The National Health Service

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, the hilarious yet wise nutcase who is best known as Ukok has suggested this thread... ahem...

In Britain, healthcare is free at the point of contact:

You attend
You are treated
You go home ... no payment or insurance necessary.

It is funded by the income tax which is deducted monthly from the wages of the employed population. In theory, it should work well.

In practice, it is grossly under-funded.
Hence waiting lists to see a GP can be a fortnight; for a non-urgent operation can be over a year.
Doctors and nurses are overworked as they cannot cope with the workload, yet the government will not employ more staff. It is 10 pounds (about US$16) per day to park a car at a hospital.

Okay then... let us know your stories; tell us about health provision in your home country / state.

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,785,443.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back a few years ago Hillary Clinton got on the bandwagon with her hubby and did a bus tour around the States promoting National Health Care in the US. We are SO glad that fell by the wayside!

Our various insurrance policies are sometimes a pain to work with but I shudder to think what might happen if the politicians got their hands involved in our health.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
lucypevensie said:
Back a few years ago Hillary Clinton got on the bandwagon with her hubby and did a bus tour around the States promoting National Health Care in the US. We are SO glad that fell by the wayside!

Our various insurrance policies are sometimes a pain to work with but I shudder to think what might happen if the politicians got their hands involved in our health.

It does at least guarantee health care whether you can afford an insurance policy or not. This is why the British are so attached to their NHS - whatever its shortcomings, you will not be turned away for necessary treatment on financial grounds.

Does the "We" who are "SO glad" include the fairly high proportion of US citizens who do not have health insurance?

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,785,443.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is turned away here either. That's a common misconception. Several years ago I declined the insurrance coverage provided by my employer (very stupid of me, I thought I was invincible). Then all of a sudden I got sick and had to get some treatment at the hospital and clinic. Nobody ever refused to treat me though I did not have insurrance. True, I did have to PAY for it and it was quite expensive but I figued I was worth the money I was shelling out.

I'm not trying to say that our system here is wonderful, because it's not. I think things definitely need to be fixed. but I do not believe that the government is the answer--they've messed up enough things.

Upvote 0

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
lucypevensie said:
Nobody is turned away here either. That's a common misconception. Several years ago I declined the insurrance coverage provided by my employer (very stupid of me, I thought I was invincible). Then all of a sudden I got sick and had to get some treatment at the hospital and clinic. Nobody ever refused to treat me though I did not have insurrance. True, I did have to PAY for it and it was quite expensive but I figued I was worth the money I was shelling out.

I'm not trying to say that our system here is wonderful, because it's not. I think things definitely need to be fixed. but I do not believe that the government is the answer--they've messed up enough things.

You are correct - no-one is turned away in the US. But there is the very real danger of avoiding seeking medical attention for fear of the bills. What does happen if someone with no means or prospects of any means for payment needs treatment they cannot ever afford?

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we get really good value for money from the NHS. The staff are dedicated and do the best they can. Just imagine if it went like dentistry mostly private and paid for!

The thought of paying out for private insurance on my modest slary is frightening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucypevensie

Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,785,443.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Karl - Liberal Backslider said:
You are correct - no-one is turned away in the US. But there is the very real danger of avoiding seeking medical attention for fear of the bills. What does happen if someone with no means or prospects of any means for payment needs treatment they cannot ever afford?

yes, that is a valid point too:). The costs of medical care are incredibly high--way too high. Yes, those costs do keep people from getting to a doctor. People who have a full-time job are usually offered health insurance, and yep, insurrance gets spendy too.

There is also Medicaid which is a gov program (like welfare) to help those who are unable to pay, who can't or won't work.

Also, hospitals and clinics are usually agreeable to the patient making payments over time. It took me a whole year to pay the bill for just one day in an emergency room:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Don't get the idea that I'm totally against the US health care arrangements; but I'm explaining why the British are very attached to their NHS.

We're actually very bothered (I and Mrs Backslider both work for the NHS) by the politicians' involvment in it. We'd rather they just raised the money (one thing they are good at - they take enough off me each month ;) ) and let us work out how best to spend it. Deciding how to raise the money is a political issue and thus a politicians job. Deciding how to use it to best effect is essentially clinical.

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good point Karl.
The same can be said for most public services.

Unfortunately politicians have to decide what the priorities for a limited budget are. The scope of the service i.e. whether or not we treat imigrants, remove tattoos, pay for sex change operations, buy the latest high tech but unproven drugs all have an element of political judgement to them too. We also have to decied between education, defence, infrastructure, welfare, social services, the environment and nice things like sport and the arts which bring less direct public good. You make your choice, cast your vote, pay your tax and take your chances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayebrownlee

Senior Veteran
Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have good and bad things to say about the NHS, sometimes they (the doctors and nurses) can be too restricted, I have been turned away from psyciatric in-patient treatment on several occaisions because of bed shortages but on the other hand they always see me when I REALLY need it even if it ids just for a couple of hours.

Jay

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Karl - Liberal Backslider said:
Don't get the idea that I'm totally against the US health care arrangements; but I'm explaining why the British are very attached to their NHS.

We're actually very bothered (I and Mrs Backslider both work for the NHS) by the politicians' involvment in it. We'd rather they just raised the money (one thing they are good at - they take enough off me each month ;) ) and let us work out how best to spend it. Deciding how to raise the money is a political issue and thus a politicians job. Deciding how to use it to best effect is essentially clinical.

I think that this is part of the point of foundation hospitols - giving the medical staff and local community more say whilst keeping government funding. Certainly sounds like a good idea in principle.

Upvote 0