Snopes bias in their story "Unpacking Bidens claim Trump called US Soldiers 'Suckers' and 'Losers'

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In addition to the alleged statements about service members generally, Trump has publicly insulted McCain, in particular, by calling him "not a war hero," and "I like people who weren't captured," according to footage on C-SPAN.

The military code of conduct was name, rank, and serial number. Trump has every right to refer to someone who went outside of that code (see the link below for a war time story on McCain) as "not a war hero." That's not an insult!
An unbiased fact checker organization should just say they found no record of Trump saying those words and not editorialize based on their own politics. This is the problem with fact-checkers in general.

Reactions: Vambram

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,129,765.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
McCain had more integrity in his pinky finger than the man who, sixty years after his draft eligibility, has never been found to have "heel spurs" in any of his fawning hyperbolic medical reports.
Heel spurs don't disappear.
Trump called a grieving widow in her funeral limousine and called her hero husband by tge wrong name. He insulted Gold Star parents.
He only visited the troops on holidays once, staying 15 minutes, preferring to video a message from his swanky country club.
Biden, on the other hand, secured VA benefits for thousands of Gulf, Iraq, and Afghanistan War vets harmed by burn pit exposure.
He got us out of Afghanistan as seamlessly as anyone could have, finishing the job Trump lacked the courage to do.
He gave civilians in Afghanistan six months' notice! Some didn't heed it.
His son died from a burn pit related brain cancer in 2015, while Trump's sons were committing $450 million in tax fraud by his side.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟374,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In addition to the alleged statements about service members generally, Trump has publicly insulted McCain, in particular, by calling him "not a war hero," and "I like people who weren't captured," according to footage on C-SPAN.

The military code of conduct was name, rank, and serial number. Trump has every right to refer to someone who went outside of that code (see the link below for a war time story on McCain) as "not a war hero." That's not an insult!
An unbiased fact checker organization should just say they found no record of Trump saying those words and not editorialize based on their own politics. This is the problem with fact-checkers in general.

For ethical people, this should have been the end of his consideration.
1713530102841.png

But some people are bullies and some people love watching the bully bully others.

The yahoo article doesnt say anything new. Eyewitnesses confirm it and theres no audio or visual of it.

Of course trump wasnt willing to stand out in the rain on memorial day so he canceled an event. So it's not like he loves dead soldiers. Seriously.....what have they done for HIM???

Keeping watching the bully.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟112,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He got us out of Afghanistan as seamlessly as anyone could have, finishing the job Trump lacked the courage to do.
Not as seamlessly as he could have had he listened to his own advisers. Let’s get real here it was a complete flub. https://www.gop.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=572#:~:text=President%20Biden's%20disastrous%20withdrawal%20from,because%20of%20Biden's%20failed%20leadership Needless service personnel deaths, many left behind, 7 billion In military equipment left to the hands of the enemy. You say seamless I say disaster. You gave a good try at putting lipstick on a pig.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟707,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Trump did insult McCain. That really actually happened, I don't remember word for word but Trump actually said something along those lines. I actually heard him say it.

That said, the right had a McCain problem at that time, because he was soooo far left, I still haven't a clue what he or his daughter was ever doing trying to feign conservativism, but of course that's just my opinion.

So Trump went after him...

While what he said was highly offensive, it was quite likely just reflective of his personal opinion about McCain and he expressed it in Trump fashion, which felt insulting (as Trump has a tendency to do) to many but it was his way of simply dismissing the things McCain was doing/saying: which was nothing but emulating far leftist elitism.

Most people understand the McCain problem, and don't blame Trump even though the words were offensive. Trump was going after the one, not the many.

Many had feelings about McCain that couldn't really be publicly said, because you can't speak against a POW (or a gold star parent by the way).. So Trump was all, so what? And took down the barrier to speak against him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Trump did insult McCain. That really actually happened, I don't remember word for word but Trump actually said something along those lines. I actually heard him say it.

That said, the right had a McCain problem at that time, because he was soooo far left, I still haven't a clue what he or his daughter was ever doing trying to feign conservativism, but of course that's just my opinion.

So Trump went after him...

While what he said was highly offensive, it was quite likely just reflective of his personal opinion about McCain and he expressed it in Trump fashion, which felt insulting (as Trump has a tendency to do) to many but it was his way of simply dismissing the things McCain was doing/saying: which was nothing but emulating far leftist elitism.

Most people understand the McCain problem, and don't blame Trump even though the words were offensive. Trump was going after the one, not the many.

Many had feelings about McCain that couldn't really be publicly said, because you can't speak against a POW (or a gold star parent by the way).. So Trump was all, so what? And took down the barrier to speak against him.
Mr. McCain should not have been insulted by that. Remember the press had a headline about McCain being a "songbird" during the Vietnam War because of his excessive violations of the code of conduct for prisoners of war instead of name, rank, and serial number. McCain even gave extensive interviews to foreign press during the war. McCain too was a member of the Keating Five, and I think his worst was the badgering of POW/MIA families and blocking them from getting information about their loved ones. So to me those words by Trump are hardly an insult.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟707,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mr. McCain should not have been insulted by that.

