✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

A volunteer where I work, as Deputy Manager, told me this Thursday that their ex partner's Mum, their children's Nan, has quite unexpectedly just been diagnosed with an illness and is, incredibly sadly, expected to live for around just one more week. I have been praying for a miracle around this and for comfort for the women, but also for her salvation. I have no idea whether she is a Christian and hope that she is, but as I want her to know Jesus, I wondered what others would do in this situation? She is obviously a stranger to myself, but I wondered if there is anything I could say to the volunteer which could help. Perhaps dropping her a message to let them know that the women has been on my mind and asking them whether they know if she is a Christian, as I feel it could help her in her circumstance, giving her comfort and strength. (The volunteer is an agnostic, I remember her telling me in the past).

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,

A volunteer where I work, as Deputy Manager, told me this Thursday that their ex partner's Mum, her children's Nan, has quite unexpectedly just been diagnosed with an illness and is, incredibly sadly, expected to live for around just one more week. I have been praying for a miracle around this and for comfort for the women, but also for her salvation. I have no idea whether she is a Christian and hope that she is, but as I want her to know Jesus, I wondered what others would do in this situation? She is obviously a stranger to myself, but I wondered if there is anything I could say to the volunteer which could help. Perhaps dropping her a message to let them know that the women has been on my mind and asking them whether they know if she is a Christian, as I feel it could help her in her circumstance, giving her comfort and strength. (The volunteer is an agnostic, I remember her telling me in the past).

Thank you so much!
In my line of work, I quite often talk with people who have either received that bad news or are calling for someone who has. I try to tell them that we are all going to die, sooner or later, and that dying is not the worse thing in the world. And I encourage them, with whatever time they have left on this earth, to come to know Jesus and do all in their power to be right with Him, so that come Judgment Day, when they stand before the GREAT JUDGE, they will be ready to meet Him. I encourage them to not worry and to do all in their power to eat healthy and have a healthy lifestyle...and take some really good supplements for whatever their problem is.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,769,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,

A volunteer where I work, as Deputy Manager, told me this Thursday that their ex partner's Mum, her children's Nan, has quite unexpectedly just been diagnosed with an illness and is, incredibly sadly, expected to live for around just one more week. I have been praying for a miracle around this and for comfort for the women, but also for her salvation. I have no idea whether she is a Christian and hope that she is, but as I want her to know Jesus, I wondered what others would do in this situation? She is obviously a stranger to myself, but I wondered if there is anything I could say to the volunteer which could help. Perhaps dropping her a message to let them know that the women has been on my mind and asking them whether they know if she is a Christian, as I feel it could help her in her circumstance, giving her comfort and strength. (The volunteer is an agnostic, I remember her telling me in the past).

Thank you so much!
This is a good place for prayer request if you want to post there as well.
Prayer Wall

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟930,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Thank you so much!

I would say I am praying for her -- if the person you are talking to knows you are Christian they probably expect you would do that

Reactions: JW876
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟256,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you can send them a letter saying.

That to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life, believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Old Testament (Tanakh) and trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Hi all,

A volunteer where I work, as Deputy Manager, told me this Thursday that their ex partner's Mum, their children's Nan, has quite unexpectedly just been diagnosed with an illness and is, incredibly sadly, expected to live for around just one more week. I have been praying for a miracle around this and for comfort for the women, but also for her salvation. I have no idea whether she is a Christian and hope that she is, but as I want her to know Jesus, I wondered what others would do in this situation? She is obviously a stranger to myself, but I wondered if there is anything I could say to the volunteer which could help. Perhaps dropping her a message to let them know that the women has been on my mind and asking them whether they know if she is a Christian, as I feel it could help her in her circumstance, giving her comfort and strength. (The volunteer is an agnostic, I remember her telling me in the past).

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say I am praying for her -- if the person you are talking to knows you are Christian they probably expect you would do that

Hi Bob, thanks so much. Sorry yes I did say this to the volunteer when the told me, although quite quietly so there is a chance they may not have heard.

