The grey hair thread

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Did someone / anyone/ post what God says about grey hair ?

Does God do what is best ?

Did God say anything in His Word about vanity ?

Did God say how to adorn the soul ? (compared to outward looks)

Coloring ones hair isn't always about vanity any more than washing it is. It is about putting our best self forward as a representative of Him. If my identity is wrapped up in whether or not my hair is grey or not, then maybe there is a vanity issue. But if it is just a stop at the beauticians, no different than a hair cut....or a box you buy at the same time you buy your shampoo, then no, it isn't that big of a deal.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I dye my hair. I'm nearly 50 and my youngest is 5. I get too many dumb stares when my son calls me mum & the grey hairs are showing.

Older parents are becoming more and more common these days it seems. I know of a lot of parents my age with kids in grade school (6 to 12yrs old).

When I go to Walmart to buy my grandson some diapers and other supplies, the cashiers will make pleasant small talk and ask how old my son/daughter is. I always tell them the truth; he's 23 and she's 21. These are for my grandson, lol. They are always shocked...

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Older parents are becoming more and more common these days it seems. I know of a lot of parents my age with kids in grade school (6 to 12yrs old).

When I go to Walmart to buy my grandson some diapers and other supplies, the cashiers will make pleasant small talk and ask how old my son/daughter is. I always tell them the truth; he's 23 and she's 21. These are for my grandson, lol. They are always shocked...

It is safer to make the assumption that the grey headed person is a parent even when our gut says "grandparent". As someone who made that mistake once and will never do it again. So we don't really know what they are thinking. Most mothers of 5 year olds are still under 35 years of age...and usually younger.

Older parents are usually men on their second family....women still have a time limit on fertility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sure your 5 year old doesn't care what colour your hair is and just accepts you for who you are.

Its those other mums that seem to be judgy all the time. meh. Well, you keeping the hair dye company in business. Cos once you dye your hair you have to keep doing it.

I really think that some mothers can be the most judgemental type of people of all in that even if you don't have children, they somehow think it gives them the right to look down on you. But we aren't to please others who are busybodies. We are to please the Lord and as it says in scripture He knows the hairs on our heads.

If I dyed my hair again to please everyone else or dressed the way everyone else expected me to I think I would go nuts. I think it is peer pressure in a way. Or the hair dye companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I just stick my tongue out to them and wear a hat or scarf I can change colour any day I want.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
And all those hats and scarves are free? Nobody is getting rich off my $8 a box twice a year. I think I am good. It is just hair. I shave most of the rest off anyway. Are clean shaven legs & pits also vanity? Or clean shaven faces for men? God put the hair there in the first place.

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A wookie? As in chewbacca?

lol
I'm sure that that was just a costume.
Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia absoltuely HATED her hairdo.

It didn't catch on obviously. She said it made her face look twice as wide as it did on screen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

[emoji106]

The majority of the mums at my son's school are under 35. Myself and one other mum are in our 40s. I very nicely stare back at the ones who do stare though as they tend to be the very same ones who do not have the guts to remark further. [emoji1]

Sent from my cuckoo, la la mind ;-)

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure your 5 year old doesn't care what colour your hair is and just accepts you for who you are.

Its those other mums that seem to be judgy all the time. meh. Well, you keeping the hair dye company in business. Cos once you dye your hair you have to keep doing it.

I really think that some mothers can be the most judgemental type of people of all in that even if you don't have children, they somehow think it gives them the right to look down on you. But we aren't to please others who are busybodies. We are to please the Lord and as it says in scripture He knows the hairs on our heads.

If I dyed my hair again to please everyone else or dressed the way everyone else expected me to I think I would go nuts. I think it is peer pressure in a way. Or the hair dye companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I just stick my tongue out to them and wear a hat or scarf I can change colour any day I want.
For sure, MC does not mind at all, he is more transfixed with the hard core grey whiskers which sneak out occasionally on my chin.

Can't say I am in any way fussed about anyone's concern with me keeping any hair dye company in business. It's not like I've bought shares or anything, and I am happy with what I am doing.

Sent from my cuckoo, la la mind ;-)

Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So..you just trying to fit in with mums who are 5 years or more years younger by dying your hair?

Ok. But wouldnt they stare at you MORE because you dye your hair? Then you have to keep doing it because when your roots start showing it looks all funny. Doesnt that just undo the purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
ok whatever, seems more hassle than its worth.

I have a friend who dyes her hair, and she's always going on about it. I don't know how often you need to do it, but, just seems hassle. It does look strange when roots are showing and you all two-tone. I'm glad that, mine grew out eventually so I didn't look like a skunk, its very high maintainence...plus, most hair dyes being toxic, I'm wary of what I'm putting on my scalp.

My grand uncle dyed his hair once so that he would look 'younger' for wedding photos. But I don't think he kept up with it.

I now see older people with blue hair, like marge simpson of course it doesn't make them look any younger. Their hair colour may be different, but their face and hands show their age anyway. But I suppose some people just have an aversion to going grey?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
ok whatever, seems more hassle than its worth.

I have a friend who dyes her hair, and she's always going on about it. I don't know how often you need to do it, but, just seems hassle. It does look strange when roots are showing and you all two-tone. I'm glad that, mine grew out eventually so I didn't look like a skunk, its very high maintainence...plus, most hair dyes being toxic, I'm wary of what I'm putting on my scalp.

My grand uncle dyed his hair once so that he would look 'younger' for wedding photos. But I don't think he kept up with it.

I now see older people with blue hair, like marge simpson of course it doesn't make them look any younger. Their hair colour may be different, but their face and hands show their age anyway. But I suppose some people just have an aversion to going grey?

I already said that I initially started dying my hair because the way it sunbleached, I always looked like I had dark roots...so I darkened the rest of it to match the roots. Now it doesn't show the roots because I dye it a color close to my natural color and I still have more non-white than white...so it looks natural as it grows out. I only dye mine about twice a year...so pretty low maintenance and not a big deal. (and I also take good care of my skin so it doesn't look "old" either).

Personally, I'd find it more a hassle to pick out a scarf and a hat to wear that matched my clothes (and I couldn't wear at work anyway). I actually don't think about the color of my hair most days at all.

Upvote 0

hopesprings

Apr 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟20,507.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Hair dyeing can be a lot of work, especially for those who choose a dye color that contrasts strongly with their natural hair color (dark to blonde, blonde to dark). As soon as the hair starts growing out the "skunk stripe" shows up, as you mentioned. ;) I think it may be easier now to maintain a color with the availability of "root treatment" colouring (literally just applied to the roots in between full colourings). I'm not motivated enough to do it myself but each to their own. :) Any colours I've used have faded out to the extent that I didn't have to worry about the "stripe". lol Then again, they were colours not too far off from my natural hair color so I think that helped. I did have to quit colouring my hair because of allergies to the colorant so now I'm looking forward to the natural silver strand look.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I once tried henna as it was natural but of course it didnt show as my hair is black lol. I thought, mistakenly, that my hair would be a lovely red, but, actually, it has to be bleached before it goes a different colour.

Now that some of my hair is going white, I COULD have highlights or streaks, but...the problem would still be as it grows out, it will just be disconcertingly two tone.

I have come to the conclusion its vanity. Ok for some people, they still need that, but Im kinda over it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also, i befriended someone who dyed her hair like completely all the time. She then Started asking ME to go fetch her hair dye for her as she had to have an exclusive one from a particular salon that was near me, as she didnt have a car.

It was a very expensive bleach and one that you could only buy from this certain salon.
After she asked me this a few times I got wised up that she was using me as her hair dye mule.

Upvote 0