To restore and build Jerusalem
Until Messiah the Prince,
There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;
The street shall be built again, and the wall,
Even in troublesome times.

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks
Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;
And the people of the prince who is to come
Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
The end of it shall be with a flood,

And till the end of the war desolations are determined.

27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate,
Even until the consummation, which is determined,
Is poured out on the desolate."
69 weeks (literally 69 sevens) is the time given for this prophecy from the order to rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince.

Nehemiah 2:1-8 establishes the date that the order was given to rebuild Jerusalem
1 And it came to pass in the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was before him, that I took the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had never been sad in his presence before. 2 Therefore the king said to me, "Why is your face sad, since you are not sick? This is nothing but sorrow of heart."

So I became dreadfully afraid, 3 and said to the king, "May the king live forever! Why should my face not be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' tombs, lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire?"

4 Then the king said to me, "What do you request?"

So I prayed to the God of heaven. 5 And I said to the king, "If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers' tombs, that I may rebuild it."

6 Then the king said to me (the queen also sitting beside him), "How long will your journey be? And when will you return?" So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time.

7 Furthermore I said to the king, "If it pleases the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of the region beyond the River, that they must permit me to pass through till I come to Judah, 8 and a letter to Asaph the keeper of the king's forest, that he must give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel which pertains to the temple, for the city wall, and for the house that I will occupy." And the king granted them to me according to the good hand of my God upon me.
Artaxerxes Longimanus (the only Artaxerxes who ruled long enough to fit Nehemiah's description) ruled from 465-425 BC, thus his twentieth year was in 444 BC.

465 - 20 = 444

This makes the year 444 BC.

69 X 7 = 483

483 years brings us to the month of Nissan, 33 AD

This was when the Prince did indeed arrive in Jerusalem just as the prophet Daniel had been told by the angel Gabriel. That day was the 10th of Nissan, 33AD...

The Triumphal Entry

The day that Jesus entered Jerusalem to fulfill the prophecy of Daniel was the 10th of Nissan in 33AD, the same day that the High Priest would select lamb for the Passover sacrifice in the Temple.
Matthew 21:1-11
1 Now when they drew near Jerusalem, and came to Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Loose them and bring them to Me. 3 And if anyone says anything to you, you shall say, 'The Lord has need of them,' and immediately he will send them."

4 All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:

5 "Tell the daughter of Zion,
'Behold, your King is coming to you,
Lowly, and sitting on a donkey,
A colt, the foal of a donkey.'"

6 So the disciples went and did as Jesus commanded them. 7 They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them. 8 And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them9 Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: on the road.

"Hosanna to the Son of David!
'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!'
Hosanna in the highest!"

10 And when He had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, "Who is this?"
11 So the multitudes said, "This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee."
The Crucifixion

Jesus was crucified on the 1st day of Passover on the 14th of Nissan, 33AD.

What is Pesach?

Passover/Pesach (Nisan 14) celebrates the deliverance of the slaves from Egypt. It is the story of redemption by the killing of the Passover Lamb. The Israelites obeyed God by applying the blood of the Passover lamb to the doorposts of their houses so that their firstborn would be spared the Tenth Curse against Pharoah who refused to let God's enslaved Chosen People leave Egypt. When the Angel of Death passed through the land and saw the blood, he "passed over" those houses and spared the first born (Exodus 12:1-13). This was a picture of Yeshua, God's "Passover Lamb" Who willingly allowed His own blood to be shed on our behalf and thus became our redemption. The Messiah fulfilled this holiday when he was crucified! He took our bitterness so that we might live the abundant life. We remember and identify with the bitterness of slavery by eating the bitter herbs and the matza (unleavened bread) on Passover. The innocent died for the guilty. Sacrifice not only means death - it also means LIFE (Isaiah 53.)
Note: A day in Jewish time is from sunset to sunset. The events leading to the crucifixion of Jesus begin with the Passover meal on the 14th of Nissan, and continue through the night and into the next day as we would reckon time. However, this is not how the writers of the biblical accounts in the New Testament understood or told time.
The Burial

Feast of the Unleavened Bread is celebrated on the next day (15th Nissan) and for 7 days after Pesach.

Matzah is bread made without leaven.

It is a picture of sanctification, as Jesus (Yeshua) was buried.

Leaven is representative of sin, and corruption (Mat.16:11-12, 1Cor.5:5-8, Gal.5:7-9).

Jesus paid for all our sins, He cleansed out the old leaven...Sin!. (1Cor.5:7-8, Gal.5:9).

The unleavened bread is a type of the sinless Christ (2Cor.5:21, 1Pet.2:22, 1Jn.3:5).

The Resurrection

Firstfruits was a Jewish feast held in the early spring at the beginning of the cereal grain harvest. It was observed on Nissan 16, which was the third day after Passover and the second day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Firstfruits was a time of thanksgiving for God’s provision.

