Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read the first book of the trilogy a few years ago and now it is on Netflix. I love when that happens. Bur several deviations. Nevertheless, it ia a fascinating movies in 9 parts, I think. Do we need aliens to save our earth? But what if they cannot tolerate our lying? So Now I may have to read the 2nd book of the trilogy,

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟144,962.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's a good thing I finished the series or I would have been a bit irritated by the massive spoilers in the OP. You don't find out what it is all about for a while! Did you want to just recommend the vibe of the thing instead of including those major plot lines? You might wreck the experience of it for some. Anyway, this is my teaser review:-

Why are the world's most bleeding-edge scientists committing suicide? Why are they saying the particle colliders are generating gibberish - that 'physics is broken'? Clever, intriguing, and sometimes downright existential - the "Three Body Problem" is one of the best Sci-Fi series in a decade! They generated a few moments of almost numinous awe that I have not felt in a while. Sci-Fi just got 'big' again. Wow!

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The original books are good, read several times (ok, jumping over some not so interesting passages as almost everybody does).

However, the Netflix series is terrible, I did not like it. Totally different environment (England), vulgarisms every few minutes, stupidity of some roles (probably supposed to be funny for the "western" audience, not sure). I watched like one hour in sum and closed it. Totally different feeling and style from the Asian/Chinese books.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you want to just recommend the vibe of the thing instead of including those major plot lines? You might wreck the experience of it for some. Anyway, this is my teaser review:-
Aliens saving the Earth? Find out we lie? Hardly spoilers. Trophy has a good point about the environment feeling and style. But I found all the Chinese names in the book difficult to remember the characters. I went to the book to try and follow but characters were not only renamed but also merged in some cases. But the visualizations helped me. Reading the book I had a hard time visualizing.

Just curious but do you guys prefer digital to hard copy? I often do both. Read on the pad at the treadmill but in the books at home in an easy chair.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just curious but do you guys prefer digital to hard copy? I often do both. Read on the pad at the treadmill but in the books at home in an easy chair.
Generally, I like hard copy more, I grew up with hard copy books. However, I had more and more books and because I moved several times, it became a burden. So now I go with like 30 of hard copy books I value the most and I have e-reader for the rest, mostly new buys.

The night mode (without blue light) is also a good thing with e-reader for reading before sleep. It can be read without lights on, so it does not disrupt circadian rhythm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟144,962.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Aliens saving the Earth? Find out we lie? Hardly spoilers. Trophy has a good point about the environment feeling and style. But I found all the Chinese names in the book difficult to remember the characters. I went to the book to try and follow but characters were not only renamed but also merged in some cases. But the visualizations helped me. Reading the book I had a hard time visualizing.

You don't find out they are aliens until the second episode - and the liars thing is over half way through the series.

Upvote 0