Nov 4, 2007
California
Visit site
✟20,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
(This post was originally posted by Isabella in "Welcome to Charismatic Renewal" but I moved it here so that it could have a thread of its own and so that everyone could see it and share in the discussion)

icon10.gif
The Gift of Fear of God

Ok, my friend lets give this a try. I would first like to start out with a prayer.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the precious Holy Spirit, Amen. Eternal Father we come before you, praising your Holy name, and thanking you for the gift of your only son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Father, please bless this time we share together. We ask you to send your Holy Spirit that He may descend upon each one that participates and reads this thread. May their eyes, ears and heart be open to receive the special gift and blessings you have just for them. Give us the graces to learn and live your virtues, so that we might be the light that shines in such a dark world, to help those that have lost their way. May we guide them back to you Father, through your son Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. We rebuke the spirits of darkness, and send them to the foot of the cross, where they may be disposed of, for only light can shine into darkness. This we pray, in Jesus name, covered and sealed in his blood. Amen

Fear of the Lord is one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit as described in Isaiah 11:2-3
The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: a spirit of wisdom and of understanding. A spirit of counsel and of strength, a spirit of knowledge and of fear of the Lord, and his delight shall be the fear of the Lord.

Fear of the Lord establishes the proper relationship between Creator and creature and to moderate the disordered impulses of our concupiscence.

The gift of fear is called filial. It consists in the repuganance that the soul feels at the thought of being separated from God. This fear comes from love. Whosoever desires, whosoever loves, experiences a profound fear of being separated from the loved one, of displeasing him. Love cannot be conceived of without fear. One who loves deeply has a fear that is above all other fears, fear of separation from the beloved. This gift of fear which is directed by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of God unites us to Himself in such a way that He infused in us instinctive, profound, efficacious horror of being separated from God, which makes us say: Everything, except to be parted from Him; everything, except to lose our close union with the Beloved! It is a filial fear, a noble fear, born from the very heart of love. Perfect, loving, filial fear is the gift of fear of God. (Taken from the book: “The Sanctifier” by; Most Rev. Luis M. Martinez)

The gift of fear of the Lord corresponds to the virtue of hope.
The gift of fear of the Lord confirms in those who have it the virtue of hope and infuses profound respect for God’s glory and selfless love for God. It protects from sin through dread of offending God.
Our desire for the kingdom of heaven, and our trust in Christ’s promises. Heb 10:23 “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” Hope resides in the will; it keeps us from discouragement, sustains us during desolation, and opens our hearts to eternal beatitude. God’s almighty power, infinite goodness, and fidelity to His promises are the pillars of our hope that we will receive the grace necessary to reach heaven.

Possible questions for discussion: 1. How can there be a gift of fear? 2. Is not charity at the root of all gifts? 3. Do not the scriptures say that perfect love excludes fear? 4. How is it possible, then, that fear of God can come from profound divine root of charity?
Blessings and Peace :angel:

CatholicFlame

The Lord is Risen Indeed
Nov 4, 2007
California
Visit site
✟20,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I remember this girl I met at youtube who was doing apologetics and she was the most good natured person I have met in a long time. The reason why was she had such humility and I believe also the gift of fear of God.

She once said something to a person who had insulted her, "I don't want to say anything to offend you !" Really sincerely! I think the other person got converted by that, lol.

I don't know exactly how to explain this because I forget all the details, but I think basically she had a fear of even offending a person because of her love for Jesus. Is this the same as fear of God?

Hmm, I am still trying to comprehend what this gift means. I do understand that you have a fear of losing God's friendship and so you avoid sin. But I wonder how truly I have that gift, probably not much. Otherwise I would probably be a very different person I think.

Anyone have some expereience of liek abefore and after of this gift from God? i.e. what you like befoer the gift and after you received it (or received it more fully).

Thanks. I am praying now to receive this so that I can love my Lord so much more.

God bless you Isabella for this topic for us.

Upvote 0

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember this girl I met at youtube who was doing apologetics and she was the most good natured person I have met in a long time. The reason why was she had such humility and I believe also the gift of fear of God.

