• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

SPiritual problems and Sickness benefits

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟622,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here in the UK we have a Social Security System that supports people unable to work for various reasons of mental or physical illness. I have been a recipient for some years of benefits because of anxiety and depression. Its not clear to me if my problems are spiritual or psychological or a bit of both. My doctor thinks I have an obsessional disorder. Finding suitable work has always been difficult, I am not skilled or trained. I have worked voluntary unpaid a number of hours each week until a few years ago. Other times I have had to cycle a fair distance to jobs in locations not connected by bus routes to find suitable work. If you have seen my other posts you'll see i struggle with unbelief and I think that is part of my problem. I have been to counselling and psychotherapy both secular and christian, I am probably somewhat reluctant to have the roots uncovered and most of the secular counselling doesn't address the spiritual issues in a christian way. Having been for christian psychotherapy a few times I felt the probing was unbearable and my fear and anxiety were at a peak during the sessions and it didn't resolve anything. So I think it part spiritual and part personality disorder of some sort. I have a mental mechanism, or coping mechanism that keeps me appearing to function, but its really just some sort of unreality or pushing the problem back down. I don't think my problems have ever been resolved. Folks like myself (if there is anyone else like myself) cannot function in the workplace relationally, very well, eventually the strain becomes too much. I have done solo work, but its meant travelling long distances. I would like to be doing something, but it hard to find somewhere. I use my time to help my mother whos 91, and that involves looking after her garden, and some shopping and cleaning for her. I don't live at home. I try to give generously to charities and ministries.

My reason for posting is do you think if peoples problems are to do with spiritual, or existential issues they should be entitled to incapacity for work benefit?

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As long as their condition is hindering them from keeping a job, they should be entitled to whatever relevant benefits are going, despite their problem being spiritual or not.

For example, half if not more of people in the UK living with mental illnesses, also misuse substances, which is the real reason why, they ended up developing a mental illness in the first place, yet they are still very much entitled to all sorts of benefits from the gvt.

Upvote 0