✟974,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the simple answer! :)

IOW, all Episcopalians are Anglicans, not all Anglicans are Episcopalians?

Yes. But if one wants to make it even more confusing, not all who call themselves Anglicans are members of the Anglican Communion.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. But if one wants to make it even more confusing, not all who call themselves Anglicans are members of the Anglican Communion.
Yes! I am aware of some independent sects. Like the ACNA, or the Charismatic Episcopal Church etc

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟422,322.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟255,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The list of Church in the Communion as Anglicans can be found here

The list of Churches - not traditionally Anglican but in communion with the see of Canterbury can be found here.

The list of Church - traditionally Anglican but not in communion with the see of Canterbury can be found here

Thank you

Upvote 0
Dec 15, 2022
Grantham
✟25,509.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In origin, "Anglican" is just a brief nickname for members of the Church of England. "Episcopalian" came into use as a substitute name for branches of the tradition outside England itself. Partly, I think, because of the historical experience of Scotland, where kings tried to re-impose bishops on the Kirk, until the demise of the Stuarts meant that they could be thrown off. Those Scots who defiantly adhered to the surviving line of bishops naturally called themselves Episcopalians.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The churches most familiar to me that use "Episcopal" rather than "Anglican" in their names are the US and Scotland. In both cases, there were times in our history where we and England were mad at each other, and choosing a name other than "Anglican" gives a little distance from England. (Here in the US, we've long since made peace with England, though we never joined the Commonwealth. I'll let the Scots answer for themselves. :) )

As to the original question: "Anglican" is the name for the broad theological / ecclesiastical tradition coming out of the English Reformation, so the Episcopal Church is part of this. If you'd asked me 30 years ago, I would have used the terms "Episcopalian" and "Anglican" roughly interchangeably, and that's still correct wording. More recently, though, in the US the term "Anglican" tends to be heard as referring to the ACNA and similar bodies. With that in mind, I now use the label "Episcopalian" most of the time, to clarify my views on a collection of theological issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The churches most familiar to me that use "Episcopal" rather than "Anglican" in their names are the US and Scotland. In both cases, there were times in our history where we and England were mad at each other, and choosing a name other than "Anglican" gives a little distance from England. (Here in the US, we've long since made peace with England, though we never joined the Commonwealth. I'll let the Scots answer for themselves. :) )

As to the original question: "Anglican" is the name for the broad theological / ecclesiastical tradition coming out of the English Reformation, so the Episcopal Church is part of this. If you'd asked me 30 years ago, I would have used the terms "Episcopalian" and "Anglican" roughly interchangeably, and that's still correct wording. More recently, though, in the US the term "Anglican" tends to be heard as referring to the ACNA and similar bodies. With that in mind, I now use the label "Episcopalian" most of the time, to clarify my views on a collection of theological issues.
And I actually use Anglican more I think because I want to be clear that the Episcopal Church is the "official" Anglican presence in the US.

Upvote 0