Spraying dandelions, a ministry you can start.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Manufacturers of weed sprays reveal that the best time to spray for dandelions is in the late summer or early fall (it's in that very fine print in the instructions). However their tv ads almost always show folks spraying dandelions in the spring when they are flowering. They will never show an ad showing the proper time to spray for truly effective control of dandelions which is in the early fall when next spring's flowering plants are vulnerable seedlings sown by this spring's flowering plants.

Millions of property owners will spray millions of gallons of weed killer each spring in a futile attempt to control dandelions; much more sales for Ortho.

However, you can turn this around by spraying in the fall only and encouraging your neighbors to do this as well. In any case they will see the great results of fall spraying next spring and will likely follow your lead. They in turn can encourage their neighbors to spray in the fall, and soon the entire neighborhood could be nearly free of dandelions.

If this were done on a nationwide basis the use of these chemical could be reduced by millions of gallon. And if judiciously done a single fall spraying could relieve an entire neighborhood of dandelions for several seasons before spraying would be needed again.

You have received the gospel of fall spraying, now go forth and preach. :preach:

• Agree
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry, this came to mind when i saw the word "dandelions"......

did you know that dandelions are very nutritious?

Back to your point...thanks for the info, for anyone who's inclined to spray them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, this came to mind when i saw the word "dandelions"......

did you know that dandelions are very nutritious?

Back to your point...thanks for the info, for anyone who's inclined to spray them.

Culinary dandelions should be cultivated as another garden green, in rich fertile soil. The leaves will be large, tender, not bitter. Use as potherb or add to salads.

• Informative
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Culinary dandelions should be cultivated as another garden green, in rich fertile soil. The leaves will be large, tender, not bitter. Use as potherb or add to salads.

Excellent advice, thank you :)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow, thanks...i didn't know that.

Do you grow dandelions?

I spray dandelions, but I have eaten them; they're not too bad, kinda grassy tasting. A vinaigrette dressing helps. They might even be one of the "bitter herbs" of the bible. :sick:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why go out of the way to grow them myself when they sprout up quite well and tastily all by themselves? My lawn looks beautiful with all the pretty yellow flowers among the green foliage. How insidious of you all to want to murder those lovely plants. I have never sprayed weed killer on my lawn nor will I in future . For a country so concerned with diversity Americans sure want to stifle any chance of it in their front yards through chemical warfare.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why go out of the way to grow them myself when they sprout up quite well and tastily all by themselves? My lawn looks beautiful with all the pretty yellow flowers among the green foliage. How insidious of you all to want to murder those lovely plants. I have never sprayed weed killer on my lawn nor will I in future . For a country so concerned with diversity Americans sure want to stifle any chance of it in their front yards through chemical warfare.

I like a few dandelions as well, but I don't want them to take over. I have enough trouble with the scilla.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like a few dandelions as well, but I don't want them to take over. I have enough trouble with the scilla.
I prefer peaceful coexistence. In the quest for space the dandelions never actually take over. There always comes a natural equilibrium if one does not commit plant genocide on the lawn. My lawn consists of a number of varieties of plant that each have their own natural life and it looks wonderful and lacks monotony as it moves from one phase to the next over the course of the year. Three things I never do . Water, fertilize and engage in chemical warfare. I do mow but that is rarely fatal to the type of plant that will grow in an open space. I will admit that being located in the area I am located in makes it possible to skip the first two things while still having a healthy lawn.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I prefer peaceful coexistence. In the quest for space the dandelions never actually take over. There always comes a natural equilibrium if one does not commit plant genocide on the lawn. My lawn consists of a number of varieties of plant that each have their own natural life and it looks wonderful and lacks monotony as it moves from one phase to the next over the course of the year. Three things I never do . Water, fertilize and engage in chemical warfare. I do mow but that is rarely fatal to the type of plant that will grow in an open space. I will admit that being located in the area I am located in makes it possible to skip the first two things while still having a healthy lawn.

A healthy lawn does limit weed growth. My point is to reduce chemical use generally by using it properly. No one should ever spray lawn weeds in the spring (crabgrass can be removed by hand).

Our cities and suburbs don't spray the median strips, which ensure that dandelions will never be controlled in adjacent neighborhoods and thousands of gallons of weed killers will be used unnecessarily. If a simple ordinance was passed, along with educational material, people would respond and chemical use would be reduced greatly. And I'm sure that people would be delighted with the results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I spray dandelions, but I have eaten them; they're not too bad, kinda grassy tasting. A vinaigrette dressing helps. They might even be one of the "bitter herbs" of the bible. :sick:

LOL! Thanks

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A healthy lawn does limit weed growth. My point is to reduce chemical use generally by using it properly. No one should ever spray lawn weeds in the spring (crabgrass can be removed by hand).
My point is that you need not do a thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spray them in the spring. I spray them in the summer. I spray them in the fall. If I was a Muslim, I'd declare jihad on the things.

Interesting. If you do spray in the fall you shouldn't have a problem the following spring.

Upvote 0