The Wild West
✟492,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

To start out with, I really liked this Church of England said Eucharist on Holy Wednesday of this year, from St. Marylebone in the City of Westminster (which is the largest and most populous Borough of London, home to Wesminster Abbey*, Westminster Cathedral**, Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament, the Savoy Hotel, New Scotland Yard, Oxford Street, and Trafalgar Square, just to name a few of the spectacular wonders there, and in addition to its two most famous churches, mentioned above, it also has a number of other much loved parishes in its different neighborhoods.

Last edited:

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Just a few of the notable churches in Westminster include, among Catholic churches:

• The Brompton Oratory, which as an Oratorian church specializes in exceptionally beautiful liturgical services.
  • The Holy Family in Exile Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, which is a beautiful church building that used to house the King’s Weigh House, the largest Congregational church in London where Rev. John Hunter wrote one of the most beautiful liturgical service books ever composed, Devotional Services for Public Worship. His successor, Dr. William E. Orchard, was even more high church, to the extent that he attempted unsuccessfully to turn the King’s Weigh House into a church of ecumenical reconciliation between Protestants and Roman Catholics, and composed a prayer book called The Temple, which I am trying to find a copy of, and also his own liturgical book, which was much closer to the Book of Common Prayer, and alas, much less influential than that of his predecessor, Order of Divine Service for Public Worship. In 1919 he presided at the first ordination of a female pastor in the UK, one Constance Todd, my friend @Paidiske might be interested to note. In 1920 his wife died, but he was able to continue as pastor despite immense psychological challenges due to extreme grief. In 1932 after years of negotiation, real, actual negotiation, which is amazing, and shows how influential this former Congregational church was, his efforts to turn it into an ecumenical “Bridge Church” failed, and he was received into the Roman Catholic Church as a priest (almost certainly they reordained him, but my biographical material doesn’t make this clear), and he spent the last years of his life, leading up to his death in 1955 at 88, as the chaplain to a convent of Dominican nuns.
Among Anglican Churches:
  • St. Martin-in-the-Fields is a beautiful church, famed for its music program, where my mother attended a Christmas Eve service once, but I was unable to accompany her due to a business commitment. In fact I’ve only seen it from the outside, and heard musical recordings. I think they are livestreaming now.
  • Holy Trinity Brompton, where the famed Alpha course was developed. Fortunately for people like me, they offer traditional worship at St Augustine's, Queen's Gate - Wikipedia , which was the first dedicated Anglo-Catholic Church in London; unfortunately I am not sure the clergy they have appointed have an optimal level of respect for Anglo Catholic worship or the heritage of the building. I can think of no sound justification, for example, for the first HTB-appointed priest to replace the pews, preserving only a few but having them moved to the side (conversely, you would need to do this in a Byzantine Rite church or else Hierarchical Divine Liturgies would be obstructed, and most people stand anyway; given my support for the Byzantine Rite Anglo Catholic movement in the US, my hope is it might be introduced in the UK, and this parish would be ideal, with worship at HTB upgraded to be more traditional)*, in favor of individual chairs, and the lack of chasuble wearing since HTB took over is also a concern, but, at least they still have incense, which counts for something.
Among Other Denominations:
  • Methodist Central Hall, which is something of a pilgrimage site for British and American Methodists.
  • The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Mother of God and All The Saints, which is the Cathedral of the Diocese of Sourozh, which was under the Ecumenical Patriarchate and led by the much admired Metropolitan Anthony Bloom during the Cold War era, and was in the same sphere as the Russian emigre community in Paris, containing much of the anti-Communist intelligentsia.
* I am speaking somewhat in jest, although I really am pretty hardcore in my objection to contemporary worship. So don’t make me the bishop of your city unless you want to see every electric guitar and drumkit sold and used to pay for organs, vestments, paraments and iconography, depending on how many there are. A $2000 electric guitar can buy between one and six priest’s vestments, and many more vestments for deacons, readers and acolytes, depending on how high end the manufacturer or tailor is, for example, Slabbinck is very expensive, and there is a service @MarkRohfrietsch and I like which is very inexpensive, and the Indian tailors who make West Syriac Rite vestments are even less expensive.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
South of the Thames is the marvelous Anglo-Catholic parish All Saints Margaret Street, which has a superb choir which has published many albums; recently they recorded a new setting of Choral Evensong to @Paidiske ’s favorite bit of Eastern church music, Rachmaninoff’s All Night Vigils, and Holy Communion to his Divine Liturgy, which is remarkably successful given the words are completely different.

