Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone heard of this man? He was the subject of Kyriacos C. Markides book "The Magus of Strovolos". He was a Orthodox mystic from Cyprus who possessed many powers of healing and claimed to do other supernatural feats.

After reading some of his interviews, I am confused on how his beliefs correlate with the church. He talks of "Astral Projection", "Higher Planes", "Time Travel", "Incarnation", etc. Here is a recent interview with him. What do you think of his beliefs and experiences?

Theosis.com - Theosis Institute of Mysticism and Healing - The Teaching

I find myself wondering this alot with Christian mystics. Those who claim to be Orthodox in particular. Their teachings are enlightening but many of them seem heretical. In such a case, who is right? I doubt it's Satan providing them with their spiritual powers, in which case, God is the only other source.

Giantsbran1227

The Sinner.
Feb 18, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The magus of Strovolos is all about a synchretism between the occult and Orthodoxy. Stelios atesshlis is the founder of this occult group. Interesting, but dangerous if you don't realize who they are.

So does the church support this group? Or this way of thinking as a whole?

By the way Thekla, this book is on Orthodoxy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So does the church support this group? Or this way of thinking as a whole?

By the way Thekla, this book is on Orthodoxy.
No the church condemns it. The book is not on Orthodoxy by the way. There is some discussion about Orthodoxy, but the book is mainly about the occult practices of a very small group of people on Cyprus. If you are going to read Markides, read "The mountain of Silence"

Upvote 0

superman34

Sep 11, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello there,

You asked about Stylianos Atteshlis, aka "Magus of Strovolos". "Maugs" in Greek language means Magic or Magician; someone who performs un-explained acts or magic tricks. :) haha..

Look, you have to understand a lot about Christianity of Today and Christianity when it first formed to understand what is really going on, in my own point of view. A church always is and will be an association devoted to the practice of Christianity as they pass on beliefs, values and teachings. Orthodoxy is the first organized church formed of mainstream Christianity, AKA, The Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. "Orthodox Church". Today it is referred to as Orthodox because the word, Orthodox means Traditional. All bibles, (Greek word for Book, "Bibilio".) came from the distribution from the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. (Orthodox Church) Many of the parts to the New Testament was written in whereas today, Orthodox Churches, so realistically Orthodox was the first church formed.

Catholic Churches and Coptic Church were basically part of the Orthodox Church at the begining with their services in Greek Language until later political mishaps happened and the Western Roman Empire combined the governance of a "Pope" as rule of the Empire and the Church which was forbidden in Orthodoxy. (Constantinople)

Anyway, the Magus of Strovolos, claims to have lived all these lives and became a Spiritual Being most likely to pass on a message to people he encountered in life. The basic forms of his message was;

- follow Christianity; it doesn't really matter what religion you are you are ok; and he confirms that Jesus the Christ, the God man is real and is the Messiah (Christ)
- don't be scared of people that tell you your going to hell
- you reincarnate to live another life to learn and potentially correct SINs that you have committed as a fabric of "Karma" which you caused from before; the end result is you to become devine, but if you keep sining you SUCK and will keep going through problem until you become better.
- he says, Jesus the Christ, the God man doesn't want people to go through pain of bad Karma so he heals their Karma from them
- he says, many other things ... lalala
- and he spoke 5 different languages without learning them in school, which he says he lived these lives

So, basically, the Orthodox church condemned him because they were scared of him. PERIOD.

Priests normally do not encounter the supernatural, so then this guy, Magus of Strovolos is healing people, they got scared and said he speaks to other beings. lalala

Later, because the Orthodox Church does not dis regard new teachings or wisdom that can add to our faith, the Church accepted his teachings and some monks and others may be learning from him.

the Magus of Strovolos has too many people which claimed he healed them and a lot of people the saw this happen.

