New Jersey
✟338,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you to all the priests who provide Holy Week services for us. It's a lot of work, night after night, and I want you to know how much it's appreciated. :purpleheart:
easter_eve_liturgy.jpg

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, PloverWing. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the post.

I have to say, this year was "interesting;" I ended up with a big parish funeral on the Wednesday of Holy Week, and another on Easter Tuesday. And it really has been lovely the way the parish has come together to support those families, each other, and me, over what would have already been a big week but went up to a whole other level. This ministry thing, done well, is really a team sport...

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have to say, this year was "interesting;" I ended up with a big parish funeral on the Wednesday of Holy Week, and another on Easter Tuesday. And it really has been lovely the way the parish has come together to support those families, each other, and me, over what would have already been a big week but went up to a whole other level. This ministry thing, done well, is really a team sport...

Two funerals, so close to Easter. That's really hard. I'm glad your parish was able to come together like that.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟573,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't do many funerals even though most of the churches are full of old people. So many families are foregoing the service or opting for a "celebration of life" now. If I turn on the midday news show, when they run the local obituaries less than half are having any gathering. My colleague in Michigan works for a hospice service and is noticing a comparable trend.

I had a congregant go Tuesday night and the family never even called. When the funeral home published the pertinent arrangements, a celebration of life had been planned.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I average about one funeral a month. Some of those are parishioners; a good many are not, but there's enough memory of church for the family to choose a church funeral. Some of the families insist on calling the service a "celebration of life," but they still get the funeral service from the prayer book!

But yes, I am also seeing a growing trend of avoiding any sort of gathering at all. I'm not a fan; I think it's an important part of the process of grieving, to be able to gather, mourn and honour the person, share memories and so on, whether you do that in a religious way or not.

Upvote 0