Upvote 0

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my line of work, I quite often talk with people who have either received that bad news or are calling for someone who has. I try to tell them that we are all going to die, sooner or later, and that dying is not the worse thing in the world. And I encourage them, with whatever time they have left on this earth, to come to know Jesus and do all in their power to be right with Him, so that come Judgment Day, when they stand before the GREAT JUDGE, they will be ready to meet Him. I encourage them to not worry and to do all in their power to eat healthy and have a healthy lifestyle...and take some really good supplements for whatever their problem is.

Hi, thank you for this :) I appreciate it. That sounds the perfect thing to say. I admire you for working in a field where it is common for you to work with people who receive bad news like this. As I am not in touch with the women, I can't really have a similar conversation with her myself. Perhaps I could say something to the volunteer to reassure them themselves, prompt them to think about this and possibly open up a conversation with the women. They did not seem to be seeking for support when they mentioned the news to me however. They just mentioned it as a general update when I asked how they are and admitted they do not actually get on well with the her unfortunately. I will have a think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Lord prioritizes our salvation, so I'd mostly focus on that when praying for someone in a similar position. Also depending on their attitude, they may or may not be healed. Eitherway the the Lord's Sovereign will is always achieved in the end.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord prioritizes our salvation, so I'd mostly focus on that when praying for someone in a similar position. Also depending on their attitude, they may or may not be healed. Eitherway the the Lord's Sovereign will is always achieved in the end.

Ok thank you, that's really encouraging. Although sorry, when you say about mostly focusing on that when praying, do you mean focusing on praying around this rather than saying/doing anything so much, sending a letter for instance? Or just when praying, focusing on this? I hope that makes sense!

Upvote 0

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you can send them a letter saying.

That to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life, believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Old Testament (Tanakh) and trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I ended up asking the volunteer over text if she would be happy to give her a card from myself, so I could perhaps offer her even just a small amount of comfort. She responded saying she (her ex's Mum) lives very far away. I offered to pop on a stamp if she would be happy to add the address and post it for me, to which she said not to worry as sadly she can't read or identify anyone anymore so really wouldn't be aware. I still feel she may value having a card read to her, but it is difficult knowing what to say back to the Volunteer.

I had decided to keep the wording of the card very simple but include a leaflet with encouraging Bible verses inside, so wondered about gently mentioning this to the Volunteer now to highlight my desire for her ex's Mum to receive it, for the comfort the words could bring. Her responses to me have been very brief but kind, but as it still a sensitive issue, (even though she had mentioned to me she did not get on well with her ex's Mum herself), I am unsure (about whether to say any more to encourage her to send it to her). Part of me feels I should give the matter to God, through praying and trusting, then another feels I should be willing to face any discomfort that pushing more could cause myself or the Volunteer, in my concern for her to hear the gospel. Apologies for the long reply!

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟256,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I ended up asking the volunteer over text if she would be happy to give her a card from myself, so I could perhaps offer her even just a small amount of comfort. She responded saying she (her ex's Mum) lives very far away. I offered to pop on a stamp if she would be happy to add the address and post it for me, to which she said not to worry as sadly she can't read or identify anyone anymore so really wouldn't be aware. I still feel she may value having a card read to her, but it is difficult knowing what to say back to the Volunteer.

I had decided to keep the wording of the card very simple but include a leaflet with encouraging Bible verses inside, so wondered about gently mentioning this to the Volunteer now to highlight my desire for her ex's Mum to receive it, for the comfort the words could bring. Her responses to me have been very brief but kind, but as it still a sensitive issue, (even though she had mentioned to me she did not get on well with her ex's Mum herself), I am unsure (about whether to say any more to encourage her to send it to her). Part of me feels I should give the matter to God, through praying and trusting, then another feels I should be willing to face any discomfort that pushing more could cause myself or the Volunteer, in my concern for her to hear the gospel. Apologies for the long reply!

Sounds like your situation was a hard one to actually communicate with this sick person. So really in a situation like that, even if you were able to speak to her or be able to get her a letter.

You never know how a person will respond to God's free offer of Eternal Life. Will they trust in The Messiah for Eternal Life. So as this passes, seek out more people with the message of Eternal Life. As there are many who need to hear of this free gift offered by God to people.

Upvote 0