Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you only watch movies made by Hollywood, you're severely limiting yourself. Countries around the world have been producing films worth watching—from ambitious blockbusters to quiet indies—since the advent of cinema itself. If you want to broaden your movie-watching horizons and are looking for a good place to start, try this map of the top-rated pieces of cinema from each country.

The product review website Rave Reviews looked at user-generated ratings from IMDb when putting together the graphic below. According to IMDb, the top-rated movie from the U.S. is The Shawshank Redemption(1994), with a rating of 9.3 out of 10. The prison drama also claims the top spot on IMDb's overall list of the 250 best films.

The 2018 film Admiral from Mongolia actually boasts a higher rating at 9.8, but because that number was voted on by fewer users, it ranks lower in IMDb's system. A movie needs to have at least 25,000 user ratings to qualify for the list. Other top-rated movies on the map include The Intouchables (2011) from France, Parasite (2019) from South Korea, and A Man Called Ahok (2018) from Indonesia.

Continued below.
The Best Movies From Every Country, Mapped

Reactions: MorkandMindy

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you only watch movies made by Hollywood, you're severely limiting yourself. Countries around the world have been producing films worth watching—from ambitious blockbusters to quiet indies—since the advent of cinema itself. If you want to broaden your movie-watching horizons and are looking for a good place to start, try this map of the top-rated pieces of cinema from each country.

The product review website Rave Reviews looked at user-generated ratings from IMDb when putting together the graphic below. According to IMDb, the top-rated movie from the U.S. is The Shawshank Redemption(1994), with a rating of 9.3 out of 10. The prison drama also claims the top spot on IMDb's overall list of the 250 best films.

The 2018 film Admiral from Mongolia actually boasts a higher rating at 9.8, but because that number was voted on by fewer users, it ranks lower in IMDb's system. A movie needs to have at least 25,000 user ratings to qualify for the list. Other top-rated movies on the map include The Intouchables (2011) from France, Parasite (2019) from South Korea, and A Man Called Ahok (2018) from Indonesia.

Continued below.
The Best Movies From Every Country, Mapped

Film & Culture is a fascinating area of study, and a map like this would be a great resource.

I love The Shawshank Redemption, but I don't know if I would say that's the U.S.'s greatest movie ... though IMDB is a popularity contest, so I get it. The same for In the Mood for Love, a very good movie but I think China has done better. District 9, another awesome movie. Saying The Lord of the Rings is a New Zealand production is a little misleading. That's a Hollywood movie through and through; the Oscars ran it in the main categories, not as a foreign film.

I wouldn't say I watch a lot of foreign film, but probably more than the average guy, so now I have some new ones for my list. Thanks.

Upvote 0