She once said something to a person who had insulted her, "I don't want to say anything to offend you !" Really sincerely! I think the other person got converted by that, lol.

I don't know exactly how to explain this because I forget all the details, but I think basically she had a fear of even offending a person because of her love for Jesus. Is this the same as fear of God?

Hmm, I am still trying to comprehend what this gift means. I do understand that you have a fear of losing God's friendship and so you avoid sin. But I wonder how truly I have that gift, probably not much. Otherwise I would probably be a very different person I think.

Anyone have some expereience of liek abefore and after of this gift from God? i.e. what you like befoer the gift and after you received it (or received it more fully).

Thanks. I am praying now to receive this so that I can love my Lord so much more.

God bless you Isabella for this topic for us.
I think this might help out too. It really helped me! Taken from the book “The Sanctifier” By; Most Rev. Luis M. Martinez.

There are various kinds of fear: there is the fear of pain and fear of blame; there is also a mundane fear that makes us forget the holy commandments of God and commit sin – fear, that is, of some earthly, temporal evil. How many are there who separate themselves from God through such earthly fear!

There is another fear that keeps us from sin and brings us close to God, but which is imperfect: theologians call it “servile fear,” the fear of punishment. There is no doubt that this fear keeps us many times from falling into sin; but the motive is of an inferior order, and without the nobility proper to love. Servile fear is not the gift of fear of God.

Filial fear, the gift of “Fear of God”, is the beginning of wisdom, because, in order to possess divine wisdom, we need to unite ourselves so closely to God that nothing can separate us from Him. The gift of fear unites us with God in this way. It hinders us from ever separating ourselves from the Beloved, and in that sense it is the beginning of wisdom.

Many of the great deeds in the lives of the saints were inspired by the gift of fear. Here is one example: St. Louis Gonzaga wept and scourged himself when he had to confess some little faults that we find it hard to believe were really sins. Why such tears from the saints? Why such grief? Because he examined so closely, under the influence of the gift of fear, the magnitude of those faults which to us seem insignificant; because he saw evil in them, a sign of separation from God. They were certainly very slight, but is anything really insignificant in love? When one loves passionately, does not the slightest danger of being removed from the beloved tear the heart to pieces?

There are many degrees of the gifts, as there are degrees of virtues. By practice and with the act of performing by it you become stronger and more perfect in that gift.

The gift of “Fear of God” in the first degree produces horror for sin and strength to overcome temptation. How often have we known in the depths of our soul, the quick, instinctive impulse in the presence of temptation to leave the danger at once! It was the Holy Spirit moving us with His gift of fear.

The second degree of the gift, the soul not only stays away from sin. But clings to God with profound reverence, avoiding even insignificant acts that are signs of imperfection.

The third degree of the gift is total detachment from things of this earth. That is why theologians say that this gift produces the first of the beatitudes: that of poverty of spirit. When we cling to God and avoid all that can separate us from him, the exterior things of the world lose their fascination for us, then the soul knows it’s free, and experiences divine detachment characteristic of this stage of the spiritual life. Blessings and Peace.

Upvote 0

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
On a personal note I believe that in all the gifts, the more one practices it the more perfect the use of that gift becomes. I believe that I only have the first degree of this gift, and the second degree is starting to come. I usually don’t share my private personal experiences, but see that in forums they can be useful in helping others. I will give an example of how this gift has worked in my life just two days ago. I happened to invade my boyfriend’s privacy, by reading his e-mail, and then took action on one e-mail I had read. After I had done so, I was stricken with an overwhelming profound sorrow in my heart and soul. I realized what I had done was not that bad but to me it was something between us, dishonesty in a way. I was so sorry for what I did; I actually sat down and cried, even though it appeared to be something small. Then I was compelled to go on my knees in prayer asking the Lords forgiveness. Then had to immediately come clean and tell my boyfriend the details of what I had done. I believe it was the gift of fear, that the Holy Spirit moved me in such a way. Hopefully this experience will help someone else understand the degree in which the Holy Spirit works in this gift. Blessings and Peace:angel:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.