Oh but they tried weaponizing it anyway, didn't they? Just like everything else they weaponize. If it can be used for a shield to silence dissent, justified or not, they run with it.

I'm so glad to be out of that etiquette nightmare... Lol.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh but they tried weaponizing it anyway, didn't they? Just like everything else they weaponize. If it can be used for a shield to silence dissent, justified or not, they run with it.

I'm so glad to be out of that etiquette nightmare... Lol.
It's a unique situation in that McCain portrayed himself so much as a hero--he would surround himself with people who would call him a hero and then the "Shucks, I'm no hero" line. That false portrayal allowed the press to very much ignore his numerous unethical actions and many of McCain's false statements were portrayed as fact. He made it all the way to being the Republican nominee for president.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟373,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
McCain, as the son of an admiral, was offered an early release by the North Vietnamese jailers. He refused it. He was beaten and tortured to the point that his arms never did function fully again.

McCain says his torture began in August of 1968. “For the next four days, I was beaten every two or three hours by different guards. My left arm was broken again and my ribs were cracked,” he said according to U.S. News. The North Vietnamese wanted a confession for crimes committed against the North Vietnamese people. After holding out for four days, McCain, at the point of suicide, agreed to write a confession. Looking back on his decision, McCain reflected “I felt just terrible about it… Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine,” he said, according to the report.

None of us can say how long we'd hold out in that situation.

What we do know is that Cadet Bonespurs had connections to make very, very sure that he'd never have to risk that kind of thing. Which is why he regards us as "suckers" and "losers."

And of course McCain never called himself a hero, nor told anyone else to say he was. He had no need to do so. His service made that clear for any person who values America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

McCain, as the son of an admiral, was offered an early release by the North Vietnamese jailers. He refused it. He was beaten and tortured to the point that his arms never did function fully again.

McCain says his torture began in August of 1968. “For the next four days, I was beaten every two or three hours by different guards. My left arm was broken again and my ribs were cracked,” he said according to U.S. News. The North Vietnamese wanted a confession for crimes committed against the North Vietnamese people. After holding out for four days, McCain, at the point of suicide, agreed to write a confession. Looking back on his decision, McCain reflected “I felt just terrible about it… Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine,” he said, according to the report.

None of us can say how long we'd hold out in that situation.

What we do know is that Cadet Bonespurs had connections to make very, very sure that he'd never have to risk that kind of thing. Which is why he regards us as "suckers" and "losers."

And of course McCain never called himself a hero, nor told anyone else to say he was. He had no need to do so. His service made that clear for any person who values America.
What a bunch of baloney.. "The North Vietnamese, upon discovering that McCain’s father was an admiral in the Navy, decided to give him medical care, according to U.S. News." " Discovering?" The code of conduct was name, rank, and serial number. Who do you think told them?

As I previously stated: "It's a unique situation in that McCain portrayed himself so much as a hero--he would surround himself with people who would call him a hero and then the "Shucks, I'm no hero" line. That false portrayal allowed the press to very much ignore his numerous unethical actions." How in the world do you claim to know what McCain supposedly did not tell "anyone else?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟373,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What a bunch of baloney.. "The North Vietnamese, upon discovering that McCain’s father was an admiral in the Navy, decided to give him medical care, according to U.S. News." " Discovering?" The code of conduct was name, rank, and serial number. Who do you think told them?
Yeah, they probably wouldn't be able to figure that out from readily available sources in the media. C'mon. McCain, when offered early release by the North Vietnamese, told them he wouldn't accept it until everyone captured before him was released.

As I previously stated: "It's a unique situation in that McCain portrayed himself so much as a hero
He said he didn't consider himself a hero. A lot of other veterans did. Go figure.

How in the world do you claim to know what McCain supposedly did not tell "anyone else?"
Because he publicly said he didn't consider himself a hero.

McCain said he doesn't view himself as a hero, but said the people he served with are the ones who deserve more from Trump.
“When Mr. Trump said he prefers to be with people who are not captured, well, the great honor of my life was to serve in the company of heroes," McCain said Monday. "I’m not a hero. But those who were my senior ranking officers…those that inspired us to do things we otherwise wouldn’t have been capable of doing, those are the people that I think he owes an apology to.”

Cadet Bone Spurs isn't fit to shine McCain's shoes.

