Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This seems to be a difficult thing for me to explain to other people. Like I know in my heart what it means but I can't ever articulate what it is. So I was wondering how y'all would describe it to someone else who didn't understand what it meant. How do you fear God? What does fearing God mean to you in your life?

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure if this is right or not but I take it to mean, fearing displeasing Him. Like how bad we feel when we let our parents down. To let God down I think that feeling is much more intense though. I'm sure there's more to it than that but....I'm not the greatest with words either!!

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recall talking about this before the crash, in response to someone who was saying fear God because he could take our salvation away from us.

IMO we should be afraid of the consequences of disobeying God not because He will punish us but because of the harm that befalls us. By sinning (that is going against God's will) we end up hurting ourselves. Therefore we can love God who is love, and perfect love drives out fear. When we love and obey God perfectly there is nothing to be scared of.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
To me to fear God in the New Testament is simply to worship Him.

In Luke 4:8

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'

Jesus was quoting from Deut. 6:13, which actually says,

Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.

So he switched the word "fear" to "worship".

The fear of the Lord should never be understood as being afraid of God, as though God is going to punish you or strike you down with lightning. Fearing God is not like fearing a rattlesnake. If a christian feels this way about God, then he doesnt understnd the Father's heart.

Fearing God is also the feeling you get when God does an awesome miracle, an you are just struck by his power, love, mercy and goodness, that he wld do that for you, and you just stand there in reverent awe. :)

Upvote 0

kp_online

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
✟122.00
Faith
Christian
But God isn't all hugs and kisses. He is perfectly loving but at the same time perfectly just. I fear the consequences that God has for me since we are all accountable for every action and thought.

I just don't like it when people only look towards the loving Father and dismiss the discplining Father. I dunno. I'm just rambling.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything.... Sorry.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

As fear progresses from fear of punishment (as in a child) to awe, this is the beginning of Wisdom.

A morbid fear of punishment is servile fear. It does not lead to wisdom.

A child, on the other hand, who fears his parents loves his parents and desires to please them. He also knows that disobedient acts will be punished, so he likewise fears his parents. This is the beginning of righteous fear.

As a child grows, hopefully this fear toward his parents will mature into a healthy respect and love for his parents.

LIkewise our fear of God should grow into love for God.

Fear has also been described as awe in the presence of God. This is truly the beginning of Wisdom. Once we experience this fear, this awe, then we can begin to experience God in prayer in a way that human words cannot describe.

Hope this helps,

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But God isn't all hugs and kisses. He is perfectly loving but at the same time perfectly just. I fear the consequences that God has for me since we are all accountable for every action and thought.

If you fear God this way ie what he'll do to you for what you've done or not done, then what does this verse mean to you?

1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

John understood God's love for him better than all the other Apostles did. No wonder he called himself "the apostle whom Jesus loved" in his own epistle!

Justice and love need not be at odds with one another, for the 2 kissed at the cross.

Fearing God in terms of punishment means that one is still in bondage to the old system:

Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

In the NC we are so close to God we can call him Daddy God!

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chanterhanson said:
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

As fear progresses from fear of punishment (as in a child) to awe, this is the beginning of Wisdom.

A morbid fear of punishment is servile fear. It does not lead to wisdom.

A child, on the other hand, who fears his parents loves his parents and desires to please them. He also knows that disobedient acts will be punished, so he likewise fears his parents. This is the beginning of righteous fear.

As a child grows, hopefully this fear toward his parents will mature into a healthy respect and love for his parents.

LIkewise our fear of God should grow into love for God.

Fear has also been described as awe in the presence of God. This is truly the beginning of Wisdom. Once we experience this fear, this awe, then we can begin to experience God in prayer in a way that human words cannot describe.

Hope this helps,

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Great Post!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kp_online

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
✟122.00
Faith
Christian
Andrew I get what you are trying to say but I'm sort of confused by this topic.

I'll confess that I have not read the whole bible but I'm trying. But from my understanding God was all punishment and wrath to those that disobeyed Him in the old testement but in the new, God was all loving and forgiving. I know God doesn't change but there's something different going on.

Is it after the cross and resurrection that God's mindset changed?

Sorry I'm just confused. And does the new testement "overrule" the old? Because my understanding is that some events were done out of fear rather than their love for God.

I don't know. I'm probably wrong ...

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Andrew said:
To me to fear God in the New Testament is simply to worship Him.

In Luke 4:8

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'

Jesus was quoting from Deut. 6:13, which actually says,

Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.

So he switched the word "fear" to "worship".

Yes, I agree.

Do you realize that the ancient people, who did not know God as the Jews did, tried to appease the wrath of their gods, by sacrifices and worship?

Andrew said:
Fearing God is also the feeling you get when God does an awesome miracle, an you are just struck by his power, love, mercy and goodness, that he wld do that for you, and you just stand there in reverent awe. :)

Dearest Andrew in Christ:
Christ is Risen!

Truly, awe is the reverential fear which leads to Wisdom. And Who is Wisdom, but the Eternal Word of God, the Lord Jesus, our Savior.

Lovingly in the Lord and God Jesus Christ,
To Him be all glory and praise.

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
kp_online said:
Andrew I get what you are trying to say but I'm sort of confused by this topic.

I'll confess that I have not read the whole bible but I'm trying. But from my understanding God was all punishment and wrath to those that disobeyed Him in the old testement but in the new, God was all loving and forgiving. I know God doesn't change but there's something different going on.

Is it after the cross and resurrection that God's mindset changed?

Sorry I'm just confused. And does the new testement "overrule" the old? Because my understanding is that some events were done out of fear rather than their love for God.

I don't know. I'm probably wrong ...

We are all learning.

The Old Covenant was a different system altogether. It was conditional -- do good get good do bad get beat. That was the Law system. The Israelites boasted at Mt Sinai that they could do whatever the Lord commanded them to do. Up to then, God had led them out of Egypt purely by his grace (notice they did not get punished when they complained). But after Mt Sinai, it was a diff dispensation of Law becos the people asked for it. Wrong move.

SO when you read about God's wrath in the OT, it is usu becos he is following the system of Law ie if you obey God, you get blessed, if you dont, you get cursed! God has to be faithful to that covenant and deal accordingly. Yes he is a just God and he does deal with evil but his heart his for mercy.

That is something you must understnd about God -- his heart always leans towards mercy, forgiveness; his anger lasts for a moment only.

I'm rambling but I hope you get the jist of it. There's a lot more bcos this is a big topic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.