• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Teaching writing or typing to people who are nonverbal or minimally verbal

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I have read it seems that facilitated communication and the rapid prompting method are scientifically discredited.

So I am curious what OTHER ways exist that aim to teach people who are nonverbal or minimally verbal writing or typing, that are NOT scientifically discredited, and/or ARE scientifically approved?

Last edited:

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
From what I have read it seems that facilitated communication and the rapid prompting method are scientifically discredited.

So I am curious what OTHER ways exist that aim to teach people who are nonverbal or minimally verbal writing or typing, that are NOT scientifically discredited, and/or ARE scientifically approved?
Good question. I don't know. However, Smith-Wigglesworth was an illiterate plumber when he got saved. He taught himself to read by studying the Bible. Apparently it was the only book he read.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Getting elected to the White House and having a horde of people explaining what you really meant is the current approved method.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I was just curious what are some current safe and valid methods of teaching nonverbal children, youth or adults to write or type (other than facilitated communication or the rapid prompting method since it seems like they are not scientifically approved)...

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good question. I don't know. However, Smith-Wigglesworth was an illiterate plumber when he got saved. He taught himself to read by studying the Bible. Apparently it was the only book he read.
Thank you from mentioning this. I didn’t know this. According to what I have found he said his wife “taught him to read”: https://www.christiantoday.com/arti...ould.know.about.smith.wigglesworth/109890.htm.

I was specifically asking how nonverbal children (and perhaps adults) are taught to write (I guess being able to write usually comes after being able to read, so I am also interested in how children including those who are nonverbal or minimally verbal are taught to read).

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you from mentioning this. I didn’t know this. According to what I have found he said his wife “taught him to read”: https://www.christiantoday.com/arti...ould.know.about.smith.wigglesworth/109890.htm.

I was specifically asking how nonverbal children (and perhaps adults) are taught to write (I guess being able to write usually comes after being able to read, so I am also interested in how children including those who are nonverbal or minimally verbal are taught to read).
I believe children are much more receptive than adults. My mother was not an educator but surely most gifted. She taught a young man, slightly mentally deficient, to read fairly well. It took amazing patience and persistence.

You are correct. If you can't read then writing is impossible. Assuming that a non-verbal person is not deaf, they will learn language the same way as verbally-able people. To teach them to read, I can only suggest using a show card system. Perhaps such a thing exists, but I've not come across it.

Upvote 0