Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well personally I'm a Star Wars person. Our entire family has grown up with it! Hee hee. So here's the big question "Star Wars Or Star Trek?" If you want to put why, that would be super too. (also my favorite dude, and movie is : The forth one (So the first one that came out) and then the Storm Troopers!)

C-3P0 rocks my socks too

The first time I ever went to a movie theater was when Star Wars came out (the first time, the first movie).

I remember being so excited to see the movie, and in such awe in seeing it. All of us were so in love with the movie.. coolest movie ever.

Star Trek was fine weekend television, but it never had anything on Star Wars.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I gave in & am half-way thru The Mandalorian Season 1. It's okay. There's definitely good moments, but it does seem dumbed down as well.

He himself is really cool & makes me want to be a Mandalorian bounty hunter! Baby Yoda lives up to the hype & steals all the scenes he’s in. It’s nice seeing Star Wars w/ real people again. The 1st few episodes are really really good. The middle few I wasn’t impressed w/ & were rehashes of episodes of The Clone Wars show. ‘Train a village to protect against invaders’, ‘a prison break w/ a squad of other bounty hunters’, ugh, seen this before.

So I have mixed feelings on this. It reminds me a lot of The Clone Wars & Rebels show which as I said I overall didn't care for. It is Disney-fied. But there's really good parts too.
I watched the final 2 episodes of Season 1. They were almost as good as the 1st few. Still flaws, but good overall. I'll probably start Season 2 this weekend.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟616,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like them both. Mainly I like the original 3 Star Wars movies, and the original Star Trek series and six moves that followed it best.

One of the best things with watching the original Star Trek series, was all the funny comments my older brother made ala Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I watched the final 2 episodes of Season 1. They were almost as good as the 1st few. Still flaws, but good overall. I'll probably start Season 2 this weekend.
Season 2 was great. I thought I had posted my thoughts here, but I don’t see I did. I liked it overall.

I have 2 more episodes of the Boba Fett show. What a mess of a show! There’s parts that make me want to shut it off for good, Last Jedi bad, BUT I still like it & would still recommend it to Star Wars fans. It's just border-line fan-fictiony at times.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I like Star Trek TOS and TNG. Voyager was okay, didn't really get into any of the other ones. Husband used to be a Star Wars fan but not that much anymore, his enjoyment has dwindled over the years. He says there came a point where the best of the movies are in the distant past, that these days they're made just for the sake of making them. For some reason he did like the Clone Wars animated series though.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
For me, I enjoy Star Trek more than Star Wars—at least for now.

It’s because Star Trek had a television franchise running for decades, well over 50 years now, which maintained its fan base in between movie releases. Admittedly, that was not until the 1980s with the arrival of Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994), but then I was born in 1978 so that explains my bias. For nearly two decades we had one television series after another keeping fans engaged between movie releases, from 1987 until 2005 (The Next Generation, 1987-1994; Deep Space Nine, 1993-1999; Voyager, 1995-2001; [and the hideous] Enterprise, 2001-2005). I’m a ‘90s kid and there is no doubt that the 1990s was the decade of Star Trek.

For Star Wars, there was basically just The Skywalker Saga: the original three (1977-1983), and then nothing for 16 years; then there was a prequel trilogy (1999-2005), followed by a further ten years; and finally the last three movies in the saga (2015-2019). I mean, what did the average Star Wars fan have to hold them through those all those years with nothing Star Wars on the television or in theaters? (I said “average” because I know there are serious fans who will tout the novels, particularly the best-selling Thrawn series.)

But that might be starting to change. I absolutely loved the final trilogy in The Skywalker Saga—yes, including The Rise of Skywalker (2019)—and I continue to re-watch them almost every year. I also enjoyed the spin-offs, with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) easily being one of my all-time favorite Star Wars movies. But what really started to convert me was the live-action television series they have been releasing, starting with The Mandalorian (2019-Present) but especially Andor (2022-Present) which has really, really grabbed my attention. (I tried watching Obi-Wan Kenobi [2022] but couldn’t get past the first episode, and I haven’t watched The Book of Boba Fett [2021-2022].)

So, for me it's Star Trek—but that could be changing.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,949.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For Star Wars, there was basically just The Skywalker Saga: the original three (1977-1983), and then nothing for 16 years; then there was a prequel trilogy (1999-2005), followed by a further ten years; and finally the last three movies in the saga (2015-2019). I mean, what did the average Star Wars fan have to hold them through those all those years with nothing Star Wars on the television or in theaters? (I said “average” because I know there are serious fans who will tout the novels, particularly the best-selling Thrawn series.)
The seven-season Clone Wars and the five-season Rebels series.

Now, of course, there are mounds of television productions on Disney+, the best of which has been the brilliant recent Andor series.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The seven-season Clone Wars and the five-season Rebels series.

Right. But, like I said, those were after the prequel trilogy (from 2008 onward). Besides the novels, what did the average Star Wars fan have to hold them through that 16-year gap from 1983 to 1999? Star Trek was all over the place throughout the 1990s. Where was Star Wars?

Now, of course, there are mounds of television productions on Disney+, the best of which has been the brilliant recent Andor series.

Brilliant indeed. That show was incredibly good television—and with sufficient meat to satisfy repeat viewings.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Season 2 was great. I thought I had posted my thoughts here, but I don’t see I did. I liked it overall.

