So what exactly is a Moderate Christian anyway?

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Conservatives berate those who disagree with them.

Conservatives can't discuss without being nasty to one another.

Poor old conservatives. What have they done to deserve this?

So now moderate equals conservative views without the bad manners. :)

Maybe this is more to do with conservatives reclaiming conservatism from the bad mannered element, which is not conservatism. Conservatism is about respect for God, respect for what he says, and respect for humanity. It is nothing to do with imposing anything on anyone, or being a bully.

Well you're going to a fun and surpising addition to our little group :D Good insights! Glad you made it to our little place. :)

Reactions: meh
Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe this is more to do with conservatives reclaiming conservatism from the bad mannered element, which is not conservatism. Conservatism is about respect for God, respect for what he says, and respect for humanity. It is nothing to do with imposing anything on anyone, or being a bully.
I'd like to think that you are correct, yet I have never strayed from any of those values, but have been consistently warned away from community with the conservatives of the forum... I really do think a certain level of exclusivity is implied by the claiming of the label.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...interesting thoughts Catherineanne. You've given me a lot to think about. :) Thank you. :thumbsup:
Yes, indeed, a fine series of posts, Catherineanne! :amen:

God's love for us is anything but moderate. It's boundless, it's amazing, it's over the top! And our love for God shouldn't be moderate either, and I hope none of us mean we're moderate in that sense.

But we ought to be moderate in the sense of being sober-minded, sensible and charitable, and we should always bear in mind when we have theological discussions here, even heated ones, that it is with our brothers and sisters in Christ, whom we are especially commanded to love, even though some of them may at times be a tad misguided.

:preach: :groupray:

Upvote 0
L

~*Lady Trekki*~

Yes, indeed, a fine series of posts, Catherineanne! :amen:

God's love for us is anything but moderate. It's boundless, it's amazing, it's over the top! And our love for God shouldn't be moderate either, and I hope none of us mean we're moderate in that sense.

But we ought to be moderate in the sense of being sober-minded, sensible and charitable, and we should always bear in mind when we have theological discussions here, even heated ones, that it is with our brothers and sisters in Christ, whom we are especially commanded to love, even though some of them may at times be a tad misguided.

:preach: :groupray:
Amen!

Upvote 0
L

~*Lady Trekki*~

linking JimfromOhio's thread where he actually researched moderate Christianity:

http://foru.ms/t6344309-still-taking-a-break-but-i-want-to-share-what-i-have-researched.html
:thumbsup: Good idea! I think it's worth quoting here as well.

I did some research so I will post and take a break. :wave:

Moderates are in short, hold their conservative positions on most issues but have an underlying worldview of what is neo-orthodox and liberalism. Typically, neo-orthodoxy often focus on orthodox view of Christianity while at the same time retains liberal view of the Bible as subject to error (human reasoning). As a moderate Christian, a person desires to be well-balanced, calm, careful, steady, and sane. "Moderate Christian" basically means those who are moderate, relaxed, and open in how they deal with the world, but who take Christianity seriously. Moderate’s character basically means a person whose primary form of witness is by their life, but they do not hide the fact that they are Christians and that they show their spiritual light through deeds first and then words.

I dislike the part about “view of the Bible as subject to error”. However, I like everything else (so far). You could say I could be labeled as “Moderate Conservative” which means I believe the Bible is not corrupted while man is corrupted of interpreting and reasoning. I do like the fact that moderate Christians often behave better and have better credibility. I also learned that Moderate Christians do NOT jump into conclusions during controversies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SwirlingEd

Dec 1, 2005
Fairview, TX
✟413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
GM you are so much fun

Agreed :thumbsup:. Really glad to see you over here, GM.

I've got so many things to say about all of this, but I'm just too busy to write it right now. Let me just say this. I want to be a part of a forum where people are not threatened by thought-provoking discussions, and who are open to the fact that their simple, little human brains may not know everything there is to know about God.

I like to think I have matured enough as a Christian to know that I don't know everything.
:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I've got so many things to say about all of this, but I'm just too busy to write it right now. Let me just say this. I want to be a part of a forum where people are not threatened by thought-provoking discussions, and who are open to the fact that their simple, little human brains may not know everything there is to know about God.

I like to think I have matured enough as a Christian to know that I don't know everything.
:crossrc:

:amen:
I think that is the key - the ability to admit that we don't know everything, and never will, this side of heaven!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Trying to catch up on this newly discovered forum... note to self: continue on page 3 of this thread.
Moderate is about the best label for myself that I've seen lately. I'm too liberal politically and on social issues to really identify truly as conservative. I'm too conservative on Biblical issues to be liberal in that area. I'm tired of being judged as not good enough for one or the other. I'm in the middle :) I have also tried to be really hard-line and tell people what they believe about X or Y is wrong...but honestly, it's just not my style and I can't do it anymore. I am very much more of a just let people be who they are person, because I myself like to be left alone to be who I am.

So I like the term Moderate. in fact, my profile choice on this forum as been Moderate from the time I signed up.
What she said. :)

Upvote 0