Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently read Omer Englebert's biography of St. Francis, and it seemed to me that he took the asceticism aspect and turned it into a sort of idol. As in, poverty became his gospel rather than Jesus. i got the sense that Francis's message wasn't the only way to the Father is through Jesus, but the only way to the Father is through Jesus AND poverty. It struck me as so counterproductive to have his disciples go and beg for food instead of finding work and using their earnings to help the poor. They could have done more that way. I just felt he turned his lifestyle into the object of his faith.
I am impressed. I have not read that book an many years. Does Englebert get into all the socio-economic stuff going on at that time? That is part of what Francis was boycotting. And do you recall how many of the OT prophets acted out signs? Strange scenes like Jerimiah smashing jars before an audience and Ezekiel baking bread over human waste. There’s also that episode of Isaiah walking around naked for three years. Sign Acts: The Weird, Wonderful World of Prophetic Communication That is also part of what Francis was doing. living out the message. But the friars also worked. It is in their rule. And begging for alms was done when necessary. But also when a lesson in humility was needed.

So for me, the life of Francis, like the art work is an outward expression of an inward ideal: total and real dependence on God. As I age I am certainly more in touch with my vulnerability and my poverty of will. He took the Gospel very literarily. You probably know that his inspiration for his life style came from poking his finger in the Bible. Then saying, "This is what is want to do."

And "Poverty" became the issue that divided the order and was challenged by the pope after the death of Francis. It was a controversial issue from the start, especially since the Church had so much wealth.

I think for Francis poverty and preaching were the simplest, most direct ways of imitating Jesus.

Thanks for thinking about it.

Upvote 0

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟8,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am impressed. I have not read that book an many years. Does Englebert get into all the socio-economic stuff going on at that time? That is part of what Francis was boycotting. And do you recall how many of the OT prophets acted out signs? Strange scenes like Jerimiah smashing jars before an audience and Ezekiel baking bread over human waste. There’s also that episode of Isaiah walking around naked for three years. Sign Acts: The Weird, Wonderful World of Prophetic Communication That is also part of what Francis was doing. living out the message. But the friars also worked. It is in their rule. And begging for alms was done when necessary. But also when a lesson in humility was needed.

So for me, the life of Francis, like the art work is an outward expression of an inward ideal: total and real dependence on God. As I age I am certainly more in touch with my vulnerability and my poverty of will. He took the Gospel very literarily. You probably know that his inspiration for his life style came from poking his finger in the Bible. Then saying, "This is what is want to do."

And "Poverty" became the issue that divided the order and was challenged by the pope after the death of Francis. It was a controversial issue from the start, especially since the Church had so much wealth.

I think for Francis poverty and preaching were the simplest, most direct ways of imitating Jesus.

Thanks for thinking about it.
It was honestly kind of a slog to get through; the author took too many detours with anecdotes about Francis and his disciples, mostly apocryphal tales of miracles they performed. When that's not happening, Englebert is expounding on the virtues of asceticism and Francis's zealous emphasis on poverty. Part of this is the bibliophile in me, while the other part is my alarm at Francis's fixation on this misinterpretation of Jesus' teaching. I don't think he should be compared to Old Testament prophets.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was honestly kind of a slog to get through; the author took too many detours with anecdotes about Francis and his disciples, mostly apocryphal tales of miracles they performed. When that's not happening, Englebert is expounding on the virtues of asceticism and Francis's zealous emphasis on poverty. Part of this is the bibliophile in me, while the other part is my alarm at Francis's fixation on this misinterpretation of Jesus' teaching. I don't think he should be compared to Old Testament prophets.
Do you read any books on line or do you prefer hard copy? What will you read next. I am reading several. Celano's first life of Francis, That one on my ipad The First Life of St. Francis

I started a book on the order after Francis by Cajeten Esser but quite the slog there. Celano is quaint hagiography.

Also reading Steven Ozment' The Age of Reform hard copy. An The Name of the Rose by Umberto, hard and on line. eco.http://www.goodwin.ee/ekafoto/tekstid/Eco%20Umberto%20-%20The%20Name%20Of%20The%20Rose.pdf

I like context.

So I am in the middle ages.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1697483286333.png
1697483327122.png

Francis of Assisi: His Life, Vision and Companions (Medieval Lives)

by Michael F. Cusato

Francis of Assisi: The Life and Afterlife of a Medieval Saint

by Andre Vauchez

Two contemporary Books.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“To do penance meant, for Francis and his friars, distancing themselves from all those activities and attitudes, as well as all those forms of neglect and willful blindness, that were dividing and rupturing the sacred bonds of this universal fraternity of creatures through the perpetuation of the immiseration of the poor by powerful, and, conversely as well, the forms of retaliation and hatred foisted in reaction by the poor upon the wealthy.”
Cusato p 43

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Why you?" St Francis was immensely popular. But Why? A crazy man in rags. But people not only listened to him. They were moved by him to change their lives. Some even followed him in an insanely difficult life.

Brother Masseo asked: “I mean, why is it that all the world goes after you; why do all men wish to see you, to hear you, and to obey your word? For you are neither comely nor learned, nor are you of noble birth. How is it, then, that all the world goeth after you?”

St Francis, hearing these words, rejoiced greatly in spirit, and lifting up his eyes to heaven, remained for a long space with his mind rapt in God; then, coming to himself, he knelt down, returning thanks to God with great fervor of spirit, and addressing Brother Messeo, said to him: “Would you know why all men come after me? Know that it is because the Lord, who is in heaven, who sees the evil and the good in all places - because, I say, his holy eyes have found among men no one more wicked, more imperfect, or a greater sinner than I am; and to accomplish the wonderful work which he intends to do, he has found no creature more vile than I am on earth; for which reason he has chosen me, to confound all strength, beauty, greatness, noble birth, and all the science of the world, that men may learn that every virtue and every good gift comes from him, and not from any creature, that none may glory before him; but if any one glory, let him glory in the Lord, to whom belongs all glory in eternity.”
Brother Ugolino: Little Flowers of St. Francis of Assisi - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

1699632328054.png

Upvote 0