The canon

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a question and discussion thread, not a debate thread, I am sick of debate threads right now ;).

Why does the Roman Catholic Church have a limited Septuagint Canon? There are many books in the Septuagint that are rejected from the Roman Canon. I am curious why the argument is made that the Septuagint was the Bible of the early church (which it was), yet only portions of the canon are accepted.

I

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟477,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Septuagint is limited by the age of the documents.

Some books were considered spurious because the authors are unknown and were dated as 200 AD as a writing.

The earlier Church did not include them in the original canon, in the councils.

IF they did, there would not have been a question.
The Church keeps them however; as a side.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟139,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You mean that so-called "Apocrypha"?

Back in the BC days of Ptolemy, he wished that all the Hebrew Jewish texts be translated into Greek.

In the AD days, after Christianity began to spread, the Jewish elders took these books out of their texts. If I remember correctly, it may have had to do with the fact that they justified Christ's claims of being God. I don't remember.

The Orthodox has used the original Greek (so-called Apocrypha included) since the earliest days. Even today, when Bibles are translated into a new language (Swahili for example) the original Greek texts are still used.

Upvote 0