The Lab-Leak Theory: Inside the Fight to Uncover COVID-19’s Origins

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,849.00
Faith
Atheist
On February 19, 2020, The Lancet, among the most respected and influential medical journals in the world, published a statement that roundly rejected the lab-leak hypothesis, effectively casting it as a xenophobic cousin to climate change denialism and anti-vaxxism. Signed by 27 scientists, the statement expressed “solidarity with all scientists and health professionals in China” and asserted: “We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin.”

The Lancet statement effectively ended the debate over COVID-19’s origins before it began. To Gilles Demaneuf, following along from the sidelines, it was as if it had been “nailed to the church doors,” establishing the natural origin theory as orthodoxy. “Everyone had to follow it. Everyone was intimidated. That set the tone.”
A months long Vanity Fair investigation, interviews with more than 40 people, and a review of hundreds of pages of U.S. government documents, including internal memos, meeting minutes, and email correspondence, found that conflicts of interest, stemming in part from large government grants supporting controversial virology research, hampered the U.S. investigation into COVID-19’s origin at every step. In one State Department meeting, officials seeking to demand transparency from the Chinese government say they were explicitly told by colleagues not to explore the Wuhan Institute of Virology’s gain-of-function research, because it would bring unwelcome attention to U.S. government funding of it.
Then came the revelation that the Lancet statement was not only signed but organized by a zoologist named Peter Daszak, who has repackaged U.S. government grants and allocated them to facilities conducting gain-of-function research—among them the WIV itself. David Asher, now a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute, ran the State Department’s day-to-day COVID-19 origins inquiry. He said it soon became clear that “there is a huge gain-of-function bureaucracy” inside the federal government.
Under the subject line, “No need for you to sign the “Statement” Ralph!!,” he wrote to two scientists, including UNC’s Dr. Ralph Baric, who had collaborated with Shi Zhengli on the gain-of-function study that created a coronavirus capable of infecting human cells: “you, me and him should not sign this statement, so it has some distance from us and therefore doesn’t work in a counterproductive way.” Daszak added, “We’ll then put it out in a way that doesn’t link it back to our collaboration so we maximize an independent voice.”

Baric did not sign the statement. In the end, Daszak did.

The Lab-Leak Theory: Inside the Fight to Uncover COVID-19’s Origins | Vanity Fair

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Truth will come out in the end, God will see to it.
I'm not going to hold my breath on this. I would like to see how it is going to be spun if they do indeed find out that people are responsible for this virus which has killed millions and what is done about it. Seeing how "investigations" have been the last few decades have culminated into what seems nothing burgers in the end I don't hold a huge amount of hope this leads to criminal charges and lengthy prison sentences of those who are in charge it is too often that the big shots sacrifice underlings for their misdeeds and it ends up like a bad movie in that you turn it off and not even bother watching how it ends.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I don't hold a huge amount of hope this leads to criminal charges and lengthy prison sentences of those who are in charge...

Why does it have to be criminal? Lab worker working with corona viruses has a bad day with inadvertant exposure to the virus. Goes home. Coughs. Spouse goes to work the next day. Coughs. There is your pandemic.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟860,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On February 19, 2020, The Lancet, among the most respected and influential medical journals in the world, published a statement that roundly rejected the lab-leak hypothesis, effectively casting it as a xenophobic cousin to climate change denialism and anti-vaxxism. Signed by 27 scientists, the statement expressed “solidarity with all scientists and health professionals in China” and asserted: “We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin.”

The Lancet statement effectively ended the debate over COVID-19’s origins before it began. To Gilles Demaneuf, following along from the sidelines, it was as if it had been “nailed to the church doors,” establishing the natural origin theory as orthodoxy. “Everyone had to follow it. Everyone was intimidated. That set the tone.”
A months long Vanity Fair investigation, interviews with more than 40 people, and a review of hundreds of pages of U.S. government documents, including internal memos, meeting minutes, and email correspondence, found that conflicts of interest, stemming in part from large government grants supporting controversial virology research, hampered the U.S. investigation into COVID-19’s origin at every step. In one State Department meeting, officials seeking to demand transparency from the Chinese government say they were explicitly told by colleagues not to explore the Wuhan Institute of Virology’s gain-of-function research, because it would bring unwelcome attention to U.S. government funding of it.
Then came the revelation that the Lancet statement was not only signed but organized by a zoologist named Peter Daszak, who has repackaged U.S. government grants and allocated them to facilities conducting gain-of-function research—among them the WIV itself. David Asher, now a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute, ran the State Department’s day-to-day COVID-19 origins inquiry. He said it soon became clear that “there is a huge gain-of-function bureaucracy” inside the federal government.
Under the subject line, “No need for you to sign the “Statement” Ralph!!,” he wrote to two scientists, including UNC’s Dr. Ralph Baric, who had collaborated with Shi Zhengli on the gain-of-function study that created a coronavirus capable of infecting human cells: “you, me and him should not sign this statement, so it has some distance from us and therefore doesn’t work in a counterproductive way.” Daszak added, “We’ll then put it out in a way that doesn’t link it back to our collaboration so we maximize an independent voice.”

Baric did not sign the statement. In the end, Daszak did.

The Lab-Leak Theory: Inside the Fight to Uncover COVID-19’s Origins | Vanity Fair
investigations like these are to please westerners looking to cast blame on something. China will never admit to such acts as it would put them in a place of blame and something honor cultures simply will not do. you could have hard facts implicating china and china will always deny them. Honor cultures are not transparent as this is a sign of weakness and if you're not willing to bring your advisory to their needs then you need to bring about problems in ways that show them honor not blame. I'm not saying this is the right way but there is an innate conflict when transparency is put as the highest value to a country/culture that puts honor as the highest value. eastern honor cultures are not driven to expose every dark corner with light and are very happy to let some darkness stay in darkness so long as they can maintain honor.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Why does it have to be criminal? Lab worker working with corona viruses has a bad day with inadvertant exposure to the virus. Goes home. Coughs. Spouse goes to work the next day. Coughs. There is your pandemic.
Good luck on that. I doubt in a court of law that if you told the judge that I screwed up and released a deadly virus into the public and didn't tell anyone and later my bosses when they were given knowledge that I may have released a deadly virus did nothing and all the way up the line nobody who heard about this did nothing but instead lied and said nothing happened that millions of dead that may have not died if this were caught early would be alive now the judge would say.... ok you are free to go. Likely the judge would charge a lot of people with criminal negligence or maybe negligent homicide even.

Upvote 0