Likewise, a Ukrainian bishop set the Divine Liturgy of St. Chrysostom to the music of the popular Gregorian mass setting Missa di Angelis, which was originally composed by the Franciscans, but is authentic Gregorian chant, and along with Rorate Caeli, is one of my two favorite Gregorian Rite mass settings. This was recorded by the Kyiv Chamber Choir, which is my favorite church choir in the Ukrainian-Russian-Belarussian-Bulgarian-Polish-Baltic-Finnish continuum of Church Slavonic music in four part harmony (the Serbian Orthodox have their own composers and a different style, while both the Serbians and the Bulgarians originally sang Byzantine Chant, and a congregational form of singing called Prostopininje is traditional a,onf the Carpatho-Rusyns and Lemkos, who are predominant in the Czech-Slovak Orthodox Church and comprise much of the Orthodox population of Poland, Belarus and Western Ukraine, and also much of the emigre population in central Pennsylvania (where the town of Wilkes-Barre is jokingly nicknamed “Fourth Rome”, because of the idea that due to a Romanov marrying a Byzantine princess, Moscow was the Third Rome, until 1917 at least, and Constantinople is still officially regarded as New Rome by Orthodox religious texts, as it was by the Byzantine Government). I believe some of the more idiosyncratic Moravian hymns are influenced by Prostopinije; sadly these are much less commonly heard than in the past, with the 1969 Hymnal and Liturgies of the Moravian Church in America retiring many*, a trend which I believe has continued in more recent hymnals (not sure about the UK, however, if you look at the 1908, 1923 or even 1969 Moravian Hymnal and Liturgies, you will see a lot of hymns not found in a typical Lutheran, Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian or Congregationalist hymnal from the period, hymns which often have unusual melodies, and that is in part due to the influence of Prostopinije, which was the dominant form of music in Moravia and Bohemia and the rest of Czechia and Slovakia, before the Archduchy of Austria invaded and imposed Roman Rite Catholicism, at which time the dominant style became Gregorian Chant.

The main traditional style of Ukraine and Russia consists of a local derivative of Byzantine Chant, Znamenny Chant, which was generally prevalent until the introduction of four part harmony in Ukraine in the 17th century by Italian composers, which led to two styles of simple chant, Kievan Chant and Greek Chant (which is not Greek), and some more complex styles, such as Imperial Court Chant, which were the basis of the works of great composers such as Bortniansky, Chesnokov, Vedel, Archangelsky, Gretchinov, Nikolsky, Stankovych and of course, Rachmaninoff, and many others in what we might call the Kievan-Minsky-Muscovite-Petrogradsky-Sofian school, including recent composers such as the Estonian Orthodox Avro Part, the Russian Orthodox Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, the American Russian Orthodox conwertsy Kurt Sander, and the Ukrainian-American Greek Catholic composer Roman Hurko.

The interesting thing about Znamenny Chant and Prostopinije is that they lead themselves extremely well to congregational singing, unlike many forms of Eastern church music or traditional chant (the 1965 Methodist Episcopal Hymnal, the 1941 Lutheran Hymnal, the 1982 Episcopal Hymnal, and several others have tried to teach congregations how to sing Anglican Chant, but the use of Anglican Chant in the US is still extremely rare (I think even the 2006 Lutheran Service Book has a chapter on it), which is unfortunate, because it means that Psalms and Responsorial Readings tend to be read, which is fine at a Said Service but does nothing to provide the kind of liturgical beauty desirable at a Choral Liturgy. Also, while Handbell Choirs are lovely, I feel they are being overused as a bandaid on traditional services to provide a means for active congregational participation which requires a minimum of effort.

