Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the Jewish understanding of Isaiah 24?  Was it a prophecy of judgment concerning the captivity of the Jewish nation by the Babylonians or some other ancient power?  If so, what were the "laws" and "ordinances" that were transgressed?  How was the covenant broken?  Who were the "host of the high ones", the "kings of the earth" that were shut away for a time.

Thanks,

Acts6:5

1st March 2003 at 08:27 PM Acts6:5 said this in Post #1

What is the Jewish understanding of Isaiah 24?  Was it a prophecy of judgment concerning the captivity of the Jewish nation by the Babylonians or some other ancient power?  If so, what were the "laws" and "ordinances" that were transgressed?  How was the covenant broken?  Who were the "host of the high ones", the "kings of the earth" that were shut away for a time.

Thanks,

Acts6:5

Hi Acts.. Well you may want to go here and read the JPS (Jewish Publication Society) version of Isaiah 24. The JPS is a Tanach (the Complete Old Testament in what is considered a good Orthodox Jewish translation)  You can read it here: http://www.hareidi.org/bible/Isaiah24.htm#1

I have a Study Bible that makes the claim that it gives the meaning of things in Hebrew and Greek because some words that got mistranslated over time in the bibles such as the KJV, NIV, NKJV, have some what affected the meaning of things in Hebrew and Greek, the orginal languages of the Old and New Testaments.

Here is what the Study Bible says reguarding Isaiah 24:

24:1-12, The section of Isaiah's prophecies (24:1-27:13) is often called the Little Apocolypse because it looks beyond the immediate judgement of Israel's Gentile neighbors to the final judgements of the Tribulation period and the ushering in of the messianic kingdom. These chapters present universal judgments followed by universal blessings.

The Lord moves in cataclysmic judgment upon the earth (erets), not simply on the "land" of Israel. In these verses "land" should read "earth". The severity of the Tribulation period is indicated by the statement that the Lord maketh the earth empty, and... waste. Turneth upside down is better read "distorts". Thus, through war, God empties the earth and leaves it a devastated and distorted wasteland. The cities of the earth are described as desolate and burned as a result of this universal destruction.

24:13-23, The universal nature of this eschatological judgment leaves the people of the earth as the shaking of an olive tree (ie, empty and retaining only negligible remains). The reference to the uttermost part of the earth emphasizes the universal extent of this prophecy. This devastation will be so great that the foundations of the earth do shake from the aftershock. Thus, the earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard. God's judgment will rock the very stability of the planet, reminding the people of earth that they have rebelled against Him. The host of the high ones (Satanic powers) and the kings of the earth (earthly powers) will be gathered in the pit..shut up...many days. After a period of time shall they be visited (lit, "punished"). Notice the parallel to Revelation 20:1-3, where Satan is bound in the bottomless pit for a thousand years and then loosed for a "little season", only to be finally cast into the lake of fire.

I hope this helps you to get started in understanding what you want to get out of Is. 24. It might be wise to note that the book of Isaiah is a prophetic book that looks farther into the future than any other Old Testament book.

Missy

Upvote 0
LOL, No problem.. but hey I didn't write that.. I am NOT that smart.. I just copied it from the Study Bible as I said.. LOL! Because I can triple guarantee you if I didn't, and I would have read Isaiah 24 and been like .. HUH ? at the end.. Thank God for intelligent studied men of God to write this stuff down to help up peons understand.. hee hee!

Take care all,
Missy

Upvote 0