syncretism

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luthercath

i,m interested in the lcms and possible membership,i,ve attended a local church(lcms) and feel it correctly teaches the gospel and administers the sacraments correctly,i,ve also read the small catechism and feel it is the most biblically sound instruction around,now the problem,i,m in a interfaith marriage(wifes r.c.)and i,m registered on the parish membership rolls(all spouses are,regardless of denomination)i,m active in parish activities,food pantry,housing homeless,etc,however i have no plans to convert to roman catholicism,would the lcms consider this unionism or syncretism?and bar me from membership?can i attend lcms churches indefinitely as a friend or frequent guest?fyi, i was baptized lcms and a member of a church until my early teens but not confirmed. the elca is not an option for me due to there refusal to outright take a stand against abortion.help and advice appreciated. L-CATH

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
luthercath said:
i,m interested in the lcms and possible membership,i,ve attended a local church(lcms) and feel it correctly teaches the gospel and administers the sacraments correctly,i,ve also read the small catechism and feel it is the most biblically sound instruction around,now the problem,i,m in a interfaith marriage(wifes r.c.)and i,m registered on the parish membership rolls(all spouses are,regardless of denomination)i,m active in parish activities,food pantry,housing homeless,etc,however i have no plans to convert to roman catholicism,would the lcms consider this unionism or syncretism?and bar me from membership?can i attend lcms churches indefinitely as a friend or frequent guest?fyi, i was baptized lcms and a member of a church until my early teens but not confirmed. the elca is not an option for me due to there refusal to outright take a stand against abortion.help and advice appreciated. L-CATH

Lots of issues here. I know that there are many inter-denomination families. We had a woman who attended our church while her husband and children attended a Roman Catholic church. She was allowed communion and unfortunately I don't know if she was active with her husbands church in the way of activities or not. I think that Unionism would be more along the lines of whether you are in a worship service and although you profess Lutheranism you would also be embracing Roman Catholic beliefs. Just taking part in outside activities does not constitute Unionism at least not to my understanding.

I doubt very highly that you would be barred from attending a Lutheran church. If you wish to take communion and join a church you would probably have to go through an adult catechism class to ensure that you have the proper understandings of the Lutheran Confessions and then if you decided to join they would also confirm you at the same time and it would be a "reaffirmation of faith" You would be able to commune then, but your wife would not and if you were to attend her church you should not commune with them as that would be considered a unionistic event. But to be part of the homeless pantry as you mentioned would not.

God's blessings on your journey.

Upvote 0
L

luthercath

thanks scott,I don,t commune at the parish(although this parish would allow lutheran spouses because of belief in the real presence)as my beliefs are definitely lutheran(although i respect and love our brother catholics as christians)there would be no problem with conflicting theology.fyi-the lcms church i attend practices close,not closed communion,if you are baptized,believe in the lutheran view of communion,real body and blood in with and under the bread and wine,and are to examine yourself to see if your properly prepared to receive.i,m also a supporter of "the lutheran hour"i know it,s not the same as physical membership,but i feel it puts me in spiritual communion with other baptized lutheran christians. in christ.l-cath

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.