: D

Nov 12, 2015
south coast UK
✟7,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
not sure if this is the correct part of the forum or if I am going about it the right way due to not being around these parts for long.

I propose a debate with anyone who would like to support the case for an evolving brain,
flexibility on a "historical" starting point is fine with me,
as are both organic and psychological citations.

I would also propose a layman's description of evidence along side the offered evidence so as not to lose the casual observers interest or understanding.

finally due to the vastness and complexity of the subject I am happy to split between the organic and psychological areas (for example best of three on each and then best of three including both),
or a longer debate involving both areas (for example best of five).

this would make a hugely fascinating debate in my opinion,

(what happens now ?)

Dr GS Hurd

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
✟18,509.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Private
There are several reasons that I would not pursue your proposal. I'll review them as they might help you to focus your ideas.

The first issue that I see is that there is an open question of the idea, even the existence, of consciousness. Is there anything beyond "remembering that we remember?" This leads rather quickly to René Descartes "mind brain" duality.

Is that your topic?

If consciousness exists, which seems likely naively, what are the constraints on it. Is there free will?

Is that your topic?

Since we know that alterations, even mechanical alterations, of the brain alter perception and cognition, is there anything beyond a material "thinking machine?"

Is that your topic?

Language alters brain structure. Language is a historical accident. Language carries culture. Is that a historical accident?

Is that your topic?

And lastly, it is absurd to discuss this in "a layman's description of evidence along side the offered evidence" since I certainly do not propose to teach a graduate level course in K-12 language. Nor can I imagine starting with an undergraduate introduction.

Your question was interesting, but impractical for this setting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.