United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was referring to this ^
Sometimes evil people will take what they want and what are we to do then, if we're to follow Christ's example?

Oh okay - I had more the wino who is asking for booze but needed food in mind when I wrote that.

I tend to think in terms of experiences most people are more likely to encounter today and determine how best God would expect us to react.

I've been disabled for 20+ years so have had many the financial challenges since.

I used to live in such a safe area that I never needed to lock my doors when I left the house, and could leave my car keys in the ignition without having my car stolen at the grocery store.

Once my daughter had wanted a musical instrument to learn how to play - so I saved forever it seemed. I stuck my little extra 5 dollars here, 10 dollars there under the mattress until I finally had enough money to buy that for her, along with some lessons. She was just a child at the time, about 11 years old I think.

It was a huge thing, this instrument. 2 weeks later it was stolen out of my home when I wasn't there. I actually cried because it was irreplaceable to me.

Not only that, but I knew the person who took it.

I believe I did the right thing at the time, though I wasn't saved then

But this is the type of thing we are likely to run into.

I do know I would handle the situation a little different today as a saved Christian. Back then I didn't do anything, I didn't call the police or press charge or anything), and found it in my heart to forgive - though it took time.

With the whole WWJD aspect, I think today I would reach out and ask if I could help them with some need they had that I didn't know about.. as well as likely mention the theft itself and forgive them verbally for it as well as the heart forgiveness. Why? Because all that is love.

Even disabled there were things I could have done to help, including offering to enlist myself with my kids' help to babysit free for a month or so while they played financial catch up.

I couldn't have done it long physically even with the help of my own kids, but for a short time it might have helped more than just ignoring the theft.

This I think is what Jesus means when He says if they ask for your shirt give them your coat too. Because they might really be hurting, and it's a rare opportunity to show Christ.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟701,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As for your comments about westerners, I understand there are more "comforts" than elsewhere in the world, but to say individuals can't suffer persecution because they're from the west is presumptuous. Some people do experience some terrible things no matter their place in the world or walk in life

I was born and raised in the US (though my parents immigrated here)

I do know that persecution can happen here, but it's not some daily occurrence or even widespread in the strict sense.

Here, inside the US, I moved in order to make sure I wasn't killed - yes killed even here.

I already had a name for myself prior to conversation for being outspoken publicly against certain things within my own community, as well as for certain actions I took that weren't looked upon kindly.

I had so much personal interaction with local Islamic extremists here in the US, that the second my husband and I married he took me away from there to protect me.

So yes... I am not making claims that are out of touch somehow with the reality on the ground here.

What I'm saying, is that most people here have never faced anything close to real persecution. Let alone have to face it every single day.

I moved, only telling the 2 people I trusted the most (my kids) as to where and any problem was averted.. I live perfectly free, attend church, and don't worry about who knows my name around here (though I don't run around giving too much away as to my actual identity online - not going to invite trouble).

Hope this helps you understand me better.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hope this helps you understand me better.
I did understand, and I understand there are definitely some people that endure persecution a lot more than others, but there are individuals who come against persecution in different ways as well. But yes, the majority of people in the West have not had to experience such things.

I'm glad you're settled and don't worry about your past - God has got you now :oldthumbsup:

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟701,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I did understand, and I understand there are definitely some people that endure persecution a lot more than others, but there are individuals who come against persecution in different ways as well. But yes, the majority of people in the West have not had to experience such things.

I'm glad you're settled and don't worry about your past - God has got you now :oldthumbsup:

God's not done I don't figure. He's never content letting His people sit in the corner and just be safe.

It's the whole burying your treasure thing...

He's just giving me time to learn and grow before I go and see what the lions are doing. Lol

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's not done I don't figure. He's never content letting His people sit in the corner and just be safe.

It's the whole burying your treasure thing...

He's just giving me time to learn and grow before I go and see what the lions are doing. Lol
Lol I second that! :oldthumbsup:

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟701,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lol I second that! :oldthumbsup:

On a personal note - I'm loosing my eyesight and am still a couple months away from eye surgery so if I click the wrong emoticon in the like bar you'll have to forgive me, it's never intentional - just have a hard time seeing those little buggers on my phone.. lol

• Prayers
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟286,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So, since I've seen you around and saying different things about scripture... do you think humans can follow God's law on their own? And what else do you think God wants when it comes to obedience?

What exactly do you mean by saying different things about Scripture?