If your looking for further spirituality , Follow your Heart of Goodness and learn from everybody that is good and don't join into any cults. Follow yourself. God made your soul, other people didn't make your soul. Your living for God and God lives inside of you and Jesus the Christ is real and is you savior of Karma Sin to hurry up and become divine (a good spiritual being full of experience and knowledge, everybody can be forgiven.) . :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

superman34

Sep 11, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Also, just add into the whole thing I wrote.

The Magus of Strovolos, claims that peoples sins result in bad Karma and the need to pay for the Sin to bring their divine self back to a oneness state of Goodness.

So, in one of his examples, a person that killed him in a past life was born and he healed him by using the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ to forgive them and take away their bad Karma.

Magus claims that Karma is a natural force of balance that God doesn't want us to suffer from as a Hell of reincarnation because of acts of stupidity.

Also, when I read his book, I studied a lot of other religions from Pagen, to others and his correlates with the basic fundamentals of most religions. He is fairly direct on what is trying to say to people.

He healed people that are still alive today and you can go visit them in Cyprus. Not everybody knows about him or believes him in Cyprus. but you can ask the people he healed to find out what was going on.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,481,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Far from a fraud.

His miracles have been witnessed by thousands of people. His teachings incorrect- maybe. His ability to heal incorrect- no.

the devil can heal if it keeps people in delusion or in sin.

Upvote 0

AV1

Jul 25, 2013
Michigan
✟15,355.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have access to power we do not understand and were not intended to use outside of our original relationship with God. It does not cease to exist just because we are damaged. Remember that we were given dominion over the Earth and everything in it. We cannot understand it or hope to control its use because we are given to sin. There are warnings in Scripture, and from the Church on such things.

The evil one knows this and attempts to distract us from our faith with its trappings of human achievement, absent the relationship and Glory due to God.

Distance from disorder.

Upvote 0

Ray Mars

Nov 28, 2015
✟7,611.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I believed in Stelios Atteshlis, "Daskalos." Now I am embarrassed that I did. Why was I taken in? Markides tells us at the Council of Nicea in 325AD all references to reincarnation were removed from the Bible. Absurd and impossible. How could they physically do this? It is known exactly what was discussed at this Council, Arianism. It is not lost in time`s mists. Also Atteshlis claimed to have been Tolstoy, I believe. Daft again if you know about Tolstoy, he did not claim to have all the answers but seems to have died sad and confused. What`s wrong with the Gospels? Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit! Atteshlis never spoke about self denial, his healings were unlike those of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believed in Stelios Atteshlis, "Daskalos." Now I am embarrassed that I did. Why was I taken in? Markides tells us at the Council of Nicea in 325AD all references to reincarnation were removed from the Bible. Absurd and impossible. How could they physically do this? It is known exactly what was discussed at this Council, Arianism. It is not lost in time`s mists. Also Atteshlis claimed to have been Tolstoy, I believe. Daft again if you know about Tolstoy, he did not claim to have all the answers but seems to have died sad and confused. What`s wrong with the Gospels? Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit! Atteshlis never spoke about self denial, his healings were unlike those of Jesus.
Welcome to CF, Ray Mars, and welcome to TAW. Well THAT was interesting, from the point of view of someone who has been here for a while but never saw posts from some of the people in this thread. I think some left before my time. And on such a controversial topic!

Probably not worth mentioning that I know a family member of Benny Hinn, who knows something about what is publicly seen and experienced, though they are very careful not to actually speak about it.

But the topic is really this other person. I heard something from Markides once that REALLY made me question - I see now it might have been "pre-Orthodox" so that explains it. Thank you for bringing up an old thread and accomplishing that much. ;)

Again, welcome to CF, and TAW. Feel free to start threads of your own, or if you like, join in whatever is under conversation right now. I hope you are blessed by being here! :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,481,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Truth is truth. It doesn't matter if there was or not. And doesnt matter if you believe it or not. A past life is already dead.

The thred may be dead in your eyes but it lives on the internet.
again, please read our rules before commenting. this isn’t the place for this kind of stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.