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟220,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, they probably wouldn't be able to figure that out from readily available sources in the media. C'mon. McCain, when offered early release by the North Vietnamese, told them he wouldn't accept it until everyone captured before him was released.
The military code of conduct required only name, rank, and serial number. The enemy may tell you anything, McCain had survivor school training where they teach avoiding giving out information. An old ploy, you can see it in the TV series Combat series about World War II, is when they tell a prisoner (on the show it was a German prisoner) that you might not be given medicare care because you have nothing to offer. McCain decided to violate the military code of conduct and tell the enemy his father was an admiral. McCain told them plenty more, thus a media headline referred to him as "songbird." He should have known better, he had been rescued from drowning, but he decided to give them information. In Hanoi, the top ranking American officers decided and put out orders that no one was to take early release, if one went home they all went home. Refusing to obey could result in court martial. They made one exception, a POW named Hegdahl. Mr. McCain's numerous unethical actions as a U.S. senator sadly were very much excused because of the "hero" status played up by the media.
He caused a lot of hardships for POW/MIA families and if not for his interference it is quite possible there might have been much better outcomes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In addition to the alleged statements about service members generally,
A vietnam vet over 60 or maybe 80 years old,

about a year ago,

stated clearly why the usa sent young men to fight in vietnam.

"They are too dumb and naive to know better." They found out the hard way , of course, that they were not told the truth before , or after, they went and "served".

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,129,765.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The military code of conduct required only name, rank, and serial number. The enemy may tell you anything, McCain had survivor school training where they teach avoiding giving out information. An old ploy, you can see it in the TV series Combat series about World War II, is when they tell a prisoner (on the show it was a German prisoner) that you might not be given medicare care because you have nothing to offer. McCain decided to violate the military code of conduct and tell the enemy his father was an admiral. McCain told them plenty more, thus a media headline referred to him as "songbird." He should have known better, he had been rescued from drowning, but he decided to give them information. In Hanoi, the top ranking American officers decided and put out orders that no one was to take early release, if one went home they all went home. Refusing to obey could result in court martial. They made one exception, a POW named Hegdahl. Mr. McCain's numerous unethical actions as a U.S. senator sadly were very much excused because of the "hero" status played up by the media.
He caused a lot of hardships for POW/MIA families and if not for his interference it is quite possible there might have been much better outcomes.
And then there's Mr. Trump, who spirited highly classified info from the White House to store in his country club bathroom to exchange with despots for things like hotels in Moscow.

We know which one was the hero. God bless you, Senator McCain. RIP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟373,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
McCain decided to violate the military code of conduct and tell the enemy his father was an admiral.
Show us that. Did you think that the North Vietnamese intelligence wouldn't have known such a thing? C'mon. It's despicable to libel a deceased war hero. Unless you have some evidence to back up your claim, you owe McCain and his family an apology. What do you have? I'll ask again, if you forget.

And then there's Mr. Trump, who spirited highly classified info from the White House to store in his country club bathroom to exchange with despots for things like hotels in Moscow.

Says it all.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟373,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today's winner.

There's a reason Trump was the first republican candidate in generations to have lost the military vote. We know him, and what he is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟112,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Trump did not call service men suckers and losers!

More liberal lies. Unnamed soruces. People who where actually there and unafraid to put their name to it deny this ever happened.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟373,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump did not call service men suckers and losers!
We have Trump's denials and the assertions of veterans and others who were there. Why would anyone believe a compulsive liar like Trump?

The point is, veterans and military people know who to believe. That's why trump is the first republican presidential candidate in generations to lose the military vote. We got his number.

According to the well-regarded Military Times poll conducted in July-August of just over 1,000 troops of all ranks, his support among the military is about 38% with a favorable view and nearly 50% holding an unfavorable view, including 42% who “strongly” disapprove of his time in office. The same poll has former Vice President Biden leading Trump by 4% points, 37% to 41%. This is particularly surprising given traditional support for the Republican party among the military; Trump’s repeated claims about how popular he is with the force; and his strong push to increase defense spending. President Trump has essentially reversed his favorable/unfavorable numbers over his four years in office, declining by almost 10% points in favorability, and increasing unfavorable views by 13%. All this before The Atlantic’s reports of Trump calling military dead in a cemetery in Europe “suckers and losers.” Conceivably his numbers are even worse now.

All of this tracks with my own personal observations and conversations with many active duty military members over the last few years. While the officer cadre tends to be even more unfavorable toward the President than some of the junior enlisted force, what is remarkable is the level of the reversal from 2016. The President is now finding himself underwater essentially across all ranks of the force.

Trump's relationships with well-respected generals didn't help, either. James Mattis is well-regarded by the troops, and his word carries weight with them. Trump threw a major tantrum when Mattis criticized him for using troops to clear a public area for his "holding a Bible aloft" fiasco:

On Monday evening, law enforcement forcibly removed protesters from Lafayette Square outside the White House ahead of a 7 p.m. citywide curfew, just before Trump walked from the White House across the park to take part in a photo opportunity at St. John’s Church, which had been briefly set on fire by demonstrators Sunday evening.

Trump and his administration have been widely criticized for events that took place on Monday.

“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution,” Mattis wrote Wednesday. “Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

Trump fired back calling Mattis the most overrated general. Bad idea. Mattis handled him nicely:

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟112,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have Trump's denials and the assertions of veterans and others who were there.
Names please of the accusers. Public statements from said accusers. Evidence ? Unnamed sources are not credible.

Upvote 0