Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without the Resurrection, nothing else we believe really matters. Christ rising from the dead is the linchpin of our whole faith.

I’ll never forget celebrating Easter Sunday right before the tomb of Jesus, at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, about a dozen years ago.

According to traditions dating back to the 4th century, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre contains the site where Jesus was crucified, at a place known as Calvary or Golgotha, and Jesus’s empty tomb, where he was buried and resurrected.

As you can imagine, celebrating Easter there was an unforgettable experience. One of my favorite parts was the homily given by a kindly Franciscan priest, Father Fergus, one of the caretakers of the sacred site. He helped me see the importance of Christ’s resurrection in a totally new way.

What happened at that church is the most important event in history, he said. When God died and rose again, he destroyed the power of death and made all things new.

He reminded us of the words of Scripture: “And if Christ has not been raised, then empty is our preaching; empty, too, your faith… and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain.” (1 Cor 15-17)

It’s easy to forget how important this is: Without the Resurrection, nothing else we believe really matters. Christ rising from the dead is the linchpin of our whole faith.

The first Easter turned the world upside down​

Continued below.

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel