Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:1

αποκαλυψις ιησου χριστου ην εδωκεν αυτω ο θεος δειξαι τοις δουλοις αυτου α δει γενεσθαι εν ταχει και εσημανεν αποστειλας δια του αγγελου αυτου τω δουλω αυτου ιωαννη

Apocalypse Jesus Christ which given him the God showing the slave his which must happen in quickly and signifying sent via the messenger his the slave his John

The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ which God gave him showing his slaves the things which must happen quickly and signifying it. Sent via his messenger - his slave, John.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

αποκαλυψις ιησου χριστου ην εδωκεν αυτω ο θεος δειξαι τοις δουλοις αυτου α δει γενεσθαι εν ταχει και εσημανεν αποστειλας δια του αγγελου αυτου τω δουλω αυτου ιωαννη

Apocalypse Jesus Christ which given him the God showing the slave his which must happen in quickly and signifying sent via the messenger his the slave his John

The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ which God gave him showing his slave the things which must happen quickly and signifying it. Sent via his messenger - his slave, John.
Rev 1:1 αποκαλυψις ιησου χριστου ην εδωκεν αυτω ο θεος δειξαι τοις δουλοις αυτου α δει γενεσθαι εν ταχει και εσημανεν αποστειλας δια του αγγελου αυτου τω δουλω αυτου ιωαννη

Rev 1:1 The One who proclaims a calling of Jesus Christ was given to him by God, to indicate to his slaves to descry wherein to happen shortly; and he sent to signify it by means of his messenger to his slave John:

Reactions: Timothew
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rev 1:1 αποκαλυψις ιησου χριστου ην εδωκεν αυτω ο θεος δειξαι τοις δουλοις αυτου α δει γενεσθαι εν ταχει και εσημανεν αποστειλας δια του αγγελου αυτου τω δουλω αυτου ιωαννη

Rev 1:1 The One who proclaims a calling of Jesus Christ was given to him by God, to indicate to his slaves to descry wherein to happen shortly; and he sent to signify it by means of his messenger to his slave John:
:clap:

I missed the first plural "slaves".
When I read this, it seemed to me that the messenger was John himself. But not one translation agrees with this. I'm not afraid to disagree with everyone, but when I do I want to double-check my work. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:2

ος εμαρτυρησεν τον λογον του θεου και την μαρτυριαν ιησου χριστου οσα ειδεν

who witnessed the word the God and the witness Jesus Christ whatever he saw

who witnessed the word of God and the witness of Jesus Christ and recorded* all the things that he saw.

and recorded is not in the greek text.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ which God gave him showing his slaves the things which must happen quickly and signifying it. Sent via his messenger - his slave, John.

The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ which God gave him showing his servants the things which must happen quickly and signifying it. Sent via his messenger - his servant, John.

I like this a little better.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ which God gave him showing his servants the things which must happen quickly and signifying it. Sent via his messenger - his servant, John.

I like this a little better.
Hmmnnn...δουλοις noun: dative plural masculine

Okay sounds good
"by means of his messenger, his slave John:"

αγγελου The ending for the genitive singular form, -ου. This is given to help you identify the inflection pattern. Even within a single declension, there are various inflection patterns. Knowing the genitive singular ending is part of the key to knowing which pattern a particular word follows.
New Testament Greek: A Beginning and Intermediate Grammar

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:2

ος εμαρτυρησεν τον λογον του θεου και την μαρτυριαν ιησου χριστου οσα ειδεν

who witnessed the word the God and the witness Jesus Christ whatever he saw

who witnessed the word of God and the witness of Jesus Christ and recorded* all the things that he saw.

and recorded is not in the greek text.
Rev 1:2 ος εμαρτυρησεν τον λογον του θεου και την μαρτυριαν ιησου χριστου οσα ειδεν

Rev 1:2 Whom he testified of the word of God, and of the attestation of Jesus Christ, as many as he saw.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"as many as he saw" :thumbsup:

Revelation 1:3

μακαριος ο αναγινωσκων και οι ακουοντες τους λογους της προφητειας και τηρουντες τα εν αυτη γεγραμμενα ο γαρ καιρος εγγυς

fortunate the reader and the hearer the words the prophecy and keeps the-things in it written the for season near

The reader and the one who hears the words of the prophecy and keeps them are fortunate because the season is near.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"as many as he saw" :thumbsup:

Revelation 1:3

μακαριος ο αναγινωσκων και οι ακουοντες τους λογους της προφητειας και τηρουντες τα εν αυτη γεγραμμενα ο γαρ καιρος εγγυς

fortunate the reader and the hearer the words the prophecy and keeps the-things in it written the for season near

The reader and the one who hears the words of the prophecy and keeps them are fortunate because the season is near.
Rev 1:3 μακαριος ο αναγινωσκων και οι ακουοντες τους λογους της προφητειας και τηρουντες τα εν αυτη γεγραμμενα ο γαρ καιρος εγγυς

Rev 1:3 Blissful is he and to know again, the ones that hear the words of this prophecy, and keeping the eye upon those things in it to be put down in writing: for the time is near

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:4

ιωαννης ταις επτα εκκλησιαις ταις εν τη ασια χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη απο θεου ο ων και ο ην και ο ερχομενος και απο των επτα πνευματων α [εστιν] ενωπιον του θρονου αυτου

John the seven churches the in the Asia grace you and peace from God the is and the was and the coming and from the seven spirits which [are] before the throne his

John, To the seven churches in Asia. Grace to you and peace from God - Who is and who was and who is coming - And from the seven spirits which are before his throne,

To me, this feels like the beginning of the letter. Rev 1:1-3 may have been a title identifying the letter. But I'm not removing anything from this letter, I've read the warning label! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:4

ιωαννης ταις επτα εκκλησιαις ταις εν τη ασια χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη απο θεου ο ων και ο ην και ο ερχομενος και απο των επτα πνευματων α [εστιν] ενωπιον του θρονου αυτου

John the seven churches the in the Asia grace you and peace from God the is and the was and the coming and from the seven spirits which [are] before the throne his

John, To the seven churches in Asia. Grace to you and peace from God - Who is and who was and who is coming - And from the seven spirits which are before his throne.

To me, this feels like the beginning of the letter. Rev 1:1-3 may have been a title identifying the letter. But I'm not removing anything from this letter, I've read the warning label! :)
Rev 1:4 ιωαννης ταις επτα εκκλησιαις ταις εν τη ασια χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη απο ο ων και ο ην και ο ερχομενος και απο των επτα πνατων ενωπιον του θρονου αυτου

Rev 1:4
John to the seven ecclesias to those in Asia: Grace to you, and peace, from the one existing, and the one who was, and the one coming; and from the seven Spirits in the presence of his throne;

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:5

και απο ιησου χριστου ο μαρτυς ο πιστος ο πρωτοτοκος των νεκρων και ο αρχων των βασιλεων της γης τω αγαπωντι ημας και λουσαντι ημας απο των αμαρτιων ημων εν τω αιματι αυτου

and from Jesus Christ the witness the faithful the firstborn the dead and the ruler the kings the earth who loves us and frees us from the sin our in the blood his

and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, the ruler of the kings of the earth, who loves us and frees us from sin in his blood,

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:5

και απο ιησου χριστου ο μαρτυς ο πιστος ο πρωτοτοκος των νεκρων και ο αρχων των βασιλεων της γης τω αγαπωντι ημας και λουσαντι ημας απο των αμαρτιων ημων εν τω αιματι αυτου

and from Jesus Christ the witness the faithful the firstborn the dead and the ruler the kings the earth who loves us and frees us from the sin our in the blood his

and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, the ruler of the kings of the earth, who loves us and frees us from sin in his blood,
Rev 1:5 και απο ιησου χριστου ο μαρτυς ο πιστος ο πρωτοτοκος των νεκρων και ο αρχων των βασιλεων της γης τω αγαπωντι ημας και λυσαντι ημας εκ των αμαρτιων ημων εν τω αιματι αυτου

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, the faithful attestor, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the royal house of the earth, the one loving us, and who set us free from our sins by the blood of himself,

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:6

και εποιησεν ημας βασιλειαν ιερεις τω θεω και πατρι αυτου αυτω η δοξα και το κρατος εις τους αιωνας των αιωνων αμην

and makes us kingdom priests to God and Father his him the glory and the power in the age the ages amen

and makes us kingdom priests to God and his father. To him is the glory and the power in the age of the ages, Amen!

or

and makes us kingdom priests to God and his father. This is the glory and the power in the ages of the ages, Amen!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:6

και εποιησεν ημας βασιλειαν ιερεις τω θεω και πατρι αυτου αυτω η δοξα και το κρατος εις τους αιωνας των αιωνων αμην

and makes us kingdom priests to God and Father his him the glory and the power in the age the ages amen

and makes us kingdom priests to God and his father. To him is the glory and the power in the age of the ages, Amen!

or

and makes us kingdom priests to God and his father. This is the glory and the power in the ages of the ages, Amen!
Rev 1:6 και εποιησεν ημας βασιλειαν ιερεις τω θεω και πατρι αυτου αυτω η δοξα και το κρατος εις τους αιωνας των αιωνων αμην

Rev 1:6 And has made us to reign as priests for his God and the Father; to him be glory and to sway the scepter for the ages and forever. So be it.
(see Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:7

ιδου ερχεται μετα των νεφελων και οψεται αυτον πας οφθαλμος και οιτινες αυτον εξεκεντησαν και κοψονται επ αυτον πασαι αι φυλαι της γης ναι αμην

look he-comes with the clouds and it-will-see him every eye and those him pierced also cut-off from him all the tribes the land yes amen

Look! He comes with the clouds and every eye will see him and those who pierced him will also be cut off from him and from all the tribes of the earth. Yes! Amen!

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:7

ιδου ερχεται μετα των νεφελων και οψεται αυτον πας οφθαλμος και οιτινες αυτον εξεκεντησαν και κοψονται επ αυτον πασαι αι φυλαι της γης ναι αμην

look he-comes with the clouds and it-will-see him every eye and those him pierced also cut-off from him all the tribes the land yes amen

Look! He comes with the clouds and every eye will see him and those who pierced him will also be cut off from him and from all the tribes of the earth. Yes! Amen!
Rev 1:7 ιδου ερχεται μετα των νεφελων και οψεται αυτον πας οφθαλμος και οιτινες αυτον εξεκεντησαν και κοψονται επ αυτον πασαι αι φυλαι της γης ναι αμην

Rev 1:7 Lo, he cometh with the bright clouds; and all having eyes shall see his countenance, and everyone who [pricked out] stabbed him with a sharp object: and everyone of the tribes of the earth shall beat their breast through grief, because of him. Not only so, So be it.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:8

εγω ειμι το αλφα και το ω λεγει κυριος ο θεος ο ων και ο ην και ο ερχομενος ο παντοκρατωρ

I am the alpha and the Ω says lord the God the was and the is and the coming the ruler-of-all

"I am the Alpha and the Omega" says the Lord God, who was and who is and who is the returning ruler of everyone.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 1:9

εγω ιωαννης ο αδελφος υμων και κοινωνος εν τη θλιψει και βασιλεια και υπομονη εν χριστω ιησου εγενομην εν τη νησω τη καλουμενη πατμω δια τον λογον του θεου και δια την μαρτυριαν ιησου χριστου

I John the brother your and partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perserverance in Christ Jesus became in the island the called Patmo through the word the God and through the witness Jesus Christ

I, John - Your brother and partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance in Christ Jesus - was put on the Island which is called Patmos because of the word of God and the witness of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0