Which does not mean I wish to see them done away with, but three things are missing from American liturgics: firstly a proper respect for the reverence and solemnity required to ensure everything is done, as St. Paul commands, decently and in order (if this existed there would be no such thing as praise and worship music). Secondly, high expectations for laity who are inclined to actively participate, so that children would worship with their parents like in Orthodox churches, and receive the Eucharist regardless of age, with Sunday School being a post-liturgical service along with fellowship and bible study for adults, and older childrennot be patronized by departures from the service which older children and adults find equally awkward, but rather taught how to worship, and actively involved in choirs and altar service, so that every boy and girl of grade school age who is in good health and has the proper disposition (behaviorally and in other respects) should instead be actively involved in part of the liturgy, at least part of the time, whether that is singing in the choir or as altar servers or acolytes, and this should be integrated with church-organized scouting, with older boys and girls helping to teach younger boys and girls, and among adults, likewise, an expectation that those who involve themselves in the music programs really commit (I think handbell choirs might be something to reserve for youths and adults who want to learn to read music, which due to the severe cuts imposed on music education in American schools, has gone from being widely known in the early 20th century to the brink of obscurity in the early 21st century, hence the proliferation of illiterate forms of music), and thirdly, a greater respect for interior participation and silence, which are encouraged by the Tridentine Mass, traditional Anglo-Catholic liturgics, and the Eastern liturgies, where even when congregational singing is used, one does not have to join in (even in the Russian Old Rite, where chairs around the nave provide seating for anyone who is elderly, disabled or recovering from an illness, or not familiar with the hymns; those who can form two choirs, the men on one side and the women on the other, each led by a pair of cantors, one man and one woman, using subtle gestures to avoid distractions from the worship, and people standing in order of their singing ability at that particular moment. But there is a lot to be said for completely passive interior participation, which has been systematically devalued, deprecated and deleted from worship since sometime prior to the 1940s, when the Liturgical Movement arguably shifted focus.

* The preface of the 1969 Moravian Hymnal, which is the abbreviated title, and which is in the public domain and downloadable from the Internet Archive, states: “In comparison with the hymnal of 1923, the number of hymns has been reduced, many having been eliminated because they were not being used. The new hymnals of the British, German, and Czechoslovakian provinces of the Unity have yielded a number of selections. Sustained efforts likewise have been made to move within the mainstream of American Christianity by following the trends in new hymnals of leading denominations. Careful consideration has been given to contemporary hymn-writers and composers.”

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So based on the previous commentary, I have some beautiful liturgies to share. All Saints Margaret Street did a lovely service yesterday using Common Worship, which @Paidiske and I are fans of, but specifically, a rare form of Common Worship, that being a traditional language version of Eucharistic Prayer A from Rite One (which is contemporary language, unlike in the 1979 BCP where Rite One is traditional language). This is reminiscent of the Anglican Service Book, a 1994 traditional language adaptation of the 1979 BCP (the rubrics for which explictly allow for it to be adapted into traditional Ecclesiastical language such as one would find in the 1662 English and 1928 American editions of the Book of Common Prayer). The liturgy is here:

The text and rubrics are here (specifically, Eucharistic Prayer A, on the right hand side): Eucharistic Prayers, May 1999

Then, we have from Central Pennsylvania, some pure Prostopinije at the American Carpatho Rusyn Orthodox Diocese cathedral, and a mix of Prostopinije and Kievan Chant, Imperial Russian Chant and Greek Chant at these OCA, ROCOR, and MP Hierarchical Divine Liturgies (note the varying levels of congregational participation):

My thought in this thread, as should be evident, is to talk about liturgical things I like, and then include videos of those things happening in the liturgy. In my next post, I intend to share some Anglo Catholic, Tridentine and English language Oriental Orthodox worship.

I hope all of you will talk about what you like, and post videos of it. We are all friends here, and what makes Traditional Theology special is we all come from different traditional churches and look at sacred tradition differently. This is beautiful, and so if your approach is different from mine, the diversity of our views is precious. Because the whole point of celebrating traditional Christianity is so that all of Christendom isn’t taken over by identical looking churches in converted warehouses and cinemas showing videos of a celebrity pastor wearing a T shirt and torn jeans and lots of gilded jewelry preaching the prosperity Gospel, interspersed with failed Pop bands manned by ageing Gen Xers such as my evil twin, the Aliturgist, singing songs based on the narrative of Left Behind and The Da Vinci Code. Rather we need to preserve our unique traditions, that reflect the diverse regional uses and rites of traditional Nicene Christianity, in order to preserve the Faith handed down from the Apostles. Preaching the True Gospel requires worshipping God in Truth and Beauty. Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi.

God bless all of you.

Upvote 0