I need a sounding board.
Due to cv19, we started facebook live.
An indivual on the church board took
his phone and started broadcasting.
We have older av equipment, but still
functional. Seeing this, I worked on
Getting current to work...which I have
Done, with no expense to the church.
We have distant member that view facebook, along with other people.
Well now, this person that does the
Youtube broadcasting, at church council
Thinks we should stop, after the cv19.
This after I have things ready.
He said we should stop because people
Will watch it and not come to church.
We also broadcast on the radio. I am
tempted to say we should stop the
radio...since people listen to it, and
Dont attend.
My idea is we are fisherman of men.
We need to reach out to people.

I just dont understand.
It was mentioned to worship
Chair...they too didnt want to talk
About, saying we need new cameras,
Pa, mics, after that then talk about.

Just why new cameras, pa, etc ????
I am starting to think its more the
Issue I did it, and figured it.

Thank you

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello and thank you for reading this.
I need a sounding board.
Dont attend.

I just dont understand.

Thank you

I agree with the point that we are supposed to be fishers of men.
Fish don't show up at your door and ask to be caught.
You need to go get them.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟328,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It could be the older equipment, newer stuff has better resolution and way more dynamic range. Heck a modern cell phone probably has more. I know my 9 month old Galaxy photos are as good as my older DSLR cameras and the video maybe better than my older camcorder. I still use the camcorder for recordings so far but truth be known the cell is better in lower light and holds highlights better. Either is fine with a lap mic as far as sound goes. Then the video software.

Our main church in Baltimore has streamed services for years and still draws a crowd enough for three Sunday services and Wed night. All other functions are streamed, it doesn't buffer perfectly though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Upvote 0

FriendlyToast

Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2019
Centurion
✟114,833.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So the main question is if you should continue broadcasting after C19?

I would not stop broadcasting. People go to church for the Word of God and also to fellowship together.

It's not the same on a computer screen. Eventually you realize how much you miss fellowship with other christians if you don't attend church for a while. (I learned that the hard way)

If someone is too lazy to go to church on a Sunday they probably wouldn't have gone in the first place.

When our church got streaming abilities years ago, the pastor used it to his advantage to reach people that emigrated to different countries and would otherwise have a hard time listening to a sermon in their mother tongue.

My advice: Continue to broadcast. The true flock will still come and you can reach other people too.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My advice: Continue to broadcast. The true flock will still come and you can reach other people too.
Non-C19 shut-ins would appreciate it, too. I have seen what passes for churches at a retirement home in our town. It is very ecumenical & watered-down. I hope that is not my only option when I get old.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,812.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why not ask your online group for their opinions and feedback? I did, and I was blown away by what they shared about how streaming has been helpful to them... and armed with that kind of response, you're in a more informed position to make decisions about how to serve them going forward.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Streaming is not only for times like these. As has been said, it's useful for anyone who is shut in for any reason.
1. For older folks who have a hard time getting to church on a regular basis, or during bad weather.

2. For moms of infants! If you stream the worship, you could also feed that stream into the church nursery. Doing that lets the kids/infants play and be noisy (kids will be kids after all) and the mom's still have the input of the church service to participate in.

3. To attract newcomers! Streaming services is like showing a home or a car to a prospective buyer.

They can stop or pause the service at their convenience, get used to the flow of what happens, and gradually become familiar with the flow of the service while still in the safety of their own home surroundings.

The goal in doing this is to put a tag line at the end of the sermon, recognizing "Our new friends who are visiting with us today from the internet", and invite them to "please drop by next week and see us."

So yes, there are lots of reasons to continue using the internet after everything opens up again.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

WoshipWarrior

Jan 31, 2007
✟14,737.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think many folks will argue the benefit of streaming. I think that OP has a deeper issue to contend with: a heart matter. It sounds like the person on the board/council is worried that "If they don't come to church we won't get their money". I've seen it many times... fear of revenue loss drives SUPER POOR decisions. Just my $.02 on it... but I think it's not got anything to do with making available a stream for folks.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟710,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello and thank you for reading this.
I need a sounding board.
Dont attend.

I just dont understand.

Thank you

I would keep doing the broadcast, but remind people periodically of the importance of in-person congregating if/when they have the ability... (not everyone will be able to come due to illness or health related problems)...

I think the importance of our church family is starting to be lost, so the periodic reminder is good, but other than that, being able to broadcast and such is a blessing as well, and can bring people to hear the message of salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟710,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think many folks will argue the benefit of streaming. I think that OP has a deeper issue to contend with: a heart matter. It sounds like the person on the board/council is worried that "If they don't come to church we won't get their money". I've seen it many times... fear of revenue loss drives SUPER POOR decisions. Just my $.02 on it... but I think it's not got anything to do with making available a stream for folks.

It's nothing to do with money... as it is written in Hebrews, do not forsake the assembly as is the habit of some.

We need our church family. If we are the body of Christ then we need to assemble. If your arm quits on you, your called disabled. If the body quits the assembly, the body is likewise, disabled instead of able bodied in assembly/church.

We should use every means possible to reach the lost and/or those members who cannot attend, but we need the assembly, plus, it's a command not a mere suggestion to do so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WoshipWarrior

Jan 31, 2007
✟14,737.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's nothing to do with money... as it is written in Hebrews, do not forsake the assembly as is the habit of some.

We need our church family. If we are the body of Christ then we need to assemble. If your arm quits on you, your called disabled. If the body quits the assembly, the body is likewise, disabled instead of able bodied in assembly/church.

We should use every means possible to reach the lost and/or those members who cannot attend, but we need the assembly, plus, it's a command not a mere suggestion to do so.

As the OP said, there's no issue with the radio broadcast. I was just offering a different perspective - because I've seen it all over: the fear of lost "tithes and offerings" driving decisions.

I agree, we NEED to keep meeting together, physically, but it's REALLY nice to offer the option to still be able to reach those who can't meet, who are on vacations, or who simply cannot make it for whatever reason. Perhaps they moved away and want to keep in touch that way? Perhaps they are in the military and overseas and want to watch that way?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟710,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As the OP said, there's no issue with the radio broadcast. I was just offering a different perspective - because I've seen it all over: the fear of lost "tithes and offerings" driving decisions.

I agree, we NEED to keep meeting together, physically, but it's REALLY nice to offer the option to still be able to reach those who can't meet, who are on vacations, or who simply cannot make it for whatever reason. Perhaps they moved away and want to keep in touch that way? Perhaps they are in the military and overseas and want to watch that way?

Concern over lost tithes was more due to the high employment caused by the state's over reaction to the coronavirus than to church being forced to stop meeting at all, although both likely feed one another... that, and with the unusually high unemployment you have more church members in financial need, so during a time less can be taken in, more needs to go out to the Christian community.

But it's not because Pastors are just money grubbers, which is the way some try and make it sound.

I do agree. And I did say. That online service availability is a good thing, even sans virus.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was just offering a different perspective - because I've seen it all over: the fear of lost "tithes and offerings" driving decisions.
We can't physically attend our church right now, but even when we did, I always sent our tithes & offerings from home (via online banking). I find it to be much more convenient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums