Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the early 1700's a librarian from the Vatican discovered an ancient codex containing the 4 Gospels of the New Testament written in Aramaic. On its last page the scribe made a note that it had been completed on December 18th, 78 AD. This information was forgotten until around 1889 when a biblical scholar republished this information. However, still to this day no one knows if this ancient codex is still in the Vatican Library or not. Could this truly be the oldest manuscript from the New Testament?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the early 1700's a librarian from the Vatican discovered an ancient codex containing the 4 Gospels of the New Testament written in Aramaic. On its last page the scribe made a note that it had been completed on December 18th, 78 AD. This information was forgotten until around 1889 when a biblical scholar republished this information. However, still to this day no one knows if this ancient codex is still in the Vatican Library or not. Could this truly be the oldest manuscript from the New Testament?

The four gospels weren't written before 78 AD. And no one could have dated anything 78 AD. At least not at that time.

D
dan.pine
According to Orthodox Tradition the Synoptics Gospels would have been written prior to 78 AD. The Gospel of St. John was written just before his release from Patmos which was after 78 AD. I would also be a little suspect of all four gospel having been written in Aramaic that early in time anyway.
Upvote 0
D
dan.pine
Matthew was originally written in that language for the Hebrew Christian community around Jerusalem prior to his leaving for Africa to spread the Gospel. The other three as far as I’m aware we’re written in Greek. To circulate those scrolls in that time and have them translated etc would have been a large task. Hope this helps, may God bless you in your journey of His truth
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The four gospels weren't written before 78 AD. And no one could have dated anything 78 AD. At least not at that time.
Ya, that's the common assumption - with no evidence at all. If you have any, please post it because I know by your comment you haven't watched the video evidence.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Regardless of the dating of when the Gospels were written, there was no such thing as a "78 AD" in 78 AD. That system of dating wouldn't exist for centuries. No scribe from that period would--or even could--date something like that.

Further, the Gospels were written in Greek. And would only later have been translated into Aramaic.

The whole scenario sounds beyond absurd.

This reminds me of being 7 years old and during recess at school I was playing with rocks. I was pretending I found a rock dated to the year 1, to Adam and Eve. I even wrote a "1" on the rock with another rock. I was 7 and playing pretend.

Now imagine if I was an adult and tried to make that a serious claim.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Regardless of the dating of when the Gospels were written. There was no such thing as a "78 AD" in 78 AD. That system of dating wouldn't exist for centuries. No scribe from that period would--or even could--date something like that.

Further, the Gospels were written in Greek. And would only later have been translated into Aramaic.

-CryptoLutheran
Have you even WATCHED video evidence. Your supposed critiques aren't even valid.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,115,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Regardless of the dating of when the Gospels were written, there was no such thing as a "78 AD" in 78 AD. That system of dating wouldn't exist for centuries. No scribe from that period would--or even could--date something like that.

This reminds me of being 7 years old and during recess at school I was playing with rocks. I was pretending I found a rock dated to the year 1, to Adam and Eve. I even wrote a "1" on the rock with another rock. I was 7 and playing pretend.

Now imagine if I was an adult and tried to make that a serious claim.

-CryptoLutheran
3:58
excitedly pushes his hands away and turns to the last page of the book he points to a couple of handwritten lines
4:05
at the bottom of the page the librarian reads the text he shakes
4:10
his head he can't believe what he has just read he bends over to examine it more closely his mouth open in disbelief
4:19
he studies it again slowly this holy book was completed on the
4:25
fifth day of the week the 18th of Canon in the year of the Greeks 389.
4:32
he does some quick calculations in his head the year 389 according to the seleucid calendar is the year 78 in the
4:40
year of Our Lord December 18th 78 A.D
4:46
unbelievable this manuscript is stating that the text is from the first century 1600 years
4:54
prior to when he was living when some of the first apostles will were still living

OOPS!

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And that's pretty sad. You have time to watched hour long episodes of the Witcher or movies like Harry Potter and Marvel Super Heroes but you can't make the effort to watch people explain truth about biblical matters. Sad.
First, I've been in church chanting services every night since August 1st for the Fast of the Dormition.

Second, I have a degree in religious studies and the start of a Masters in Divinity so this is old news.

Third, if I'm going to read, watch or listen to something on religion, I'm going to be doing that from someone in the Orthodox Church, not some random guy on the internet.

Finally, who gave YOU the right to judge me? I'm going to be facing the Lord Almighty who will say “Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to the least of these My brethren, you did it to me”, not if I watched a 30 minute video.

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, I've been in church chanting services every night since August 1st for the Fast of the Dormition.

Second, I have a degree in religious studies and the start of a Masters in Divinity so this is old news.

