London
✟12,996.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Time for some historic martyrs- I was reading John Calvin's letters last night and came across them- if Calvin had never wrote his letters to them perhaps we'd never know about them.

The 5 young men had just finished studying in Geneva- and were still willing to return to France which had a king very hostile to Protestants.

They were no doubt warned and spent the last few days in Geneva- possibly with Calvin.

Just as he touchingly signed his letters I'm sure he said to them on leaving "Adieu Adieu my brothers"

When the martyrs went to France they were transferred from dungeon to dungeon for 12 months (no doubt having their blessed memories of Geneva keeping them company) before having their execution ordered.

No doubt when John Calvin entered heaven himself he saw the martyrs and got to say "Bonjour Bonjour my brothers"

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Time for some historic martyrs- I was reading John Calvin's letters last night and came across them- if Calvin had never wrote his letters to them perhaps we'd never know about them.

The 5 young men had just finished studying in Geneva- and were still willing to return to France which had a king very hostile to Protestants.

They were no doubt warned and spent the last few days in Geneva- possibly with Calvin.

Just as he touchingly signed his letters I'm sure he said to them on leaving "Adieu Adieu my brothers"

When the martyrs went to France they were transferred from dungeon to dungeon for 12 months (no doubt having their blessed memories of Geneva keeping them company) before having their execution ordered.

No doubt when John Calvin entered heaven himself he saw the martyrs and got to say "Bonjour Bonjour my brothers"
This website may look old, but it has info about the Lyons Martyrs. The killings began in 177 AD: The Martyrs of Lyons

Reactions: Tom8907
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟828,801.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This website may look old, but it has info about the Lyons Martyrs. The killings began in 177 AD: The Martyrs of Lyons

The difference is that this massacre in 177, recorded by Eusebius, in his history of the church in the 4th century, marked a step on the way toward the conversion of the Franks. By Calvin's time, France was moving in another direction, to the massacre of the Huguenots and the eventual atheism of the French Revolution.

Upvote 0