I have 2 more episodes of the Boba Fett show. What a mess of a show! There’s parts that make me want to shut it off for good, Last Jedi bad, BUT I still like it & would still recommend it to Star Wars fans. It's just border-line fan-fictiony at times.
I have a couple more episodes left of Andor.
I think it has too many characters / plot-threads going on at once. Needs to be simplified either focusing on a character or thread each episode, or string more of a planet’s scenes together.
A show about the Rebellion first getting started with the Empire at the height of its power should be exciting & edge-on-the-seat. But I haven’t really felt that.
I do like the Coruscant / Mon Mothma / Luthen / Empire scenes. And I like how there’s ‘heroes’ on the Imperial side.
The Cassian stuff itself was good, until he got to this prison planet, & I just want to fast forward those scenes, especially if it leads to a prison break which has been done to death.
I like how it’s not going for pure nostalgia like a lot of other Disney SW has tried to do. Other than a couple TIE Fighters & Stormtroopers, it’s not ‘oooooohhhhh remember that random Cantina character, it’s him!!!!’ or 'It's Tatooine! Remember Tatooine!!!"
I like the political focus, something fans originally didn’t l ike & called it ‘not Star Wars’ when The Phantom Menace did it on the big screen.
Anyways, I’ll rate it below Book of Boba Fett & The Mandalorian Seasons 1 & 2. Mando Season 2 is my favorite so far.
Andor is good. Does it live up to the hype people have sold it as? For me, no. But I still like it overall even tho it can be a little too-slow paced & too much going on at once for me.
I also have a couple more episodes left of the Visions cartoon. I’ve enjoyed those.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟429,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like Star Wars-but not Disney's reboot of it. I am talking about the George Lucas era. After Disney bought it, SW became redudant and boring.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a ex-SW fan I think some of the problem is SW is not mainstream. Instead it was very passionate fans who lived, breathed, & bought all thing SW. When I talked to people about SW, they always said they could never get into it because it’s not in order, or they just treated it like any other generic sci-fi / fantasy movie, where you watch it once & then you’re done with it & move on to the next thing.

I think the Average Joe simply could care less about the Disney+ shows, or one-off movies like Solo or Rogue One not because the shows & movies are bad (tho some (many?) are), most people just are not interested in it. It’s a lot like Star Trek, in a way. The Casual Joe simply isn’t going to watch a SW show any more than a Casual Joe is going to watch a Star Trek show. Disney thought they could just pump out movies & shows & there’d always be an audience, but I don’t think that was never going to be the case, even if the products were good.

Somehow they were able to appeal to the wide audience w/ Marvel, but I think that has more to do w/ seeing those characters on the big screen done properly for the 1st time. Casual Joe has seen Jedi before. This was the first time Casual Joe was able to see the Avengers on screen. But a lot of people think that even that novelty has worn off.

So my point is, instead of appealing to fans, Disney alienated fans by just making throw-away movies thinking Casuals would keep coming, but by doing that, they turned the fans off & were never able to sustain Casuals.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Trying to decide if I want to continue watching Mandalorian Season 3, but it’s Last Jedi bad. I want to keep watching it in case it gets better, but it’s boring too & that’s the worst kind of bad. Feels like I lose brain cells watching it. How is a show about a bunch of cool-looking warrior Mandalorians so uninteresting???

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Although I like Star Wars I think Star Trek is a much better film and television franchise all in all.

However, I do believe that new Star Trek doesn’t hold a candle to what the series once was.

New Star Wars is pretty bad also, except for Rogue One and Andor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Although I like Star Wars I think Star Trek is a much better film and television franchise all in all.

However, I do believe that new Star Trek doesn’t hold a candle to what the series once was.

But yes, New Star Trek is vile. I did enjoy season 1 of Discovery, and season 3 of Picard, but the rest has been pure trash, especially Season 3 of Discovery and Season 2 of Picard and all of Strange New Worlds, which is literally unwatchable. How do you make Captain Pike unwatchable?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟302,078.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Star Trek DS9 made me a solid Star Trek fan.

I think DS9 got real close to real emotions portraying diverse and spiritually broken characters longing for something they could never have or have lost forever. Not only just a bunch of Starfleet officers happy and content in their successful careers.

Almost every character had a heavy back story or had or would have varying degrees of PTSD at some point in the series. Many episodes are quite emotionally charged. Is what I loved so much about it. While physically, they're practically stuck in one place, in a space station, it's the series that moved me the most!

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But yes, New Star Trek is vile. I did enjoy season 1 of Discovery, and season 3 of Picard, but the rest has been pure trash, especially Season 3 of Discovery and Season 2 of Picard and all of Strange New Worlds, which is literally unwatchable. How do you make Captain Pike unwatchable?
I've really enjoyed SNW. I don't have the patience to keep up with season long mini-series anymore like Disco or Picard. My favorite SNW episode was the finale of season 1 with a remake of Balance of Terror from TOS.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Star Trek DS9 made me a solid Star Trek fan.

I think DS9 got real close to real emotions portraying diverse and spiritually broken characters longing for something they could never have or have lost forever. Not only just a bunch of Starfleet officers happy and content in their successful careers.

Almost every character had a heavy back story or had or would have varying degrees of PTSD at some point in the series. Many episodes are quite emotionally charged. Is what I loved so much about it. While physically, they're practically stuck in one place, in a space station, it's the series that moved me the most!

As a younger person I had trouble appreciating DS9 but as I got older it became my favorite Star Trek series (except the extensive Dominion Wars arc).

When I was younger I liked Star Wars but as I've gotten older I'm less of a fan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0