TX
✟16,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
The genetic code is a literal digital and arbitrary code.

The only observed cause capable of producing this is intelligence. We only know of intelligence producing what our very bodies contain.

Anyone arguing against design being the best conclusion and reasonable inference is doing it merely for philosophical reasons.

Atheist place faith in maybes and one days, we don't.

Reactions: SkyWriting

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It isn't digital. I have no idea what you mean by arbitrary.

The only observed cause capable of producing this is intelligence.

Except it's not what you think it is, so this point is irrelevant.

Anyone arguing against design being the best conclusion and reasonable inference is doing it merely for philosophical reasons.

Or because they have, like me, worked in the area for over 30 years and actually understand it.

Nice dig. Obviously I cannot rejoin, since it would get me banned.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

oSitez

Apr 22, 2022
TX
✟16,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
It isn't digital. I have no idea what you mean by arbitrary.

Its 100% digital, this is a well established fact of biology. Arbitrary meaning the codon amino cid assignments are not determined by chemistry or physics, another well established fact.

The digital code of DNA | Nature.

Except it's not what you think it is, so this point is irrelevant.

Except it is, and you are uninformed on what the genetic code is. There is no other cause known to produce this. If you have it figured out the Royal Society is offering $10M for a solution, go get your money.

Evolution 2.0 AI & Origin of Life Challenge, $10M Prize | HeroX.

Or because they have, like me, worked in the area for over 30 years and actually understand it.

If you've worked in "the area" for 30 years and dispute that the genetic code is digital, arbitrary, and a literal code then I highly doubt you work in the area. These are all unanimously accepted in academia.

Sure your not lying?

Nice dig. Obviously I cannot rejoin, since it would get me banned.

Just the truth.

Upvote 0

oSitez

Apr 22, 2022
TX
✟16,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,003,166.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

The only observed cause capable of producing this is intelligence. We only know of intelligence producing what our very bodies contain.

Genetics, DNA and the 'genetic code' have no connection with atheism or atheists. Genes and DNA are the product of scientific investigation and discovery. Francis Collins, a practising Christian was heavily involved in the identification of individual genes.

You have a lot to learn.

OB

• Optimistic
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,306.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
\
Sure your not lying?

Yep, I am sure I am not lying. Also sure you won't be hearing from me again.

Just the truth.

Most deluded people do indeed think their fantasy nonsense is the truth.

Upvote 0

oSitez

Apr 22, 2022
TX
✟16,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Yep, I am sure I am not lying. Also sure you won't be hearing from me again.

OK, what field do you work in specifically?

Most deluded people do indeed think their fantasy nonsense is the truth.

Agreed, thinking the fantasy non sense of abiogenesis and UCD is truth is indeed delusional.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist

Not really. We have discovered a mechanism by which it can come about naturally.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. Sure your not lying?
Wow!!

That's gotta be a first! A record for CFs?

Covert accusations of lying directed at another member on the third post of a new thread and your second post overall at CFs!????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its 100% digital, this is a well established fact of biology. Arbitrary meaning the codon amino acid assignments are not determined by chemistry or physics, another well established fact.

If you don't know how they are determined, then the assignments are an un-established fact, not "well established."

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Its 100% digital, this is a well established fact of biology. Arbitrary meaning the codon amino cid assignments are not determined by chemistry or physics, another well established fact.

The digital code of DNA | Nature.
See, what it means when one says 'its a 100% digital' is that this is what one needs in order to explain how it currently works. In other words, its a model humans use to explain to other humans in a way that they can understand.
I wonder how/whether there would be such an explanation had computers and Information Sytems theory had not been, co-incidentally, under development at the same time? After all, that was the co-incident paradigm shift in vogue when Watson and Crick announced their research findings, no?

From the above paper:
We believe that a systems approach to biology is the key. It is clear, however, that this approach poses significant challenges, both scientific and cultural. The discovery of DNA structure started us on this journey, the end of which will be the grand unification of the biological sciences in the emerging, information-based view of biology.
An information systems approach is very much based on people's beliefs and predictions therefrom. Its easily noticeable that it works very well from that singular research avenue purpose and has provided an abundance of practically useful in-roads into issues in Biology, and (as mentioned) the Information Systems approach happened to be very much in vogue around Watson and Crick's time (early 1960s).
Less generally, the purpose for latching onto that particular way of thinking about it (and model) was specifically to explain how genetic information is stored and copied in living organisms ... but who says that is life's 'purpose'? Was that Watson/Crick, (etc)? What is life's purpose? I frankly don't know, but I do know that it necessarily isn't the only question worthy of investigation.

Other unknown model(s), or ways of thinking about life in a natural environment, other than an information systems model, could still produce other insights into how it came about .. we just don't know, yet I do see a lot of work coming from completely different approaches .. namely the field of Molecular Evolution/Biology.

Upvote 0

oSitez

Apr 22, 2022
TX
✟16,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Not knowing - is not knowing.

We know that intelligence is the only known cause capable of producing the genetic code. You have to make inferences and come to the most reasonable conclusion. Design is the best inference.

If you wish to place your faith in maybes and one days, that's fine. Just call it what it is...faith.

Upvote 0