Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hm, I guess that God desired to make it very clear that Joseph was not the (physical/genetical) father of Jesus.
A curse was pronounced on Jeconiah, that
Jeremiah 22:30 "no man of his descendants will prosper sitting on the throne of David,"

The genealogy of Matthew emphasizes the name of Jeconiah by putting a little story to it
"11 and Josiah the father of Jeconiah and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon.
12 After the exile to Babylon: Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel,"
and it ends by simply not stating that Joseph was the father
"16 and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, and Mary was the mother of Jesus who is called the Messiah."

The genealogy in Luke uses a (to me) cryptic way of saying that Mary's father was Heli (there is a conflict here with the apocryphal gospel of James that states the names of Mary's parents as Joachim and Anne) and we can see that her ancestral line does go back to David, yet not through Solomon, but through Nathan.

So maybe the sole purpose of that prophecy in Jeremiah was to prepare for a future situation.

Conclusion: I do not think that Jesus had genetics from his earthly father Joseph. Joseph was his father in the sense that he nurtured Mary and Jesus, and probably brought him up as any father would.

https://jewsforjesus.org/learn/the-genealogy-of-the-messiah/

Last edited:

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Joseph was born out of a Levrite marriage. His fathers were brothers born to the same woman who had remarried after the death of her first husband. One was descended from David through Solomon and the other through Nathan. When one brother married but died childless, his brother raised up seed for the deceased by laying with his widow.

Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
oops, I forgot to add the important reference to JewsForJesus website, now fixed.

@prodromos, can I ask you for a reference on this information? Is this your interpretation of the verses (maybe the interpretation you support), or is it from an external source?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is from St John of Damascus. I'm afraid I don't have a link handy.

All that we know of Mary's lineage from Scripture is that she would be of the same tribe as Joseph, and also of David's line as it is proper that Jesus is biologically a descendant of David and not just legally.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟206,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is from St John of Damascus. I'm afraid I don't have a link handy.

All that we know of Mary's lineage from Scripture is that she would be of the same tribe as Joseph, and also of David's line as it is proper that Jesus is biologically a descendant of David and not just legally.
Hm, I guess that God desired to make it very clear that Joseph was not the (physical/genetical) father of Jesus.
A curse was pronounced on Jeconiah, that
Jeremiah 22:30 "no man of his descendants will prosper sitting on the throne of David,"

The genealogy of Matthew emphasizes the name of Jeconiah by putting a little story to it
"11 and Josiah the father of Jeconiah and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon.
12 After the exile to Babylon: Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel,"
and it ends by simply not stating that Joseph was the father
"16 and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, and Mary was the mother of Jesus who is called the Messiah."

The genealogy in Luke uses a (to me) cryptic way of saying that Mary's father was Heli (there is a conflict here with the apocryphal gospel of James that states the names of Mary's parents as Joachim and Anne) and we can see that her ancestral line does go back to David, yet not through Solomon, but through Nathan.

So maybe the sole purpose of that prophecy in Jeremiah was to prepare for a future situation.

Conclusion: I do not think that Jesus had genetics from his earthly father Joseph. Joseph was his father in the sense that he nurtured Mary and Jesus, and probably brought him up as any father would.

The Genealogy of the Messiah
My opinion......the order of Melchizedek
Luke is not a Genealogy....Either for Priesthood, nor Royalty. The order of Melchizedek is according the seed of promise.
Covenant of marriage
Two become one flesh, no longer two.
Seed of promise...
1. The seed of promise to the woman Eve, is also Adams seed. The mother of all the living.

Abraham two women, two covenants
Gen 15 Concubine: servant wife
The seed of Abraham 12 princes.

Gen 17 Married wife (marriage Covenant)
The seed of the woman kings of Abraham's loins through Sarah (seed of the woman).

Ge 17:16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.

David, king of Israel Matthew also includes women in its genealogy.
It does not go through Solomon
1Ki 11:11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.

Lukes lists continues with the seed of the woman in the marital covenant of one flesh

To which Joseph is reckoned as the husband of Mary (one flesh) in the order of Melchizedek, the seed of promise through the marital covenant of one flesh.

Jesus on marriage rejects divorce
Mth 4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Heb 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. {without descent: Gr. without pedigree }

We in the new covenant acknowledge Jesus as An Highpriest/king. He is not just, king of Judah, he is not just king of Israel, He is an highpriest in the order of Melchizek.

Upvote 0