Still taking a break but I want to share what I have researched....

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jim, I agree with absolutely all you've said...only you've said it much better than I could!

I am without a doubt with conservative veiws but try to give grace to those who don't have the same veiws.

Thank you. :wave:

I will still fellowship and debate with my Christian brethren even though I may not agree with their beliefs. Grace is about loving other people that we have the freedom to do so but at the same time, respect how they practice their beliefs. I just let God handle their beliefs that I disagree with.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟65,046.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
After thinking, I have come to conclusion that being a moderate reminds me that I have no control of what is going on in this world. To me, spiritually stable is to be in an environment of peace or an environment of love in the fellowship. Because, discord, disunity, and chaos will always produce great insecurity that leads people to feel destabilize in their lives. There are some who seem to look on the gloomy side and never able to do respond in faith to life's problems, instead, they grumble about the trials that they forget God's powerful grace. We live in a fallen world and this is what is to be expected. In my faith, I will rest in the confident faith that my God is sovereign over all fallen world to effect His own eternal purposes. That's the solution to the problem, that perspective, an adequate knowledge of God is essential in the matter of spiritual stability. Christianity will always be running against the prevailing society of individualistic views. I have no problem working persistently and faithfully for a more peaceful community. But I am not going to allow anyone to compromise my faith and I will respectfully disagree with them.

I feel that this place (Moderate Christians) might be a place for me. I still can be a conservative while at the same time be a moderate in this world. I have recently signed up to become a member. :wave:

Amen Jim. I look forward to many respectful disagreements with you, and I hope that we'll also find much to agree on too. ;) :) God bless you brother, thank you for bringing your gift of wisdom and clarity to us.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
*waves to Rochir*
icon_veiledsmile1.gif

wa alaikum assalam Rhamiel,

I'd hesitate to describe myself as moderate, although this definition does fit my beliefs/world outlook. There is too much baggage associated with the term - primarily from non muslims demanding to know if we are "moderate," ie if we agree with them. Look at the news, and see who is labeled a moderate. It's usually muslims who are friendly to america's foreign policy. It's more of a socio-political label than a theological one. Or, when it's used theology wise, it's used to describe those who do not practice Islam, or who are lax about certain things that are seen as very "strict," such as no alcohol, praying 5 times a day, having premarital relations, etc.

However, if we did use moderate in a theological sense, I could definately see this definition fitting in with the "traditionalist/neo traditionalist" movement that I ascribe to.

One of the great scholars, Imam abu Hanfia said, "My opinion (on this jurisprudence issue) is right. However, I do not exclude the possibility that I may be wrong. My opponent's opinion is wrong. However, I do not ignore the possibility that he may be right."

If I had to label myself (and I do play with labels for fun and to mess with people's heads :ebil: ), I'd call myself a neo traditionalist of the shafi'i shadhili ashari variety and always a FUNdamentalist :p Weee, labels are fun.

Now, I really don't want to derail this thread. I hope the MC members don't mind a like minded muslim hanging around. I promise I won't preach :angel:
I can't speak for anyone else, but if that post is at all typical of you, I'm going to love having you around. That was delightful! :clap:

:hug:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The main reservation I have to the idea that a Moderate is really a Conservative with good manners and a calm disposition is that there is nothing in Conservatism that requires anyone to be ill tempered and/or prickly...and most of them are neither.

Maybe what this forum is, then, is a forum for people who don't care too much for labels.

"As a moderate Christian, a person desires to be well-balanced, calm, careful, steady, and sane."

That's a Christian who behaves with moderation, that's all. Not a "Moderate Christian."

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
The main reservation I have to the idea that a Moderate is really a Conservative with good manners and a calm disposition is that there is nothing in Conservatism that requires anyone to be ill tempered and/or prickly...and most of them are neither.

Maybe what this forum is, then, is a forum for people who don't care too much for labels.

"As a moderate Christian, a person desires to be well-balanced, calm, careful, steady, and sane."

That's a Christian who behaves with moderation, that's all. Not a "Moderate Christian."
That works for me! :amen:

We'll decide on a better name soon. Of course God's love for us is not moderate, and our love for Him shouldn't be either! But what we should be is loving to each other, and not contentious or argumentative. I think we're off to a good start on that here. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0