Home - on break.
✟7,862.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
NOTE: This is not meant to be an in depth discussion of Tattoos or other arguments for or against them. It is solely to explore one particular thing that I found in the text.

I have been on the fence about Tattoos for a long time now. For the most part I didn't really care whether or not they were sinful because I didn't want one anyway. But recently, my girlfriend has been exploring the idea of getting one.

So, we have been discussing it and getting into the text. I have read and reread Leviticus 19 (the whole chapter, not just the verse pertaining to markings, and cutting into the flesh) and I still couldn't make heads or tails of it.

I considered the fact that we weren't bound by the old Law and traditions, which forced me to take the statements in the Law in one of two ways.

1) Traditional Practice
2) Moral Obligation

With that in mind I went back to Leviticus. I looked for any identification of a morally demanding command, or a traditional command.

Here is the argument that I want you to discuss:

The verse in Leviticus which pertains to tattoos uses No Moral Language whereas the other commands which we consider moral (such as Leviticus 18 calling homosexuality an "abomination") do use a word or phrase which indicates a moral standpoint.

Please know that this is convincing me to accept tattoos where before I was either undecided or against them. If you can effectively disprove my argument I will most likely return to that stance.

For the record, I did not put any actual scriptures into this post because I want you to look them up for yourselves. I do not want lazy minds supporting or destroying this argument.

Thank you all for your effort, and I pray that your answers put this argument into its true light.

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Greetings ,

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. <-----> Leviticus 19:28

The above practices were common among the " heathen " - unbelieving idol / false god worshippers .

The Lord seeks a peculiar / distinctive people , set apart from the worldy ways of unbelievers .

For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth. <-----> Deuteronomy 14:8

Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. <-----> Jeremiah 10:2

...Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: <-----> 1st Peter 2:9

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
<-----> 1st Peter 3:1-4

Note above stresses inward adorning , as the acceptable place to " decorate " our selves . This , once again shows a distinct difference between our priorities as followers of Christ , and the priorities of the unbelieving world around us .

Contemporarily tattoos are " big " with convicts and steetwalkers , now doesn't it still make sense that from an associative perspective , that The Lord wills for us to steer clear of resemblances which are thus affiliated - Even as He did with the children of Israel , in days of old ?

Clearly , I believe it does .

Sincerely ,

wm

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
WM,

I appreciate your effort, but I really must stress that I want to discuss this particular argument that I posted.

Your comments on whether or not it is a strong argument, and why, would be much appreciated.

Hi SW ,

Are you referring to this -

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. <-----> Leviticus 18:22

With the words , " it's an abomination " , as the " moral language " , as you call it ?

In looking around at the many charges and commands which are recorded as being from The Lord to His people , most of them do not appear to contain , such an immediate comment of " moral language " , but that doesn't make for very good grounds for them to be discounted .

For example -

Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.
And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.
Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.
Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the LORD.
Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.
<-----> Leviticus 19:11-18

Several of the above commands give the qualifying statement , " I am the Lord " , as the grounds of authority or reason for taking seriously the instruction , ( as does Leviticus 19:28 ).

There is also more than a moral vs traditional considertaion to be made . ( Thinking of " moral " as having to do with fairness towards others .)

It's been said that of the Ten Commandments - The first four are mainly for our relationship with God , and the last six are aimed at our moral interaction with each other .

Based upon that , tattoos may be reckoned among one of those things which God finds offensive , rather than that which troubles humanity .

An analogy could be - Say you made a sculpture of a beautiful woman , and when it was done you put it on display , in front of your house , because you were pleased with how it turned out . But then some neighborhood kids came along in the night , and made markings on your statue with permanent ink . Even if those markings were of an " artistic nature " , it's not likely that you would be pleased with their efforts to decorate your handiwork - Is it ?

Hope this more what you were looking for ?

wm

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.