• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Smoking

thrash

Mar 6, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟268.00
Faith
Methodist
Yeah probably my biggest addiction. I have been smoking cigarettes since I was 16 so probably 4 or 5 years. I've tried to quite maybe 2 or 3 times. I think the longest probably 3 or 4 months. I am actually going to try again but I'm not sure if I will be able to. :| It just becoming expensive and I can't really afford it, though I find ways to. I like it and I hate it I guess. I'm pretty confused with the whole situation. Anybody else out there like me? Or any advice? Oh also to add my consumtion at its worst about a year ago was probably a pack a day, Now I usually go through a pack every 4 or 5. I don't smoke around my girlfriend or my parents anymore so usually just at work.

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:wave: One thing I read once which may help, "Dont quit trying to quit" basically dont give up. If you try and quit and fail try again. You'll get ther in the end. You could start by cutting down, get your body to adjust gradually to less Nicotine. Going old turkey is a pretty crash course way of doing it. The main thing is will power. If you decide you will only have one pack a week stick with it.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
thrash said:
Yeah probably my biggest addiction. I have been smoking cigarettes since I was 16 so probably 4 or 5 years. I've tried to quite maybe 2 or 3 times. I think the longest probably 3 or 4 months. I am actually going to try again but I'm not sure if I will be able to. :| It just becoming expensive and I can't really afford it, though I find ways to. I like it and I hate it I guess. I'm pretty confused with the whole situation. Anybody else out there like me? Or any advice? Oh also to add my consumtion at its worst about a year ago was probably a pack a day, Now I usually go through a pack every 4 or 5. I don't smoke around my girlfriend or my parents anymore so usually just at work.

Hi there!

:wave:

I vowed to quit every day...

Every day for about 3-4 years... I vowed to quit... every day.

And one day, I quit. (I used patches)

Then, when I got my "breath" back, I started running/walking to try and reverse the effects of smoking.

Now... I have bad knees

<grin>

Bad knees won't kill you.

I don't think anyone who quits regrets it. Christians will tell you that your smoking is an abuse of your body and your body is the temple for the Holy Spirit... then those same people will overindulge food, or drugs, or alcohol, or caffeine... or abuse their body by running/walking too much.

<still grinning>

Most people don't quit their first try... but that is the key, just keep trying to quit, and someday, you will overcome. God delivers people in different ways from the "strongholds" in our lives.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
It isn't easy, but it is definately worth it.

I kept waiting for the perfect time to quit .... until I finally realized that there was no perfect time. I quit cold turkey ... I don't think that the patch was out on the market yet. After just a few days, I could breathe better. My husband said that he noticed a difference in how I breathed when I was sleeping. I wasn't even aware that my breathing wasn't normal. I noticed the wonder smells that I had been missing for years.

You asked for tips, so here are a few ideas.

1. Pick a quit date and stick to it.
2. Tell people
3. Change your routine if possible
4. Drink lots of water
5. Exercise - Taking a walk is fine
6. Find something to do with your hands.
7. When you want a smoke really bad, stop and do some long slow deep breathing. For some reason that helped get me past the worst urges to smoke.
8. Last but not least, ask God for help. It was when I admitted to God that I could not quit without his help that I was finally on the road to being smoke free.

Upvote 0

Blazin4Christ

Glory to God, and God alone.
Mar 16, 2004
U.S.A., East Coast,
✟912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
thrash said:

do as much as you can to stop man, cigarrets are so deadly to yuor body, my grandfather only smoke for 8 years but he might have lung cancer now, he was my last grampa too, he probably wont be able to see me graduate, if you really want to break away from it seek advice and try gum chewing or something, but if it al doesn't work well than take it to God in prayer, because he will help you,

Upvote 0

thrash

Mar 6, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟268.00
Faith
Methodist
Thanks everybody for the help, comments ect. I have tried again and its now the 9th day since I've had one. I even filled up with gas and didn't pick any up at the gas station ( though how could you with gas price right? hehe). It was a little hard at work but I managed to keep myself busy and I totally forgot. I'm gettin laid off though and I know I will have more time to spend with my friends who smoke. So social wise I may need some more help with it... I guess time will tell.

:D

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thrash said:
Thanks everybody for the help, comments ect. I have tried again and its now the 9th day since I've had one. I even filled up with gas and didn't pick any up at the gas station ( though how could you with gas price right? hehe). It was a little hard at work but I managed to keep myself busy and I totally forgot. I'm gettin laid off though and I know I will have more time to spend with my friends who smoke. So social wise I may need some more help with it... I guess time will tell.

:D
I used to carry bags of hard candy in my pocket for the times I'd reach for a cigarette. It helped me quit - cold turkey and hard candy ;) .

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
I used to carry menthol cough drops. Maybe I was addicted to the menthol as well!

I'm glad that it is going so well for you! :clap:

I wanted to warn you that I think that many people who have recently quit reach a point in which they are tempted to believe that they can just have one ... But that is exactly how many start again.

If you should slip, don't give up! Just start again, and remind yourself that you are now an "ex-smoker."

Upvote 0

1whoseeks

Jun 27, 2004
✟119.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I started smoking when I was 15. I smoked a pack a day from the time I was 16-29 yrs. old. I actually quit for 3 years (1999 - 2002) but, in the Summer of 2002 I started back up again. Since then I've been chain smoking like a chimney. I found these forums tonight and I have decided that I want to start changing my life and finding the way back to God again. I threw out my cigarettes 3 hours ago and I plan to quit smoking again. Please pray for me to have the willpower to not smoke this week.

I plan on taking it one week at a time.

Thank you!

:)

1whoseeks

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟578,064.44
Faith
Messianic
My own experience with smoking was one of cutting down to one cigarette a day. Gettin gup in the morning was hard, because it was the first thing I wanted, then after a good meal, to light up was great. To sit and enjoy the company of others while flicking the ashes after a good drag was great. But I was sick of smoking and wanted to quit. I was also at this time coming under the conviction of the Lord to be baptised. I told the Lord that I could not be baptised smoking, and that I would have to quit first. The pastor was wanting to know when I would and I explained to him that I could not until I quit smoking. The battle to quit was hard, and I would celebrate a whole day without a cigarette with a cigarette. I was smoking a pack and 1/2 to 2 packs a day when this all started, just to give you an idea of how addicted I was. Anyway, I was praying that I would have victory over this habit, because I really was under mighty convictions to be baptised in His name. That night I dreamed that I was standing before Jesus. I was not worthy to look at Him so I looked at His chest, but you know it doesn't take long before you know you are not even worthy to look at His chest so I looked at His feet, but I am not worthy to look at His feet so I looked at my own....there was a pack of cigarettes by my feet,....I quickly kick them out of sight...they reappear... I kick them again....back ...kick...back..kick...back..."Let me take them' the Lord says....I woke up.

Now I had just bought two whole cartons, and one had just been opened, it was laying by my nightstand open with a couple of cigarettes gone. God has taken the cigarettes away....for the next forty days,....I hillucinated cigarettes between my fingers, I imagined the feel of the cigarette between my lips. I had no desire or craving for the cigarette, that God took away. The devil was just tempting me and I refused. I was baptised and have never touched a cigarette since. That was 20 years ago.

Upvote 0

kez

Apr 14, 2004
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Well , I just quit smoking 3 months ago, and it has been the hardest thing Ive ever done....well it was hard for the first couple of weeks then things got better, much better. Now its just a mind game...whos stronger? me or my addiction and I always say to myself that the battle is not mine. Jesus is fighting it for me. It helps, but times of stress I forget and think I could smoke again...such an awful addiction, I wish Id never started. Anyhow remember to drink lots of water (it helps to fluch nicotine and toxins out), exersice (it helps with mood), and pray ALOT !!

Upvote 0