Third, if I'm going to read, watch or listen to something on religion, I'm going to be doing that from someone in the Orthodox Church, not some random guy on the internet.

Finally, who gave YOU the right to judge me? I'm going to be facing the Lord Almighty who will say “Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to the least of these My brethren, you did it to me”, not if I watched a 30 minute video.
Your mind set is very clear. Not a teachable spirit. Not like the Bereans at all.
And LOL, "Masters in Divinity so this is old news." Sure it is. Sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟637,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Don't you know??? Aware of Orthodoxy as a chanter and a Masters of Divinity pales in comparison to a teenager's YouTube find...

Come on, it's got all the authority of some dude on the internet!! It's practically, almost, Canon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't you know??? Aware of Orthodoxy as a chanter and a Masters of Divinity pales on comparison to a teenager's YouTube find...

Come on, it's got all the authority of some dude on the internet!! It's practically, almost, Canon.
I know... 2 years of confirmation class as a Lutheran, 5 years of college, 5 years as a Lutheran elder (basically the equivalent of a deacon), twenty years of chanting, a year at Holy Cross being taught by a professor who is fluent in 13 languages (Romanian (native), French, German, Modern Hebrew, Italian, Hebrew, Akkadian, Syriac, Aramaic, Ugaritic, Ethiopic (Ge'ez), Greek, Latin.) But you're right... I should have started with YouTube...

Oy vey... I've had the canons of Paraklesis running through my mind the last two weeks as an ear worm. Even Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is done in Tone Plagal Four. :bow: (PS this is not a metanoia but me beating my head on the floor to get the Tone out of my head... )

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know... 2 years of confirmation class as a Lutheran, 5 years of college, 5 years as a Lutheran elder (basically the equivalent of a deacon), twenty years of chanting, a year at Holy Cross being taught by a professor who is fluent in 13 languages (Romanian (native), French, German, Modern Hebrew, Italian, Hebrew, Akkadian, Syriac, Aramaic, Ugaritic, Ethiopic (Ge'ez), Greek, Latin.) But you're right... I should have started with YouTube...

Oy vey... I've had the canons of Paraklesis running through my mind the last two weeks as an ear worm. Even Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is done in Tone Plagal Four. :bow: (PS this is not a metanoia but me beating my head on the floor to get the Tone out of my head... )
Well, if we're playing who has got the better credentials. 45 years as a Christian. 35 years deeply studying the Word of God.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, if we're playing who has got the better credentials. 45 years as a Christian. 35 years deeply studying the Word of God.
What I'm saying is that this is old news and has been discounted by Christian scholars. Some church fathers did say that there was evidence of an Aramaic Matthew (Papias, Jerome, Irenaeus, and Origen). As for the rest of the NT, it makes absolutely no sense that Paul would be writing in Aramaic to communities outside of Judea or to Timothy, who was from Anatolia and would have no reason for knowing Aramaic.

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's in an official Roman Catholic publication from early 1700's. It's published by the head of the Vatican Library. Accurate on pain of excommunication and imprisonment. Unless you can point to any refutation from later than that, your opinion is totally inaccurate.

To address your unfounded views of linguistics of the early Christian era. The lingua franca of the entire Mesopotamian region was Aramaic. It had been since at least 700 BC. Josephus is very clear that the language of the Jews was not Greek. When you have read Josephus, Murdoch, Etheridge, Norton, Neubauer, Torrey and Burney then you can say what makes or doesn't make sense what language Paul wrote in.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr E
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's in an official Roman Catholic publication from early 1700's. It's published by the head of the Vatican Library. Accurate on pain of excommunication and imprisonment. Unless you can point to any refutation from later than that, your opinion is totally inaccurate.

To address your unfounded views of linguistics of the early Christian era. The lingua franca of the entire Mesopotamian region was Aramaic. It had been since at least 700 BC. Josephus is very clear that the language of the Jews was not Greek. When you have read Josephus, Murdoch, Etheridge, Norton, Neubauer, Torrey and Burney then you can say what makes or doesn't make sense what language Paul wrote in.

Jews in the region spoke several languages, typically, not just Aramaic. They weren't like Americans that only spoke one language. In fact around the world, that's the norm more than the exception.

Upvote 0

Mr E

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2023
San Diego
✟28,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not here too! Glad to see you removed your blog on this subject.

:liturgy: The librarian is in. I'll try to refrain from beating your dead horse.

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not here too! Glad to see you removed your blog on this subject.

:liturgy: The librarian is in. I'll try to refrain from beating your dead horse.
You'll be reported the minute you resort to your typical abusive and vindictive language.

Upvote 0