Lev 23:9-14, Matt 12:40, John 12:24

The Birth of the Church

The Feast of Weeks (Exodus 34:22; Numbers 28:26-31; Leviticus 23:15-21) is the second of the three major Jewish festivals (the other two are Passover and the Feast of Tabernacles). All adult males were required to travel to the sanctuary to take part. This festival was observed 7 weeks from the second day of Passover, on which was the offering of barley sheaf, hence the name of the festival. It is also known as Pentecost (Pentecost is Greek for 50 days), because it falls on the 50th day (7 weeks is 49 days so the day after is the 50th).

The Feast of Weeks was observed after the Israel people settled in the Promised Land. On this day, no work was permitted. The people would gather at the Tabernacle to thank God for the harvest. It marked the time when the first fruits of the wheat harvest were gathered and offered to the Lord, and was also known as the Feast of the Ingathering. It also commemorated the giving of the Law at Mount Sinai.
Acts 2:1-39

1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
The Crowd's Response
5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs--we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God." 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "Whatever could this mean?"
13 Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."
Peter's Sermon
(Joel 2:28-32)
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.'

22 "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know-- 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; 24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it. 25 For David says concerning Him:

'I foresaw the Lord always before my face,
For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad;
Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.
27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
28 You have made known to me the ways of life;
You will make me full of joy in Your presence.'

29 "Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne, 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
34 "For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:

'The Lord said to my Lord,
"Sit at My right hand,
35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool."'

36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"
38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
Compare to Joel 2:28-32

The Lunar Eclipse of 33AD

A lunar eclipse did occur on April 3, 33 CE, the day proposed for the crucifixion of Jesus. However, until recently the eclipse had been calculated to have been finished by the time the moon rose at Jerusalem. With revised computer dating it has now been calculated that a partial lunar eclipse was briefly visible at moon rise on that Friday in 33 CE. The eclipse began at 3:40 PM and reached a maximum of 60% coverage by 5:15 PM. The moon was below the horizon at Jerusalem until about 6:20 PM. At moon rise about 20% of the eclipse remained, possibly to appear as red in the eclipse area. The remaining eclipse was finished a half hour later, by 6:50 PM. This is suggested as the fulfillment of Joel's prophecy right on schedule and right on time!

God's Appointed Time for Messiah the Prince

As you can see the triumphal entry, crucifixion, burial, and resurrection of Jesus was done in real time according to the spring feasts of the Jewish calendar. Jesus became the Passover lamb and a New Covenant was established with mankind. 50 days later on the next feast on the Jewish calendar was the Feast of Weeks, we call this day the Day of Pentecost, and also the the day that the church was born.

These were God's appointed times to reveal His son according to the prophets of Israel. However, as time went on and the Holy Spirit fell on the gentile believers some 12 years later, it became quite clear that the attachment that the early church felt to Judaism was a passing phase. With the destruction of the temple in 70 AD and the persecution of Jews intensified, the church drifted farther from it's Jewish roots and began to come into it's own apart from Judaism.

It is important to know this chain of events as a witness to Jesus Christ, demonstrating to all who ask the reason we believe that He was indeed Messiah the Prince, the son of God, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is likewise important not to take this as a signal to return to being keepers of the law, as this would be taking three steps backwards. Jesus came to fulfill the law, and indeed He did!

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
Firstfruits was a Jewish feast held in the early spring at the beginning of the cereal grain harvest. It was observed on Nissan 16, which was the third day after Passover and the second day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Firstfruits/WaveSheaf was a time of thanksgiving for God’s provision.
The day following the sabbath during The Feasts of Unleaven Bread is called the Feast of First Fruits (Leviticus 23:10-14). Notice that it is not given a date like Nissan 14 or 15 were given for the Passover or The Feast of Unleaven Bread... but just given the day after the sabbath.. or better known as the first day of the week... Yet is also one of the few times that sunday is called the sabbath in any given year. The other annual feast that will always fall on the first day of the week and be called the sabbath is Pentecost.

Leviticus 23:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest: 11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
The nation of Israel was familiar with the concept of first fruits or the firstborn. The first fruits were always the choicest, the foremost, the first, the best, the preeminent of all that was to follow. They were holy to the Lord. The concept of first fruits or firstborn is a major theme in the Bible. This can be seen by the following Scriptures:

Exodus 34:26,
Leviticus 23:20,
Numbers 18:12-15,
Deuteronomy 18:1-5, 26:2-4, and
Proverbs 3:9.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
Sabbath was defined as the first natural Sabbath that fell during the seven day festivities of Passover and Unleavened Bread (Passover plus Unleavened Bread would equal either 7 or 8 days depending upon your interpretation - so it had to include at least one sabbath either way).

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
The appointed time is important. God laid out his appointed time in Lev 23. It is the foundation. Good foundations are what make a good structure. It is good historical Jesus research, because it is the foundation He created for us and is the "shadow of things to come" and the "body of Christ"

Upvote 0