Following any set of instructions is relying on the person who gave them to us to rightly guide us, so following God's law on our own is an oxymoron. For example, if I were lost and asked someone for directions, then by following exactly what they instructed, I would be relying on them to save me from being lost, and thinking that I was acting on my own to save myself from being lost would not be giving credit where it is due. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so to obediently rely on the law that god has instructed for salvation is the way to rely on God for salvation and thinking that our obedience to what God has instructed is acting on own is not giving credit where it is due.

What God wants when it comes to our obedience is for us to express, experience, love, believe in, and testify about His nature. For example, by doing good works, we are testifying about God's goodness, which is why they give glory to Him (Matthew 5:13-16)

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What exactly do you mean by saying different things about Scripture?
Don't you believe we're still under the dietary law? Nevermind. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.. I agree, we need the Holy Spirit to follow the law adequately.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Q: Have I loved the Lord my God with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my mind.?
A: No
Q: Do I love my neighbor as myself?
A: No
The ONLY solution for me is Romans 7:21-25
Good answer! It's only by His Spirit alone we can do all things. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟286,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Don't you believe we're still under the dietary law? Nevermind. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.. I agree, we need the Holy Spirit to follow the law adequately.
Sorry, it sounded like you were saying that I was being inconsistent about what I said about Scripture. Yes, God is sovereign, so we are all still under His law.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟286,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
it clearly says we can eat what we like.
Even if "thus he declared all foods clean" were a correct translation, it still wouldn't mean that we can what we like. The things that count as food vary from culture to culture, such as people one culture considering monkey brains to be food while people in another culture would be disgusted by the thought of eating them as food. Likewise, eating things like bats, rats, snakes, and vultures is not what comes to most people's minds when they think about eating food. A cannibal should not interpret Mark 7:19 as saying that human flesh is good to eat. When you have one Jew speaking to other Jews about food, then you should consider them to be speaking about the things that they consider to be food rather than insert the things that you consider to be food. What Jews consider to be food are the things that God said are food in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. Jews did not even raise pigs, so the thought of eating pork would have never even crossed their minds, especially because it had nothing to do with the topic that Jesus was discussing. Again, in Matthew 15:20, Jesus spoke against being made common by eating with unwashed hands, so he was speaking in regard to a tradition of the elders and never jumped topics to speaking against obeying God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if "thus he declared all foods clean" were a correct translation, it still wouldn't mean that we can what we like. The things that count as food vary from culture to culture, such as people one culture considering monkey brains to be food while people in another culture would be disgusted by the thought of eating them as food. Likewise, eating things like bats, rats, snakes, and vultures is not what comes to most people's minds when they think about eating food. A cannibal should not interpret Mark 7:19 as saying that human flesh is good to eat. When you have one Jew speaking to other Jews about food, then you should consider them to be speaking about the things that they consider to be food rather than insert the things that you consider to be food. What Jews consider to be food are the things that God said are food in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. Jews did not even raise pigs, so the thought of eating pork would have never even crossed their minds, especially because it had nothing to do with the topic that Jesus was discussing. Again, in Matthew 15:20, Jesus spoke against being made common by eating with unwashed hands, so he was speaking in regard to a tradition of the elders and never jumped topics to speaking against obeying God.
we're discussing what the LORD said in the NT which is that all foods are CLEAN,
he go's on later to tell Peter NOT to call what he has made clean unclean
“Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
That covers not only people but foods?
Peter Being a jew Refused to eat,
Because he had known those foods to have been unclean his entire life?
gentiles on the other hand didn't have those 'laws'
So they weren't applied to the teachings the gentiles received?
because they were the OLD covenant?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said it was not something you eat that defiles you, but what comes from the inside "heart". Most people would not eat what you mentioned and I believe once we have the holy spirit, we will be guided in this way like everything else. I'm not a fan of pork personally, but I do eat bacon on occasion (although I find it too salty and am not a huge fan of the taste). The Lord has not convicted me about it once.

Colossians 2:16-17

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17 For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said it was not something you eat that defiles you, but what comes from the inside "heart". Most people would not eat what you mentioned and I believe once we have the holy spirit, we will be guided in this way like everything else. I'm not a fan of pork personally, but I do eat bacon on occasion (although I find it too salty and am not a huge fan of the taste). The Lord has not convicted me about it once.

Colossians 2:16-17

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17 For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality.
I'm not a fan of pork either lol,
I can eat ham but only when i don't have turkey lol
and "ham" is the only "pork" that I can eat that i'm aware of but who knows anymore what kind of meats we eat :scratch:

Upvote 0