
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked come to Thee for dress,
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul I to the fountain fly,
Wash me Savior or I die.

Thou must save and thou alone!

A Mighty Fortress - Let good and kindred go, This mortal life also; The body they may kill: God's truth abideth still; His Kingdom is forever.

O Come O Come Emmanuel - Sort of Second Coming illusions in this seasonal song. Being a dispensationalist (and former Replacement Religionist) I weep when I think of the Messiah being the Light unto the Gentiles. When I think of "ransom[ing] captive Israel" my mind heads to Psalm 136(?) and the weeping of Israel to return to her land. My second daughter is named Moriah Joy and helps to remind me of the return of the King to the land!

Mary & the Thief; Son of God 'twas Love That Made Thee - [contemporary, Redeemed (Glasheen)] - The first is one of the best pictures of the necessity of salvation for all. At the cross, both the thief on the cross and Mary were looking at their Savior! The second is a great contemporary version of the classic.

...and yes, I know Toplady and Luther were not dispensationalists :) They still wrote some great stuff! :)

This is the problem with most CCM... there is very little Christ-honoring doctrine in it. There are a lot of songs about worship and about praise, but very few about why we worship and why we praise (which is really the essence of Praise, isn't it?).

:(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.