• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Special Interest is God?

Heartfullofchrist

Friend to All
May 3, 2019
Olathe
✟16,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hello, dear brothers and sisters in God!

I was wondering if it's common for us Christian autistics to have a special interest in ministry or prayer or something like that? I find that I /really/ do and I think I'm the only one haha...

Reactions: HouseCat71

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟118,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A common trait of Asperger's syndrome is a desire to talk a lot and make friends but not being able to do so partly becaues of what they say. Far too often, people make a big deal about how we express thoughts and care more about that than the message itself. I think this is totally unfair and people should never be angry about the phrases we use to make valid statements. But it is what it is and you will struggle if your words sound negative to the listener. The key is to avoid sounding forceful - "If you don't believe Jesus is God you will go to hell," will turn them off.

• Agree
Reactions: HouseCat71
Upvote 0

Heartfullofchrist

Friend to All
May 3, 2019
Olathe
✟16,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A common trait of Asperger's syndrome is a desire to talk a lot and make friends but not being able to do so partly becaues of what they say. Far too often, people make a big deal about how we express thoughts and care more about that than the message itself. I think this is totally unfair and people should never be angry about the phrases we use to make valid statements. But it is what it is and you will struggle if your words sound negative to the listener. The key is to avoid sounding forceful - "If you don't believe Jesus is God you will go to hell," will turn them off.
Hi there :) I actually do not have Asperger's but I'm autistic. Also I already know all of this and I appreciate you taking the time to type it but all I want is to know if I'm not the only one who has a special interest in God

Upvote 0

Heartfullofchrist

Friend to All
May 3, 2019
Olathe
✟16,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Obviuosly autism is not the reason you have a special interest in God because most people are not on the autism spectrum and certianly many without ASD are just as interested in God as you are.
Well no, the difference is how I relate to my special interests. It's inherently different than merely a passion for someone who isn't autistic. I sincerely would appreciate you not assuming things about me like that given we are strangers on the internet and I didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not my special interest is valid. Sorry for all the misunderstanding and junk, have a good day! God bless!

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟38,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm autistic and I'm very deeply engaged in my faith, worship, ministry, prayer, etc. but I honestly don't know where I'd draw the line between "special interest" and general devoutness. I'm comfortable with calling it my "special interest", though.

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟24,488.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah having a special interest in God is great! That's one of the good things. You can use your focus on God. Of course it's more than just a superficial special interest, it should be a genuine love and relationship. But you can use your special interest to narrow down the focus such as bible study, apologetics, worship, etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2016
Northern Idaho
✟6,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure! Why not? Some may call it a passion, but to me, the worship ministry is very special because I know I can't do anything else. I can't talk to people, teach kids or be involved in anything that has a lot of social requirements. Music though...that's VERY special to me as that's my gift. So yes, you find something you can hang on to and serve God with...it's like a life preserver. It becomes very special to you and that's great you have something.

Upvote 0