The Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoseofLima

What is it in Scripture that you find the hardest to live out, to put in action in your life?

And do you have any counsel for others to help them?

I think for me, I struggle deeply, being gentle...you know the whole "Let your gentleness be known to everyone"...thing. I'll start out okay oftentimes- but then get peeved when I get frustrated.

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You do far better in being gentle than I, Shannon. :)

Loving my enemies is the hardest. I have difficulty forgiving others who hurt me - not so much when they apologize or ask me for forgiveness (that has worked so far), but when they don't feel sorry. That is my biggest struggle. I'm afraid that I sometimes focus on other people's mistakes more than on my own - I mean, my hardness of heart lies in not forgiving them, while I should.

(And that other thing that makes me a cafetaria catholic - but that's not in Scripture. ;) - BTW it has a lot to do with the above - long story though.)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I find this one especially difficult:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." (St. Matthew 19:21. KJV)
LOL! God took care of that one for me :)

But seriously I have always wondered- do you think that means literally that we must not have any posessions- or rather that we are not to have an attatchment to our material things- like that we are ready to part with them if someone asks or if someone is in need??

I started several years ago (mostly out of financial reasons) giving away as gifts things that had the most meaning to me. Mostly just sentimental value- but that has really helped me to look at everything as just stuff. That and having freakin' toys everywhere.:mad:

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

Rosaoflima,

I know there have been Christians throughout the centuries who have taken this statement very literally. Consider the great monastics in the Church who have left all and remain without any personal possessions to speak of.

When I read this, I want to see it symbolically, but I feel like it's a literal injunction. I want to see it like it's meant only for someone who is single, or old, or whatever......but I feel like it's meant for all who follow Him.

Sometimes it drives me crazy.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To look at the poor, one on one with love and compassion an not distain.

that is difficult for me, too...
and (how obnoxious is this) it's true about really obese people, too.

I struggle with this too. I have no difficulty lending a hand to annonomous people I've never met - but I hessitate once I find out that they're - well - kinda gross. I know that's not how God sees them - gotta work on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RoseofLima

Rosaoflima,

I know there have been Christians throughout the centuries who have taken this statement very literally. Consider the great monastics in the Church who have left all and remain without any personal possessions to speak of.

When I read this, I want to see it symbolically, but I feel like it's a literal injunction. I want to see it like it's meant only for someone who is single, or old, or whatever......but I feel like it's meant for all who follow Him.

Sometimes it drives me crazy.
It drives me to mania when I think of "My yoke is easy and my burden light"...there ain't been nuthin' easy about my life- and I often feel crushed under it's weight.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟70,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did you immagine it would be about abstaining ala Seinfeld or a contest to see who could be the most monkey-like?
How many "My biggest issue with getting close to God is my sexuality" threads have we had to slog through ?

Go to it and have fun.

Especially if it gets your mind on yourself and on the poor, the sick and meek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's tough.I alway thought of myself and his good servant rather than his child.
One of the homilies by my favorite priest at my parish had a line something like:

"As Christians, we are fortunate to be children of God, whereas Muslims are slaves of God."

I don't fully agree with his interpretation of the word, but it's a point that is worth remembering, and apparently difficult to understand for others than just me.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It drives me to mania when I think of "My yoke is easy and my burden light"...there ain't been nuthin' easy about my life- and I often feel crushed under it's weight.

The Gospel today.:)

You know, I tend to agree with you, I have always struggled with this one because I feel like life is harder since having a conversion but the priest this morning was talking about it and he told this story about how when he was in novitiate, they had to work on a farm. The one guy's job was to bring in the eggs. For a long time they had been bringing them in by hand and the guy one day made a yoke and put a bucket of eggs on each end to bring in. Basically, the point was that with the yoke he was able to carry a burden he could not otherwise. Father was saying how in some ways Christ is the yoke allowing us to bear what we could not otherwise because He bears the weight of it. I don't know- it made a lot more sense when he was talking, I'm not doing a very good job explaining.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.