Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, I'm gonna lead a Star Trek discussion class at my church. Basically, I want to pick an episode, say what I think about it, and get everyone talking. Does anyone have any suggested episodes/themes? Preferably TOS because that's what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks!

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nice, thanks. I figured duty would be an easy theme. "Love your neighbor" could be "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" with the black and white guys. I'd like to use "The Galileo Seven" to talk about logic and faith.

There are several episodes with religious overtones. "And The Children Shall Lead" has an "angel", "Who Mours For Adonais" has a god wanting worshippers, "The Apple" is a parody on the Garden of Eden, "Bread and Circuses" imagines a world in which Christ never came to Earth and the Roman Empire continued its rule.

Anybody got any others?

Upvote 0

SuperNova

Dec 20, 2004
Memphis, TN
Visit site
✟8,119.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Discuss how God is acknowledged in TOS alot. Like the "son" worshipers and when they met Zephram Cochran he asked the being if she could create life and she said, "no that is for the creator of all things". And when they met Apollo Kirk said that man kind doesn't need gods, they find the one quite sufficient.

Upvote 0

RoyMustang

May 17, 2007
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a specific episode per se, but the concept of the mirror universe, theres at least one episode in each of the series, and I think it gives a perfect example to what can happen to humanity if hate is left to run rampant in society, even after forming a powerful empire, the terrans become enslaved to other races, and shows that even if we use our militaristic ways to try to conquer our enemies, hate and violence can only take you so far.

Upvote 0

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟21,953.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
'The Doomsday Machine'. I'm not sure how to use it yet, but it's my favorite TOS episode and just had to mention it!!
No Greater Love has a man than this than to fly a shuttle into a giant planet killing super-ship for His friends?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums