KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The below is a recent item concerning Cliff Richard, the former British 'pop idol' and active Christian since 1965. Extremely popular in Britain, Australia, and Canada since 1958, Cliff Richard never achieved the same success within the U.S. music industry. The song Living Doll, however, DID take the singer to the top of the U.S. charts in 1958. To this day, the name Cliff Richard (knighted by the Queen) is instantly recognizable to young and old in those countries that made him a 'star'.

YAHOO NEWS!

Sir Cliff sharing life with ex-priest

September 5, 2008, 7:23 am

Sir Cliff Richard has used his autobiography to reveal details about his close friendship with a former Roman Catholic priest.
In his book, titled My Life, My Way, the 67-year-old former pop idol describes Father John McElynn as his "companion".
Sir Cliff, whose sexuality has long been the subject of speculation, met the American former missionary while visiting New York in 2001.
Not long after, McElynn took a sabbatical.
"He hadn't had any thought at the beginning of giving up the priesthood, but when it became clear he was thinking of the possibility, I suggested he might help me with some charitable projects," Sir Cliff's book says, according to extracts published in the Daily Express newspaper.
"That was seven years ago and our arrangement has worked out really well.
"John now spends most of his time looking after my properties, which means I don't have to.
"John and I have over time struck up a close friendship.
"He has also become a companion, which is great because I don't like living alone, even now."
On the years of speculation about his sexuality, Sir Cliff says he is "sick to death" about it but expresses his support for same-sex relationships.
"What business is it of anyone else's what any of us are as individuals," he writes.
"I don't think my fans would care either way.
"Same-sex marriages are perhaps a modern example of how things have changed. I think the church must come round and see people as they are now.
"Gone are the days when we assumed loving relationships would be solely between men and women.
"In the end, I believe, people are going to be judged for what they are.
"It seems to me that commitment is the issue, and if anyone comes to me and says: `This is my partner, we are committed to each other' then I don't care what their sexuality is.
"I'm not going to judge, I'll leave that to God."
Sir Cliff also says while he has twice considered getting married - to dancer Jackie Irving and tennis player Sue Barker - he has no current plans to tie the knot.
"People often make the mistake of thinking that only marriage equals happiness," his book says.
"I may suddenly meet someone and feel differently, but right now I am not sure marriage would enhance my happiness."

Andreusz

Aug 10, 2008
South Africa
✟9,551.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can't he just openly state that he's in a gay relaitonship? What on earth has he got to lose? His career is over, he lives in a relatively tolerant country, he's got plenty of money, and it's unlikely that his fans will desert him. People like Ian McKellan are much more admirable.

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True, it may not be. But then, couldn't he just be explicit about what is the case?

Do you think this might be a case of Cliff having just one foot out of the closet? :) He's obviously denied that he's 'gay' for so long that it would make him look like a liar if he was to come 'right out'. I'm sure that his fans would understand his reasons for being dishonest since many people have been 'encouraged' by the Church into lying about 'who' they are. THAT is actually a sad indictment about the Christian Church in general. Remember, Cliff is a professed Christian and has been since 1965.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Baby steps. Let's not be tough. Sure, it'd be better if he just came out all the way but look at his age. He's of an older generation whose homophobia and heterosexism is more pronounced than ours. As we all know, much of that is internalized.

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The man made it clear that it doesn't really matter, so what is the deal?

He said it didn't matter in regard to 'others'. He still might be a tad queazy about fessing up to his own 'gayness' if he is indeed 'gay'.

Then again, he might just want companionship. Good for him whatever the reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Morrigu

Apr 12, 2008
Where am I? at 22, and seeking a goal for my life
✟15,358.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
He said it didn't matter in regard to 'others'. He still might be a tad queazy about fessing up to his own 'gayness' if he is indeed 'gay'.

Of course, but that is just a polite way of saying "**** off, what the h*ll do you care?"...

So, what does the rest of the world care?

then again that is just my own problems with the public live of celebrities

Upvote 0